Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Archery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I just got a PSE Nova SU, went to Walley World and bought some Arrows, bought a few other do-dads and went off shooting yesterday, bow set at 60lbs and man my left bicep and right shoulder is sore as heck today but, it was alot of fun, didn't lose any arrows and did ok from 15-20 yards. don't know what I am doing but no biggie, it is like very thing else.........practice,practice. fun though

Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

WOW!
I didn't realize there was so much to it. It was much simpler in the 60's, but then what wasn't? I obviously came to the right place to ask. Thanks very much.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 08-13-2008, 04:22 AM   #13

I have been making recurves for a few years now. There is a fair bit involved in it, and I would have to charge a lot to make it a viable career but as something to do onece in a while it is fun.

What was said above about cracks in the limbs, +1000! When a limb breaks, it can be very violent!!! I have seen this happen firsthand when some contamination got onto the laminations in a recurve limb ( about a 60 pounder too!) and about the best outcome is that you punch yourself VERY hard in the face. Black eye territory or worse......especially if you get fibreglass splinters in there..........

NEVER dry fire a bow!

Compounds are easy to shoot, especially when set up with release aid, sights, special rests etc but are expensive to buy and set up.

Recurves are nice to shoot, but don't have the let off on a compound. They require a bit more skill and practice but are very rewarding.

The most rewqarding and potentially cheapest bow is a primitive barebow longbow. It is all about the skill, with no accessories to help you. Archery stripped to the basics.
Much like going out with a flintlock musket and bagging a deer.
Not for everyone but extreme fun if you get into it.

I find a glove is better than a tab if finger shooting, not relevant if using a release aid.
Get an arm guard! String slap hurts!!

Carbon shafts are cool but expensive, you almost cry if you lose one!
Ally shafts are good, but the best fun is making your own arrows and fletching and cresting them from cedar shafts, then you get right into it and start doing footed shafts and dyeing and cutting your own feathers and so on........

Jump in feet first and have fun!!!

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!