Anyone want to help test a firearm inventory app I've developing? - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone want to help test a firearm inventory app I've developing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Wolf : Thanks for all the hard work!

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #92

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Do you guys have to keep detailed inventories of guns and ammo? Or is it just retailers? Do sales of ammo get recorded, too?

Wow.

I bought a rifle in January and when they insisted on writing down my name, I told them I would never be back and if anyone else in AB had that particular gun in stock (they didnt'), I would have left it on the counter. Then, I asked for the supervisor and also gave him a piece of my mind. I meant it. I will never buy another guy at that store. Writing down this stuff in the stores is only one small step away from a full-blown Registry, IMO. Been there, done that. Never again.

As it turns out, I didn't like the gun and sold it to a guy named "Jim" from Calgary. Still, the point is valid.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 06-05-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #93
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
Do you guys have to keep detailed inventories of guns and ammo? Or is it just retailers? Do sales of ammo get recorded, too?

Wow.

I bought a rifle in January and when they insisted on writing down my name, I told them I would never be back and if anyone else in AB had that particular gun in stock (they didnt'), I would have left it on the counter. Then, I asked for the supervisor and also gave him a piece of my mind. I meant it. I will never buy another guy at that store. Writing down this stuff in the stores is only one small step away from a full-blown Registry, IMO. Been there, done that. Never again.

As it turns out, I didn't like the gun and sold it to a guy named "Jim" from Calgary. Still, the point is valid.
For MOST of the US, we are not required to keep records of our guns. (Not sure about the Communist States, I wouldn't put it past them)

It's smart to keep a record though. If a gun is stolen, the only way to find it is the serial number. If you sell a gun, it is also smart to have a record of who you sold that gun to. That way, if it is used in a crime, and the police somehow come talk to you about it, you can send them in the right direction.

Also, some people like to just keep a record of how much ammo they've put through their gun. For numerous reasons. Mostly personal preference.

Gun dealers on the other hand HAVE to keep a record of a gun sale for about 15-20 years. When we buy a gun, we fill out a form with our basic info on it (name, address, ect). They keep that form, then can destroy it after 15-20 years.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #94
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3178 Times on 2158 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Default App

Thanks again for the App! learning both the MAC OS version and the iOS version...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #95
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Wolf : Thanks for all the hard work!
Glad I can provide a product you like

Organize your firearms, ammo, accessories and more!

http://MyGunDB.com -- Grab your free copy today!
People Like This 
Old 06-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #96

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
For MOST of the US, we are not required to keep records of our guns. (Not sure about the Communist States, I wouldn't put it past them)

It's smart to keep a record though. If a gun is stolen, the only way to find it is the serial number. If you sell a gun, it is also smart to have a record of who you sold that gun to. That way, if it is used in a crime, and the police somehow come talk to you about it, you can send them in the right direction.

Also, some people like to just keep a record of how much ammo they've put through their gun. For numerous reasons. Mostly personal preference.

Gun dealers on the other hand HAVE to keep a record of a gun sale for about 15-20 years. When we buy a gun, we fill out a form with our basic info on it (name, address, ect). They keep that form, then can destroy it after 15-20 years.
Thanks for the info. I see the concern gun controllers would have with hypothetical straw purchasers - they can't tell where the guns went.

I understand the business about keeping info on one's personal firearms. That makes sense for insurance purposes if nothing else. It's the part about someone else gathering and storing (and sharing?) that information against my will that bothers me.

I won't buy a gun from someone who wants to makes notes. Nor buy ammunition from someone who wants to make notes, for that matter.

I do not believe that such records have ever been proved to do any measurable good, either in crime-fighting or in public safety; not in the reading I've done anyway and I've done a lot. In fact, I am aware of research that positively proves it does no good for homicide rates. Could it make police work easier in the sense of catching a BG? Possibly.

Barcodes tattooed on our foreheads would no doubt be very useful to police armed with scanners so they can keep track of who was where and when and I reject that, too. Just naturally crotchety, I guess.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrage

Glad I can provide a product you like
Can we add fields to the iOs version as if we're Adding info to a std. database? I'd want to add my ballistics records for range trips to the files of the Guns i'm shooting the most..

Thanks!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #98
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Can we add fields to the iOs version as if we're Adding info to a std. database? I'd want to add my ballistics records for range trips to the files of the Guns i'm shooting the most..

Thanks!
Not yet - the phone screen size makes it hard to duplicate all the functionality of the desktop app but I'm working on it. Range log and ammo sections are coming though.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #99
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Default MyGunDB v1.99.10 released! Now With GunBroker and BlueBook of Guns!

New version 1.99.10 released!

* GunBroker.com integration
* BlueBookOfGunValues.com integration
* Various tweaks
* Now with 80% more Tiger strength
* This is an interim version while I work on a bug for syncing with mobile devices.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #100

I have been using it on my Mac, but less on my iOS devices. I will try your new one out. Running 10.9.X on my MacBook Pro & Mac Mini, and 10.8.6 on my 2008 upgraded iMac.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Wolfrage Likes This