You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Anyone know the value of this gold coin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Anyone know the value of this gold coin?

Hi guys, my uncle gave me this coin years ago. I'm curious to know how much is it worth. Anyone into coins?
Thank you
Anyone know the value of this gold coin? - The Club House

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13615 Times on 5779 Posts
Likes Given: 2261

Yep. They have a face value of $5, and are legal tender.

However, at today's market, they are worth about $150- more or less- for the gold content.

http://goldsilver.com/buy-online/american-gold-eagle-110-oz/

Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Liked 1344 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Yeah, some years can be worth way more. Google that coin by it's year... you should be especially nice to that particular uncle. Also, don't sell it now, keep it! Gold is/will be on the rise! And buy it some friends.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 07-03-2014 at 11:06 AM.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #4

Liked 356 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 358

I'm pretty sure that these mini's are anodized, and therefore there is very little actual gold in/on them.

So it is probably only worth it's weight in zinc.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #5

Liked 472 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I'm pretty sure that these mini's are anodized, and therefore there is very little actual gold in/on them.

its NOT anodized (snort)

To the OP:

Unless its special year/edition/proof coin its worth about $140, trade -in to $155 retail, at current spot prices.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?
Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 07-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8292 Times on 4264 Posts
Likes Given: 9560

Quote:

It says its 91% gold, the rest is silver and copper so its literally worth 9/10th of its weight in gold at this point. It has no collectable age yet but if saved long enough for your grandchildren to hand down could be very valuable someday. That was a very generous gift, cherish it and hand it down someday if you can. One of your kids will tell the story of it and show it to their kids, thats how people can go on for generations in our memories!
bluez Likes This 
Old 07-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #7

Liked 356 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
It says its 91% gold, the rest is silver and copper so its literally worth 9/10th of its weight in gold at this point. It has no collectable age yet but if saved long enough for your grandchildren to hand down could be very valuable someday. That was a very generous gift, cherish it and hand it down someday if you can. One of your kids will tell the story of it and show it to their kids, thats how people can go on for generations in our memories!
They may have anodized it with 91% "gold."

You always need to read the fine print.

Cut it in half with bolt cutters and see what is inside of it. Then you'll know.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #8

Liked 1344 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:

Cut it in half with bolt cutters and see what is inside of it. Then you'll know.
If it's a fake, maybe. But that would be easily found out by weighing it, or taking it to a coin dealer. I'd take it to a coin dealer. That way you'll know what, exactly it is worth to you at that moment.

BTW, there is a tenth oz. of gold in it. 91% of it is gold, but the alloying metals are extra. So it weighs more than a tenth oz. total.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.
People Like This 
Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8292 Times on 4264 Posts
Likes Given: 9560

Quote:

Its not anodized, this is a US Mint issue not a Mcdonalds collector coin. Its says clearly its composed of 91% gold, electroplating to 91% at nearly 3 grams would be very expensive and nobody would ever do that.

Furthermore, cutting it in half is not a good idea. Its not pieces of eight, its a $5.00 gold piece. I know you must have been joking but that wouldnt be good advice to give the OP and if you leave him thinking he's just got a dimestore slug in his hand, he might try what your saying, that would be a very bad idea.

People ask advice cause they want to know useful answers, yours so far have failed to reach that level. Luckily your talking about an expensive paperweight this time but this is a Firearm Forum! Please do try to make sure your giving advice people can live with when your telling people things here cause if your wrong, they might have more than a FUBARed Gold Coin from their uncle to dislike the day they listened to Shoobee on The FTF!

Im not trying to be a poophead, just saying some of your responses to date show a level of concern and consideration that might not reflect well on you or others that take these discussions a bit more serious than you may. Sorry, thats just how I feel.

Quote:
Cir- I'd take it to a coin dealer. That way you'll know what, exactly it is worth to you at that moment.
Now thats the best advice for sure.

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 07-03-2014 at 12:09 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #10
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13615 Times on 5779 Posts
Likes Given: 2261

Shoobee- the American Eagle coin is issued by the US Mint- NOT the Franklin Mint (as seen on QVC). The coins are 22 carat gold, NOT anodized, NOT gold plated- and the value of the gold in that coin is as I stated. Please do not post misinformation. Cutting the coin in half will destroy the collector's value, which is significant.
People Like This