Armed and Running From a Dog - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Armed and Running From a Dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I think you need to read and experience a little more about the subject, good dogs don't come like that out of the box................
No kidding you have to train them. They're very smart dogs though and they can handle it. Again another reason the military and police force use them for defense, drug sniffing and bomb searching. I have family members who own dogs I think I know a decent amount about them and how to train them.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 PM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

For the most part yes they do come out of the box like that. You just have to focus them into what you want them to do.

Believe me I trained a gsd in 2 hours from knowing nothing to all the basics sit stay down, heal, over, ect........ Two hours is all it took.

The way these dogs act this way is their pray drive. The hearding dogs and working dogs and sporting (Hunting) dogs all have had their pray drive modified over the years so now it is natural.

The best hunting dog I ever had was a cocker spanile that we didn't even train to sit and stay. She would stay on my left leg while I was shooting untill I told her to go get the darn bird. She would go get it and bring it back to me and set it right in my hand soft as can be.

You can't see it but the dog is foaming at the mouth.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #13

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Old 09-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Military working dogs are some of the best dogs on the planet in my opinion.

I've always had a respect for the K9 Corp.

Plus, those pics look like fun.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick214 View Post
No kidding you have to train them. They're very smart dogs though and they can handle it. Again another reason the military and police force use them for defense, drug sniffing and bomb searching. I have family members who own dogs I think I know a decent amount about them and how to train them.
I have been professionally training law enforcement dogs since 1970, in procurement, training and operational deployment and still continue to do so, and I don't know it all. You submitted the post and there is no need for sarcasm, you can't train a dog by proxy, or out of a book. What does 'they can handle it mean?'

Certain sporting breeds have an imprinted genetic ability, to retrieve and quarter. The large breeds such as the GSD need to be trained for obedience and control. Any halfwit and get his GSD to bite, the skill and training is not getting him to bite through obedience and control....anyway judging by you other posts I am wasting my time I can tell so best leave it here..........

Old 09-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #16

Quote:
I have been professionally training law enforcement dogs since 1970, in procurement, training and operational deployment and still continue to do so, and I don't know it all. You submitted the post and there is no need for sarcasm,
Good for you, you want an award. Your the one that came out acting like the know it all smart ass. That there was no need for.

Quote:
Certain sporting breeds have an imprinted genetic ability, to retrieve and quarter. The large breeds such as the GSD need to be trained for obedience and control. Any halfwit and get his GSD to bite, the skill and training is not getting him to bite through obedience and control....anyway judging by you other posts I am wasting my time I can tell so best leave it here..........
You just repeated everything I said, it comes down to training. Again they're very smart dogs.

Last edited by Slickrick214; 09-23-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick214 View Post
Good for you, you want an award. Your the one that came out acting like the know it all smart ass. That there was no need for.

You just repeated everything I said, it comes down to training. Again they're very smart dogs.

No thanks I have had plenty of awards, I certainly wouldn't be looking for anything from an individual who was so well read, but lacking life experience, knowledge and basic manners. I am unlikely to reapeat anything you say because as in almost all of your posts you utter absolute tripe..........

Old 09-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetson View Post
Funniest thing I ever did see,my wife's 6 pound chihuahua unload 6 pound of whoop ass on
a 100 pound german shepherd mix. Luv,took great offense that some stranger was coming towards her master so she chased the 100 pound mutt out of
our yard. We stood there laughing in disbelief.
I know just what you mean , any fight whether it is dogs or people can have an unexpected outcome .

I also had as a kid a mix breed dog that looked like a little barrel with legs and fur that weighed about 40 lb's , one day sitting on the porch the clown up the street with his 200 lb Great Dane came down towards our house with the dog walking in the yards .

The owner didn't like cleaning up after the the thing so would walk it and let it crap in other peoples yards . As they approached I warned him not to let it in my yard or he would get his ass kicked by Cindy my little barrel with fur .

The owner laughed and said his Dane would kill her and all I said was well then I guess we'll see you moron .

Cindy was hyper protective of her territory and family and when his Dane got in the yard she shot under it and began attacking by going after it's belly .

It was bleeding pretty good by the time he managed to pull it out of my yard and Cindy didn't have a scratch on her . The damn fool was just lucky Cindy had a thing for breaking off an attack once the threat was out of the yard , when it was back in the street where it belonged she just stood there on the property line nose to nose with the Dane snarling in his face .

Funny thing , he never walked his Dane on our side of the street again .

Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 AM   #19

Ive got a new little Belgian Shephard Malinois sitting in his kennel right now sleeping. He's like a smaller German Shephard, but when he grows up he should be around 75lbs. Smart little feller and cant wait til he's big enough to want to chew BG's arms off.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

We'd been dog-free for the 2 years or so since I took our old Black Lab in to have her put down, when Mrs. Noids informed me that she was on the list for a Chihuahua puppy.
There are very few things in this world which would aggravate me more than a Chihuahua, so I figured that she was pulling my chain.......
I figure that if I stuffed the damned thing full of lead sinkers and attached it to a long pole with some chain or cable, I might be able to swing it hard enough to stun someone. Or get them laughing so hard that they forget what they came here for.
It worked out in the long run. She got the ....."thing" (I refuse to call it a dog.) and I got the XD-9. If things keep going the way they are, I may be the first member here to have a genuine Chihuahua-hide holster.