Anyone want to go in with me on a space shuttle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone want to go in with me on a space shuttle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Default Anyone want to go in with me on a space shuttle?

Inspired by Tango's thread.

We could put an FTF decal on it!

Space Shuttle for Sale -- Cheap : Discovery News

Quote:
It's not going to help financially strapped homeowners, but the U.S. government sweetened the pot for museums and institutions hoping to snare a space shuttle for their collections. The new asking price -- which basically covers travel costs -- is a recession-friendly $28.8 million -- a markdown of more one-third off the original $42 million fee.

Technically, the shuttles aren't "for sale." They remain the property of NASA and its official repository for artifacts, the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. But the Air & Space Museum is only taking one ship -- Discovery -- which leaves Atlantis and Endeavour up for grabs -- assuming, or course, all three make it safely through their last year of flying.

The United States is retiring the fleet after five more missions to complete construction of the International Space Station. By the end of this year, the shuttles will be ready for their new mission as museum pieces.

NASA says it reduced its asking price because some of the work to decommission the shuttles, such as removing hazardous materials, would have to be done even if the shuttles ended up sitting in a hangar at the Kennedy Space Center.

"Since NASA was going to have to do that work anyway, it decided to not pass on those charges to any prospective recipients of the orbiters," says NASA spokesman Michael Curie.

In addition to ferrying the orbiters to their new homes, NASA wants the money so the ships can be spruced up to "display condition."

So far, 21 organizations have sent in proposals to adopt a shuttle. NASA expects a few more before the Feb. 19 deadline.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

If I can't fly in it, forget it.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

They should convert one into a bed & breakfast to raise money. I remember seeing one back at the world's fair in Knoxville or New Orleans, very impressive.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If I can't launch it from my back yard, they can keep the thing.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer