Anyone had a knee replaced ? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Anyone had a knee replaced ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
I had my knee surgery 16 months ago at 40 years old. They did a patellar graft to reconstruct my ACL. It is still not back to "normal".
The doctor took me off pain meds cold turkey after 4 weeks and i have had pain ever since. It does not limit me in my work or any daily activities but i can definitely not run or kneel on it. I gave up explaining any problems or pain to the doctor because the answer was always the same...."it will take time and strengthening". I think over a year is "time" and i did all my therapy as well as working out hard on my own. However, i do feel it is still slowly progressing with some setbacks here and there.
It's not a big enough problem to have them cut me again.....no way.
Just my $.02
I quit the pain meds after day 2. I can handle alot of pain and the stuff they had me on was messing with my mind bad . The surgeon could not believe I was healing up and back on my feet as quit as I was . Im was pretty determind to get back to doing the things I love to do but not hurt myself trying to do them either.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 12-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #22

Liked 296 Times on 198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post

I quit the pain meds after day 2. I can handle alot of pain and the stuff they had me on was messing with my mind bad . The surgeon could not believe I was healing up and back on my feet as quit as I was . Im was pretty determind to get back to doing the things I love to do but not hurt myself trying to do them either.
Wow they must do surgery different in these parts....haha
The area of the patellar tendon where they took the graft from seems to be what gave me the biggest problems

Old 12-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts

After 2 major and 4 scopes, I opted for having total knee replacement (both knees at same time) a few years ago at age 60. I had gotten to the point of having to crawl up the stairs at night to go to bed. A very good decision for me as I have zero pain and great mobility. I should have done it sooner but listened to the "you're too young" crap for several years. I believe having a unwavering, positive attitude is paramount to success. That and doing 6 weeks of therapy and a year of 2 x day exercise bike.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4659 Times on 3140 Posts
Likes Given: 2350

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I go in to talk to a orthopedic surgeon tomorrow about a knee replacement . Im not looking real forwards to this but I need something done , I have had to change my life style because of it and would like to get back to doing the normal things in my life . I used to run 5Ks , play softball, race bikes, etc but all this has come to a halt the last 4 years . I have put this off this long and continued to make it worse. MRI last week says I have a torn ACL , cartilage damage in my left knee and osteoarthritis in both knees. Looking for some insight on how long it takes to get back to 100% after a replacement. By the way I will be 41 yrs . in a few weeks
My Mom had one. Excellent results. The first couple of nights may be rough, because they will be relentless in keeping your knee in motion and getting you out of bed. Ask for painkillers without hesitation, so you can work your new joint more. have a good recovery and hurry up back.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #25
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2109 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 4544

I have a friend when he was still active duty Air Force had both knees done. No issues for what he said, not sure how long on the recovery, based on age. He was in his mid-40's when it was done.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I had my first total knee replacement on March 30th of this year. The pain was horrific, and finally after 8 months, it is almost normal. I just had another consult with the same surgeon last week, and my next knee replacement is suppose to be happening in about a week, depending on his holiday schedule.

(sorry I didn't see this thread sooner Keith!)
knee-3-27-13.jpg  

Old 12-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1381 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Update on my own mess...

MRI, multiple X-Rays, several rounds of rehab have provided limited improvement.

I noticed I always had more muscular problems than anything else and started doing some research. Found a muscular rehab technique practiced by a chiropractor just down the street from where I work.

Made the appointment and he was almost giddy, "I know what's wrong and how to fix this". While I'm not making the progress either of us expected, I am making progress. Apparently the C5-L1 (?) interface is "frozen" on the left side and the signal has gotten screwed up. He's doing a "cox" technique which is unloading the spine and forcing movement.

And besides, he's a firearm nut
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #28

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

This out of left field. My dog has hip dysplasia. I thought I was going to lose her. The vet gave me six weeks of pain medicine for the dog and instructed me to start giving her glucosamine and chondroitin supplements every day. I have been giving her the supplements for four months now. She isn't 100% yet but she is better than I ever expected. She couldn't jump on the couch and had problems with the steps when the vet came out. Now she is jumping in the truck and chasing game again.

I have been walking her at least a mile every day. Making her walk on the leash forces her use her back legs in a controlled manner. She has lost a lot of muscle in her back legs and hips. I can't feel her hip bone any more and her legs are regaining muscle.

People with arthritis and other joint issues are reporting relief from the same supplements. I have seen studies that say glucosamine and chondroitin will not give humans any relief. But these studies were for 24 days or less. The vet said it would take six weeks for the supplements to have any effect on my dog.

I have not seen a study were humans were monitored anywhere near six weeks. Maybe doctors don't want these studies to be successful. After all how can they sell all these pills and perform all these surgeries if we can heal ourselves with supplements?

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-20-2013 at 02:04 AM.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I've been using glucosamine and chondroitin for the last 4 years with no noticeable difference, except a thinner wallet. Yeah, I keep hoping, but it isn't happening.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #30
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2109 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 4544

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I've been using glucosamine and chondroitin for the last 4 years with no noticeable difference, except a thinner wallet. Yeah, I keep hoping, but it isn't happening.
Try "Wobenzym N" it is for Healthy Inflammation and Joint Support. I get it at the vitamin shoppe.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/vitamins_minerals/index.jsp