Anyone had a knee replaced ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone had a knee replaced ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Default Anyone had a knee replaced ?

I go in to talk to a orthopedic surgeon tomorrow about a knee replacement . Im not looking real forwards to this but I need something done , I have had to change my life style because of it and would like to get back to doing the normal things in my life . I used to run 5Ks , play softball, race bikes, etc but all this has come to a halt the last 4 years . I have put this off this long and continued to make it worse. MRI last week says I have a torn ACL , cartilage damage in my left knee and osteoarthritis in both knees. Looking for some insight on how long it takes to get back to 100% after a replacement. By the way I will be 41 yrs . in a few weeks

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-20-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I've known a few guys who have. I think it depends alot on the individual. I've seen some guys that were up and about in a week and a couple who never walked right again. To be honest with your list of issues you've got nothing to lose. Hope you heal well and quickly.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Wife has had both replaced about 2 years apart.

Best recovery was from the first. She had a machine looked like this. It was a rental from the therapist. It is adjustable as to how far your knee bends. It will run all night while you sleep constantly exercising your knee. If I recall correctly they say to use it about every 4 hours for 1/2 hour. She didnt have it for the second replacement and didnt recover as well.

Do your exercises and you should be fine. Good luck.

http://healthpages.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/continuous-passive-motion-machine.jpg

I keep hoping they come out with a replacement cartilage (meniscus) and I may consider that but Im not up to a complete knee replacement. I need both done too. I had a reconstruction in 1976 and was OK til I got active again - softball, soccer, etc and I was back with problems. Mine started from motocross and dirt bikes. Crashed too much

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 08-20-2013 at 01:54 PM.
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #4

Liked 283 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

I had a little work on mine once.
Cracked or torn meniscus cup, was off my feet a little over a year waitin on insurance fight, by the time I got under the knife the doc called it heavy debridement.
Was back trying to walk a few days after with a lot less pain. I lost about 2" of girth in that leg. The muscle was the hardest to get back.

I think the recovery depends on how healthy you are, age , your drive to get better. I used to call the rehab joint "the house of pain" but it got me back to normal.
Its been about 6 years with no troubles

Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Probably depends on your age. My wife had both done. Results only fair on both of them. It's ended our outdoor hiking, camping activities. Before I personally would do it, the pain would have to be unbearable, and I'm pretty good with pain. Guess it's better than crutches or a wheelchair, but in my opinion, that'd be about all.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7036 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

Well, a lot depends on the skill of the surgeon and the type of knee they are putting in. They must be fitted perfectly and different models might fit different people better. I would research the surgeon's success rate and pick and choose my doctor and my hospital to have it done at.

I worked with a woman who had very poor success with her replaced knee. She was a mess and had a couple follow up surgeries to try to fix whatever was going on on in there.

But all the other people I know had great success. I would have it done if I needed it. Most people I know who had knees replaced (and hips for that matter) you would never know. And for the majority of them, it has changed their life for the better.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 749 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Ask the doc about injections of chicken comb. Not a joke. It may be an option. I had it done to both knees and it works. Time to do it again if it still applies. You can google it.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Purehavoc I can sympathize with you, my knees have reached a point where the only permanent option is replacement of both knees. As a temporary measure they do a cortisone shot in each knee every three months, helps but for 3-4 days after the shots my blood sugars are out of wack.

My Mom had one knee replaced it took about 6 months for her to recover (she was 72 at the time). she spent 3 weeks in the hospital's live-in rehab facility getting PT and learning how to properly walk, climb stairs and so forth on the new knee.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 08-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #9

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Most of the discussions I have had is they dont really want to do a replacement under the age of 50 . I am 41 years old and I have been told that the replacement will not outlast me and that is their goal . At this point in my life Im ready regardless if it needs replaced later in life. Im not getting any skinnier not being able to do the stuff I enjoy. Like playing basketball with my kids or just going for a ride on the bicycle

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #10

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_x
Was back trying to walk a few days after with a lot less pain. I lost about 2" of girth in that leg. The muscle was the hardest to get back.
Yeah, atrophy is terrible in leg muscles. I was in a cast from my crotch to toes for 8 weeks. When first released from the hosp I could only put my finger tips down the top of the cast. After about 7 weeks I could almost touch my knee from the top. That was not good. Never did get the muscle back even with PT, weight bench and jogging.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
racer_x Likes This