Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Armed Homeowner Drives Away Intruder, Police Say

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Armed Homeowner Drives Away Intruder, Police Say

Armed Homeowner Drives Away Intruder, Police Say

By KRISTA KLAUS

kklaus@wfla.com
A Tampa man faces felony armed burglary charges after a home invasion in Lake Wales this morning.

Police said two children, ages 3 and 3 months, were inside the home at 1261 Grove Ave. about 10:30 a.m. when a burglar pried open a rear sliding glass door with a crowbar. The startled homeowner fired off seven rounds from a .380 handgun.

"It's a disturbing scene especially with children inside. I know the homeowner is shaken up right now," said Lake Wales Assistant Police Chief Christopher Velasquez.

The bullets hit the suspect, 45-year-old Michael Collins, in the head and arm, police said. Collins had parked his van in the home's driveway and tried to drive away but crashed a couple hundred feet away in an orange grove, they added.

Officers apprehended Collins, who was airlifted to Lakeland Regional Hospital for treatment for his injuries. He is expected to recover.

Collins is charged with first-degree felony armed burglary and possession of burglary tools.

Detectives said the homeowner did not know Collins prior to the home invasion.

Neighbor Luis Hernandez praised the homeowner for taking swift action to protect his family.

"We're glad because he's not going to come back here," Hernandez said.

Armed Homeowner Drives Away Intruder, Police Say

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

A couple of very funny and sarcastic comments after the article I thought you guys might like.

Another example of gun violence. Why didn't the homeowner try talking to the victim first ? Crooks have rights too.

Yeah, what happened to diplomacy? Our new president says we should sit down and discuss things rationally with the enemy and then GIVE them a big bailout check with no questions asked. How dare this homeowner shoot first without asking what the intruder wanted?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 03-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #3

Hoora Home owner! Bonus points for the headshot!

"The Tree of Liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I bet you won't see this article on the national news.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

They FLEW him to the hospital? Aw hell no.

Double taps.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
They FLEW him to the hospital? Aw hell no.

Double taps.
If you were a criminal, got shot busting into a home, Would you REALLY want to spend a huge part of your life in the clinker?

He's not getting an easy way out of punishment this way.

"The Tree of Liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So he gets a chopper ride, care to guess what that costs? I'm sure his excellent health insurance will cover it, and it won't get dumped on us.

And of course, it's guaranteed he'll do hard time, since there are no liberal judges.

The state should buy the woman a .45. She did an excellent job, just not enough gun.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
It said the neighbor" praised the homeowner for taking swift action to protect his family"
So, what was a dude doing with a .380 - Props for defending the house, but c'mon now, you need a man's weapon to do a man's job here. No way that guy lives if he busts into Benning's or Ineff's house with the same plan...

I'm just saying...

Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #9

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
So, what was a dude doing with a .380 - Props for defending the house, but c'mon now, you need a man's weapon to do a man's job here. No way that guy lives if he busts into Benning's or Ineff's house with the same plan...

I'm just saying...
Mine either, between the NEF pump in the bedroom loaded with 00 buck and my 1911 with them big nasty hollow points, I would have split his head wide open like a melon. No need for follow up shots.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-21-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I paid $400 for a copter ride for me and mine when we were in Maui and booked it weeks in advance. This guy got a VIP copter ride for breaking into someone's home? All the same it might of been a .380 but it ended the threat and the bad guy had enough damage to need a airlift. So the homeowner did a good job keeping his family safe. Still if he up graded his firearm the copter wouln't of been required.

My wake up in the middle of the night WTF firearm is a S&W M&P 45 with a light/laser combo. Pretty certain if the bad comes to my house there will be no need for an airlift.