Anyone tried it...?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone tried it...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default Anyone tried it...?

Home brewing...Has anyone here attempted to make your own beer?
My wife got me a small kit that allows me to make beer 2.5 gallon at a time. Being I really don't drink much it seemed like the way to go (smaller fermenter)
I've since started doing a ton of research into beer making. The kit I got sells liquid malt extracts that work great but I've never been one that can just follow a recipe so I have looked to branch out. There's tons of places that sell malted grains and about anything else you can possibly want. I'm also looking at maybe growing my own hops after I learn a little more about the different types and how they work in beer.

My first brew come out of the fermenter tonight and is in bottles to carbonate then condition. It will be a while before I know if it's any good or not. The stuff that come out of the fermenter appears to be pretty good though.

So...Who else has tried it?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2014, 03:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1258 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

I make all my own alcohol !.....................

When all else fails.

People Like This 
Old 01-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #3

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Home brewing...Has anyone here attempted to make your own beer?
My wife got me a small kit that allows me to make beer 2.5 gallon at a time. Being I really don't drink much it seemed like the way to go (smaller fermenter)
I've since started doing a ton of research into beer making. The kit I got sells liquid malt extracts that work great but I've never been one that can just follow a recipe so I have looked to branch out. There's tons of places that sell malted grains and about anything else you can possibly want. I'm also looking at maybe growing my own hops after I learn a little more about the different types and how they work in beer.

My first brew come out of the fermenter tonight and is in bottles to carbonate then condition. It will be a while before I know if it's any good or not. The stuff that come out of the fermenter appears to be pretty good though.

So...Who else has tried it?
I don't home brew, but I work in a brewery, so if you have any questions I can definitely get you some answers.

Sent from my DeLorean Time Machine

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

People Like This 
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #4

Actually I do have one or two. I'm reading all over the net from small people like me to microbreweries and it seems the ferment temp and time are all over the place. Now I"m pretty sure that optimal fermenting temp and time would have to change from type of brew to another. What I'm making mostly (trying really..lol) are different ales and maybe a lager or two. The one I got in a bottle carbonating now is a med light lager. I was of the understanding that it would have to stay in the first fermenting stage for at least two weeks. My yeast stopped looking active on one week though. After looking around it seems that isn't all that uncommon so I thought I"d bottle at least some of it and see what happened. It fermented at a pretty steady temp of 70-72 F. I see a lot of people saying though that getting over 70f can produce off flavors and that I should have been between 60-68F. So I might have some funky beer Any info you might be abler to provide me for a good fermenting temp would be great.

I'm naturally fermenting so I wont be able to really see what's up for a couple weeks. I used cane sugar to prime the bottles. I head corn sugar works better and I do have some coming but my fermenting stopped about a week short so I was caught with my beer drawers down I guess there. It's supposed to just make a more loose head with the cane sugar so that's no big deal for me at this point. I'm still experimenting.

This first batch I used a liquid malt extract with a common ale yeast. So the boil phase was not as important and I didn't have to add hops to this recipe unless I really wanted to. But I thought for a novice sticking to the recipe as it was written to be the smarter rout to go. I was very careful to not pitch the yeast too worm though. I was at around78-80F when I pitched the yeast.

I'm worried that this first batch might not have done real well. Using a hydrometer I was able to calculate alcohol content around 3.8. That was pretty close to the target so that was a little calming. I mainly want to find out where the best temp range is to ferment.

My next run will be an all grain Montana Brown Ale So it will be pretty much entirely different and I think the learning curve will be a bit more sharp. I'll have to pay real close attention to the boil phase.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Been wanting to for a long time. I have a friend that does it like clockwork. #1 rule is clean your equipment thoroughly!!! Any contaminants will ruin your hard work and.you'll have to start all over.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 01-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
I don't home brew, but I work in a brewery,

Sent from my DeLorean Time Machine
You just increased your friend count

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

My father brews. Avoid the cheap "Mr.beer" (iirc) kits. As stated sterilization is key. If a beer sucks, let it sit longer. Same with wine.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #8

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
My father brews. Avoid the cheap "Mr.beer" (iirc) kits. As stated sterilization is key. If a beer sucks, let it sit longer. Same with wine.

Lol. I got a Mr Beer kit for Christmas. I rarely drink beer so it was an unusual gift. The included Czech beer mix is now in bottles and has a few more days to ferment in front of the fireplace.
I'm going to take a stab at hard cider next or a darker beer.
I cleaned the equipment well with bleach and the oxygen no rinse powder the kit comes with so I think it should turn out well.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post

Actually The Mr Beer ingredients are made by Cooper Brewery in Australia now. They are one of the largest and older brewers in Aus. They (Mr Beer) have become much better from what I understand. I'm not using their LME though.

Very right about sanitation though. It's extremely important every step of the way. I'm using Star San for that.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 755 Times on 388 Posts

My wife said she is going to surprise me with this (at my suggestion).

http://morebeer.com/products/russian-rivers-pliny-elder-extract-beer-kit.html

I'm way too excited!!! Supposedly IPA is much more difficult to screw up.