Anyone a Freemason?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone a Freemason?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 340 Times on 192 Posts

Default Anyone a Freemason?

I'm an EA now. Working on FC.

My Grandfather was York Rite Mason. My Uncle is York Rite Mason. My other Uncle was a Shriner. My wife's Grandfather was a Mason.

I'm 42 years old and it finally became something I wanted to do. I'm the only one amongst my friends that is interested.

Last edited by indy36; 08-05-2014 at 12:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9211 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

Yes, there are several brothers here. My Blue Lodge is Metropolitan #11 in Richmond VA.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 113 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 23

MM AF&AM.

#1401 John Mitchell lodge. Hitchcock, TX.

E-DUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #4

Liked 1544 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Good.....Maybe one of you guys can tell me what goes on in there. My Dad tells me its just a bunch of old farts hiding out from their wives. Unless your 4th degree something , even members dont know squat. But he isnt a Mason, so im not sure how he would know..My Grandfather on my Mom's side was a Mason, but i never got the chance to ask him about it. I know it goes way back to the Knights Templar, and many of our Presidents were members of skull and bones...............................? any info appreciated. This is an interesting subject...I'm going to do some research..............

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6406 Times on 3204 Posts
Likes Given: 6909

From most I know, The Masons are a very good org. I had a family friend try to get me to join years ago but declined because Ive never been very good at clubbing.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #6

Liked 1045 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 683

Quote:
Good.....Maybe one of you guys can tell me what goes on in there. My Dad tells me its just a bunch of old farts hiding out from their wives.
LOL

Yeah, how do you expect to add members when you're so secretive? I know basically nothing about the Masons. What little I HAVE heard is not all positive, and most of it is weird, but I have no doubt that most of it is also rumors, and not necessarily true. Either way, I have no desire to join a club who doesn't want to tell me outright what they're all about. ALL about.

IMO, though, any group that is that secretive has to have a fair amount of whack-jobbery involved.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1890 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 707

When I started contracting I got a job painting a masons lodge. I have never seen a crew of men so motivated to finish a job. To the uninitiated a masons lodge is a spooky place.

I left home at an early age. Many of the men that "adopted" me were masons. If it wasn't for the things they instilled in my mind I would have squandered my winnings instead of investing for my future. It very hard for a young man to understand when you are winning a lot of money gambling that the income is not going to keep coming in.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 08-05-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2300 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

I am certain of one thing, the Freemasons are an old club with some pageantry and no power to steer world events. I am sympathetic because they are always hated by nazi dictators and mullahs.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6406 Times on 3204 Posts
Likes Given: 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
LOL

Yeah, how do you expect to add members when you're so secretive? I know basically nothing about the Masons. What little I HAVE heard is not all positive, and most of it is weird, but I have no doubt that most of it is also rumors, and not necessarily true. Either way, I have no desire to join a club who doesn't want to tell me outright what they're all about. ALL about.

IMO, though, any group that is that secretive has to have a fair amount of whack-jobbery involved.

An elderly friend of ours runs the Widows club, about 30 members last count, men dont live so long as their wives do in Upstate NY, conspiracy theory?

We have allot of funny little clubs in the boonies, FFA, The National Grange, Elks, Owls, Mooses, Oddfellows, Shriners, Daughters of the Revolutionary War, Lions, Ruritains, Legion Sons and Daughters, Legion Riders...

We used to have a group that helped teach boys how to become good citizens, husbands and fathers but they were considered religious fanatics, unsupportive of Gays and secretive. I think they called themselves the Boy Scouts of America or something like that...
Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9211 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

For those that have wondered-
The Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons (AF&AM, or masons) is a fraternal order (there is a sister branch- Order of the Eastern Star).

Yes, there are limits on who can become a Mason- but not what you might think. You must be a man, freeborn, of good report, and well recommended. You cannot be a fool, a minor, senile, or an atheist- since the oath you take is to God. If you do not believe in God, that oath has no meaning.

We do not discuss Masonic ritual with those not members, but we are not a "secret society"- otherwise, none of us would admit to being Masons. Yes, the internet will give you a lot of information on masonic ritual. No one is asked to become a Mason- if you are interested, you can ask any Mason- but we will not ask you.

While some religions forbid their members being Masons, Masons do not forbid any religion from joining. Members have agreed to aid and support worthy brothers and their family members when they need it.

Yes, I have heard stories of drunken revels at the Lodge. Alcohol is not permitted in Lodge. Have heard stories about humiliation of applicants. Not true.

The current organization goes back to 1717, but followed the pattern of the stonemasons guilds back into the 1400s, and makes reference to the Masons that built Solomon's Temple in Biblical times.

At that time, a trained mason was more than a person that laid brick- the Master masons designed buildings, and oversaw construction. Since Kings wanted the best buildings, master masons were free men, able to travel freely when most could not.

If you want more information, ask a Mason. But I will say that you would find yourself in the company of just and upright men, and if you keep your oath as a Mason, it goes beyond just wearing the ring.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This