Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone had a knee replaced ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8052

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Yeah, atrophy is terrible in leg muscles. I was in a cast from my crotch to toes for 8 weeks. When first released from the hosp I could only put my finger tips down the top of the cast. After about 7 weeks I could almost touch my knee from the top. That was not good. Never did get the muscle back even with PT, weight bench and jogging.
I broke my right ankle in 1976. I had a cast from mid thigh to toes for 3 months. To this day, that ankle and leg has less muscle mass than the other leg. And decreased range of motion in that right ankle.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I'm fighting through a knee injury. I glow at night from all the xrays and mri

In the end, two different surgeons decided to not do surgery.

At 41, I'm not sure I'd be looking to do knee replacement. They have a limited life, and a 2nd surgery is very difficult. 3rd surgery... forget it

I've had really good success with applying DMO for soft tissue injuries. It helped me get through the worst part of my injury when I didn't have insurance. Several months of medical care, I've only improved a little bit. When this round of PT ends, seriously considering going back to DMSO and the exercises that don't cause issues.

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 PM   #13

Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

I will be going in for arthroscopic surgery in Nov after my vacation . He said now or 6 months from now is not going to hurt anything , the damage is already done and it cannot get any worse than what I have already done to it and its not going to get any better on its own . They cant make me 16 again but they can fix my stability problem . I can be walking along and just fall over if it pops out right now . They refuse to do replacements under the age of 50 unless its an emergency for reconstruction . They will be taking grafts from my hamstring to use and then they will cut up what cartilage is left in my knee so it will turn into larger scar tissue " cartilage " back in the knee to fix the so called pot holes I have formed in those areas . basically I have a hell of alot more fluid than cartilage in those spots where there is supposed to be cartilage . 5K's are going to be a thing of the past for me which saddens me alot . but I can get back to normal activities like playing ball and riding a bike again without pain . Wish me luck .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I had a friend that just had it. I'll see if I can't get him to post about his experience.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I had my left knee replaced. I was up and walking around without assistance in 5 days. My therapist couldn't believe it. I credit my "good " experience with going to the gym for about 8 weeks before the operation and building strength and flexibility as much as I could. Now I mow the yard, walk around and do normal household stuff without even being reminded of it. No pain and full flexibility. By the way, I'm 6'2" and 300 lbs.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #16

Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

I have never followed up on my progress. Nov 12th I had ACL reconstruction done and replacement cartilage ground up in the joint, so I now have some cushion and not bone on bone . The Dr. told me I would be on crutches until Christmas . I was on Crutches for not quite 2 weeks and they took me off of them . I am now about 90% healed up thanks to lots of P Therapy and hard work thank to the great therapists I have had working me over . Healed up pretty good for a guy 41 yrs old Just signed up for my first 5k of the year in May and ready to smoke everyone in my family . My kids are giving me crap about this old man cant beat them . We will see Hope everyone on the forum has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 12-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1728 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 545

About 4 years ago my wife was looking at the possibility of a knee replacement. She had a series of 3 shots in her knee which they said would last maybe 6 months. Not cortisone. I put her on 100 mg per day of Hyaluronic Acid joint support by NOW. She is doing fine now and she will be 76 next month. Does not work for everyone but has worked for her and a couple of others we told about it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I go in to talk to a orthopedic surgeon tomorrow about a knee replacement . Im not looking real forwards to this but I need something done , I have had to change my life style because of it and would like to get back to doing the normal things in my life . I used to run 5Ks , play softball, race bikes, etc but all this has come to a halt the last 4 years . I have put this off this long and continued to make it worse. MRI last week says I have a torn ACL , cartilage damage in my left knee and osteoarthritis in both knees. Looking for some insight on how long it takes to get back to 100% after a replacement. By the way I will be 41 yrs . in a few weeks
You need to specifically ask your Dr if you are too young to have this done. If you are still functional, but can't run, jump, and play, you might want to wait. Not too long ago an artificial knee was good for about 10-15 years. I have no idea if that has changed, but it's something you need to know.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I wouldn't go through with the surgery until you are a patient at a pain clinic. It takes around six weeks to get an appointment at a pain clinic. The surgeon will give you one prescription for pain medication. When that runs out you are on your own.

A friend of ours had her knee replaced. She was up and around in a few weeks, just as the doctor promised. The doctor didn't tell her it would hurt for a year. Her doctors wouldn't treat her pain. Finally she got into a pain clinic, after suffering for over a month. The doctors at the pain clinic treated her pain . She was back on the job in a week after going to the pain clinic.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #20

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

I had my knee surgery 16 months ago at 40 years old. They did a patellar graft to reconstruct my ACL. It is still not back to "normal".
The doctor took me off pain meds cold turkey after 4 weeks and i have had pain ever since. It does not limit me in my work or any daily activities but i can definitely not run or kneel on it. I gave up explaining any problems or pain to the doctor because the answer was always the same...."it will take time and strengthening". I think over a year is "time" and i did all my therapy as well as working out hard on my own. However, i do feel it is still slowly progressing with some setbacks here and there.
It's not a big enough problem to have them cut me again.....no way.
Just my $.02