anyone make knives?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > anyone make knives?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default anyone make knives?

This thread over on JF got me wondering how many of you guys make knives?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=642520

This guy is doing some pretty nice work. Let's see yours!

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm a novice, I generally buy blade blanks and handle scales, and go from there. Guys that forge their own steel and have a grasp of metallurgy amaze me.

I found a deer antler whilst walking the dog, should make a nice handle, will post pictures when I'm done.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #3

I'm a knife collector. If anyone has nice custom designs, or just cool ideas for knives, post em up here. If i can find a good blade maker on here, you'll have a new customer.

"When trouble comes, they come not in single spies, but in battalions."
William Shakespeare

Gun control means using BOTH hands.

Guns don't kill people, Strained Peas do...

Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9553 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Have made a few blades for grins and giggles by stock removal (grinding, not forging) Stumbled on a small supply of used 24" Chrome Moly power hacksaw blades- just in case you ever want a knife that can hack thru a railroad rail ! However, is impossible to drill to attach scales for handles- can be punched or burned, but a high speed drill in a drill press just makes a small shiny spot. If anyone wants to try making their own, do some reading on different steels, heat treating and tempering, and start with the right material- bad steel will give you a junk blade, no matter how much work you put in it. 0-2 (oil quench) steel is fairly cheap, easy to work, and makes decent carbon steel blade. Your first attempt should not be 440 stainless. Learn about respiratory protection (breathing all that stuff you ground away is not good) and about NOT catching the blade on grinder/polisher and having it thrown across shop at high speed (don't ask me why I mention that- OK?)

Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #5

Have made several just for fun using stock removal methods. In a couple of weeks i will have a spot to set up a little forge so i will be experimenting more then.

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

My current passion is Khukri knives. From what i've researched, traditional ones are made from truck leaf springs.

I'm debating just how much of a pain it would be to heat, bend, and heat treat one of these.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

http://www.mccroskeyknives.com/

Here is a guy that I know of and I have seen his work and it is sweet and well worth the prices he is asking. The knives I seen were so sharp it was like holding a scalpel

Old 01-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Have made a few blades for grins and giggles by stock removal (grinding, not forging) Stumbled on a small supply of used 24" Chrome Moly power hacksaw blades- just in case you ever want a knife that can hack thru a railroad rail ! However, is impossible to drill to attach scales for handles- can be punched or burned, but a high speed drill in a drill press just makes a small shiny spot. If anyone wants to try making their own, do some reading on different steels, heat treating and tempering, and start with the right material- bad steel will give you a junk blade, no matter how much work you put in it. 0-2 (oil quench) steel is fairly cheap, easy to work, and makes decent carbon steel blade. Your first attempt should not be 440 stainless. Learn about respiratory protection (breathing all that stuff you ground away is not good) and about NOT catching the blade on grinder/polisher and having it thrown across shop at high speed (don't ask me why I mention that- OK?)
Try using a good cobalt steel bit.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-11-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARNUT1100 View Post
Have made several just for fun using stock removal methods. In a couple of weeks i will have a spot to set up a little forge so i will be experimenting more then.
I've wanted a forge since I started welding. Few things in this world are as badassed as using fire and brute force to shape metal to your will.

Roger Waters

Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've made a few knives, stock removal (grinding). If I wasn't such a techno-dolt I'd post a couple of pictures. Used ATS 34 stainless, had to send 'em out for heat treat. To drill that hard bandsaw stock, you tried hanging the blade section in a coffee can of peanut oil with a vice-grip or something and heating the tang red hot? I haven't tried it, seems like it ought to work. Have something handy to smother the flame if the oil ignites (possibly best done outdoors). Otherwise, just grind it down to a hidden tang and epoxy it into the handle material. Good luck.