Anyone had a knee replaced ? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone had a knee replaced ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1603 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I've been using glucosamine and chondroitin for the last 4 years with no noticeable difference, except a thinner wallet. Yeah, I keep hoping, but it isn't happening.
It doesn't do much for horses either. Orthopedic treatments for horses work about 80% of the time in humans or vice versa. The studies for horses were a year or longer. A couple studies suggested that supplements might reduce the number of stone bruises and hoof cracks.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
This out of left field. My dog has hip dysplasia. I thought I was going to lose her. The vet gave me six weeks of pain medicine for the dog and instructed me to start giving her glucosamine and chondroitin supplements every day. I have been giving her the supplements for four months now. She isn't 100% yet but she is better than I ever expected. She couldn't jump on the couch and had problems with the steps when the vet came out. Now she is jumping in the truck and chasing game again.

I have been walking her at least a mile every day. Making her walk on the leash forces her use her back legs in a controlled manner. She has lost a lot of muscle in her back legs and hips. I can't feel her hip bone any more and her legs are regaining muscle.

People with arthritis and other joint issues are reporting relief from the same supplements. I have seen studies that say glucosamine and chondroitin will not give humans any relief. But these studies were for 24 days or less. The vet said it would take six weeks for the supplements to have any effect on my dog.

I have not seen a study were humans were monitored anywhere near six weeks. Maybe doctors don't want these studies to be successful. After all how can they sell all these pills and perform all these surgeries if we can heal ourselves with supplements?
Talk to your vet about Hills Prescription Diet JD. I have an 11 year old Malinois I thought I was going to have to put to sleep because of hip dysplasia. He is now completely pain free as far as I can tell. The hip geometry is still bad, but he moves like a 5 year old. He is also on glucosamine and condroitin supplements, and has been for a few years, but they quit helping as much as we needed them to. The Hills JD was what we needed to get him back to near normal.

As to healing ourselves with supplements, orthopedics is all a matter of geometry. If everything lines up the way it was meant to be your only problem should be those associated with wear and tear as you age. If things don't line up as designed, you have problems. The supplements will often buy you time, many times all the time you need, but they won't correct geometry problems.