Anyone here a military helo pilot? Any branch - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Anyone here a military helo pilot? Any branch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3543 Times on 2030 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Hey, do it while you can. Check out the ROTC program. The Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force. The Army does not rely on radio instruments for location like the Navy (it is kind of hard to find a ship on the ocean using visual reference only). The Marines have a hard time with some of their helicopters, most are placed in harm's way. And the Coast Guard will have you flying to save some lobster fisherman in hurricane type weather.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #12

Nah... but I was in Patriot Missiles. Im real good at shooting them down

Old 10-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If flying is what you want from your military experience, then the Army's Warrant Officer Program is the way to go. Regular commissioned officers can also choose Aviation as a branch selection in the Army if you want. With your education a commission may be something you want to do. With that, you will be eligible for positions of command that a Warrant wouldn't have.

I went into the Army right of high school and graduated from flight school when I was just 19. I had no flying experience prior to the Army, but was highly motivated to succeed because failure would have meant an enlisted man's infantry assignment in Vietnam. I did spend a year in Vietnam, but flying over it was way better than walking through it.

As a Warrant Officer my job title was "pilot" and that's all the Army could make me do and I was happy to do just that. A Warrant Officer enjoys a position in the military that somewhere between the enlisted and commissioned ranks and its good duty. For you depending on your desire for additional responsibility it may be different and no one can make that decision but you.

As far as your age and education I wouldn't say it is a handicap. We had people of all ages and educational backgrounds that graduated from my flight school class. It's really more a question of motivation to succeed than anything else.

Please keep us informed of what you decide and good luck to you!

Last edited by Snakedriver; 10-02-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
If flying is what you want from your military experience, then the Army's Warrant Officer Program is the way to go. Regular commissioned officers can also choose Aviation as a branch selection in the Army if you want. With your education a commission may be something you want to do. With that, you will be eligible for positions of command that a Warrant wouldn't have.

I went into the Army right of high school and graduated from flight school when I was just 19. I had no flying experience prior to the Army, but was highly motivated to succeed because failure would have meant an enlisted man's infantry assignment in Vietnam. I did spend a year in Vietnam, but flying over it was way better than walking through it.

As a Warrant Officer my job title was "pilot" and that's all the Army could make me do and I was happy to do just that. A Warrant Officer enjoys a position in the military that somewhere between the enlisted and commissioned ranks and its good duty. For you depending on your desire for additional responsibility it may be different and no one can make that decision but you.

As far as your age and education I wouldn't say it is a handicap. We had people of all ages and educational backgrounds that graduated from my flight school class. It's really more a question of motivation to succeed than anything else.

Please keep us informed of what you decide and good luck to you!

I spoke with my ROTC cpt about my situation basically, and he recommended that I not do warrant officer route since I would be risking going into the ARMY as an enlisted man if I do not make flight school. If I don't make flight school as an officer, I would be putting down the Corp. of Engineers (in which I have a masters degree in engineering at that time) or the chemical corp which would suck hah.

Basically, what I want is free flight training and to get paid while doing it. I know the WO fly a heck of a lot more (or usually do anyway), but honestly if I get the training and can fly a bit, I'd like to be an officer in the military.

So you guys say that the navy is also a good option to look into? I'm not dead set on any actual craft platform, I would fly attack, support, lift group, ect ect. I don't NEED to be a black hawk pilot to be happy

Old 10-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts

Post your question on Pilots of America. There are a lot of active and ex military pilots there who will answer your question.

Cheers:

Paul
Salome. AZ

Old 10-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopistons93 View Post
I spoke with my ROTC cpt about my situation basically, and he recommended that I not do warrant officer route since I would be risking going into the ARMY as an enlisted man if I do not make flight school. If I don't make flight school as an officer, I would be putting down the Corp. of Engineers (in which I have a masters degree in engineering at that time) or the chemical corp which would suck hah.

Basically, what I want is free flight training and to get paid while doing it. I know the WO fly a heck of a lot more (or usually do anyway), but honestly if I get the training and can fly a bit, I'd like to be an officer in the military.

So you guys say that the navy is also a good option to look into? I'm not dead set on any actual craft platform, I would fly attack, support, lift group, ect ect. I don't NEED to be a black hawk pilot to be happy
I would have to agree with your ROTC CPT.. You have the education, so why not take the commission. After they mature and season a little many Warrants take commissions and go on to have very successful military careers.

As I said, depending on the needs of the service you may be able to select Aviation as a branch and spend your time working around aircraft occupations & commands, or you can select Engineers or Chemical as a branch and then apply for flight school. I'm not sure how hard it is to get an aviator slot in those branches though. While I did know some pilots that were form other branches, most were from the Infantry, Artillery or Armor branches.

You should definitely look at the Air Force and the Navy. They have great flying programs. Obviously because of their business taking a commission in the Air Force and then successfully completing flight school will give the opportunity to do a lot of flying. While they have plenty of them, I'm not sure how tough it is to get a helo. assignment though. Fixed wing is fun too though.

That's all I know, now maybe someone else will chime in.