Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone on the forum that was on a special forces or special wafare team in any branch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 281 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 1243

Amen Mosin ive seen it too.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #12

Liked 157 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I kept reading, he said they shot up a camp and killed them and caught them by surprise but now they can't he said they need to call them out now and tell them to surrender????

Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5640 Times on 2788 Posts
Likes Given: 5999

Special Opns Forces are stealth and mum. Hard to get anything out of them but a few guttural noises and some black and blue if your too nosy! My Drill SFC Boseman was Airborne, Ranger, SF and just as nasty and ugly as they get. Never wanted to see him smile, ever! Special forces training is just Basic Training on Steroids X 10, 24/7. Truly, all that get asked to try out are exceptional but most still wont get the Diploma/ CADRE want nothing more than to S4itcan 50% ASAP, kick "losers" out and the rest get pushed over the edge just as hard as can be imagined, 24/7 until only the few toughest Physically and Mentally Graduate.

They do get Haz pay in zone but quick rank is more the financial incentive not pay. Trust me, they dont do it for the money.

Quick funny and REAL Story from July of 85. I had just ETS'ed from the RA and joined the National Guard (MP's) and a couple months later was our 2 weeks of fun in the sun, we went to Bragg. We were attacked by Delta Force (Best guess was a Small Squad, 3 or 4 of them). We had a whole div of NG's training about 6K from their compound, dug in, night security at 50%. They hit our Div TOC at about 2 in the Morning, went straight through the wire, guards, perimeter like it wasnt even there and just tossed things around a little. Hung some SM's in trees and 100MPH taped a couple to their racks (In their sleeping bags), grabbed a couple CEOI's, absconded with then tossed a few m16's under trailers and scooted out without a single one of them being seen once.

The entire post was on alert for the next 2 hours until we found the Missing Machine Guns and CEOI's, we walked online in the dark, they tossed them where they would be found! Even the Post General was caught off guard (and pissed off) and our Div Staff was embarrassed big time! It was a rogue attack, unplanned, just decided to play with a division of No Gos for a little midnight fun; NBD, wouldnt have surprised me if they werent cocked! Delta was never "Officially confirmed" but as the Battalion Commanders Driver/ Rad-Op, I might have heard some things...

Old 01-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8393 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Is training difficult, mentally and physically demanding? It is created to be as demanding as possible. No mistakes in training? Purpose of training is to correct mistakes. The further along in training, the fewer mistakes that are permitted.

Custom weapons? There is no one special warfare group, no one answer. Some groups are armed with standard military arms, some... not so standard.

Pay? An E-5 SEAL, an E-5 Ranger, and an E-5 Chaplain's Assistant in the Air Force make the same pay- it is based on rank, time in service. You may draw flight pay/ jump pay/ demolition pay/ combat pay, etc. That is an additional $150 or $225 a month MAXIMUM. When on detached duty you may also draw TDY (Temporary Duty pay) to cover costs of housing/ food. Used to be a max of $125- $200/day.

Some Special Warfare groups have a minimum time in service/ rank requirement- you will not enter the service and go directly to the special unit.

Weight? 40 lbs? HAH! WAY understated. For a regular soldier, a combat load runs well over 75 lbs. It is grouped so that you can drop some. most or all of what you do not need to fight at that instant. Knees and ankles are the first things to go (right after your girlish laughter)

Weight is high enough that the services had to change the parachute used for combat jumps- the jumpers when loaded weighed too much for the chute.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 01-06-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5640 Times on 2788 Posts
Likes Given: 5999

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Is training difficult, mentally and physically demanding? It is created to be as demanding as possible. No mistakes in training? Purpose of training is to correct mistakes. The further along in training, the fewer mistakes that are permitted.

Custom weapons? There is no one special warfare group, no one answer. Some groups are armed with standard military arms, some... not so standard.

Pay? An E-5 SEAL, an E-5 Ranger, and an E-5 Chaplain's Assistant in the Air Force make the same pay- it is based on rank, time in service. You may draw flight pay/ jump pay/ demolition pay/ combat pay, etc. That is an additional $150 or $225 a month MAXIMUM. When on detached duty you may also draw TDY (Temporary Duty pay) to cover costs of housing/ food. Used to be a max of $125- $200/day.

Some Special Warfare groups have a minimum time in service/ rank requirement- you will not enter the service and go directly to the special unit.

Weight? 40 lbs? HAH! WAY understated. For a regular soldier, a combat load runs well over 75 lbs. It is grouped so that you can drop some. most or all of what you do not need to fight at that instant. Knees and ankles are the first things to go (right after your girlish laughter)

Weight is high enough that the services had to change the parachute used for combat jumps- the jumpers when loaded weighed too much for the chute.
C3, you failed to mention the "Special" Freeze Dried Filet Mignon, Stir Fried Country Vegetables, Champagne Squeeze Pouch with Chips and Salsa, SFMRE's, Mmm!...

Forgot to mention that 40Lb thing... Ha, ha, ha! That's a Crunchies Butt Pack not a Ruck Sack! The RTO gets a little more added weight! I was Light Infantry Anti-Armor, nothing light about that!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 01-06-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #16

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
C3, you failed to mention the "Special" Freeze Dried Filet Mignon, Stir Fried Country Vegetables, Champagne Squeeze Pouch with Chips and Salsa, SFMRE's, Mmm!...

Forgot to mention that 40Lb thing... Ha, ha, ha! That's a Crunchies Butt Pack not a Ruck Sack! The RTO gets a little more added weight! I was Light Infantry Anti-Armor, nothing light about that!
And the HAM & MUTHERFUKERS

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8393 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

OLD joke- what do you need to become a Green Beret?

A. A Rolex watch, a star Sapphire ring, and at least one divorce.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

A little clarification...

Special Operations Command encompasses all Special Operations units and are responsible to train, man and equip said units.

Look up Special Duty Assignment Pay (SDAP). SDAP provides pay to individuals based on skill set. You are correct in saying they don't do it for the money but there is additional pay for maintaining special skills. http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07a_08.pdf

Good luck in the search for information on our elite forces.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1613 Times on 842 Posts
Likes Given: 1303

Someone told me once it’s not fun, it’s not an adventure, it’s work.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #20

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My helicopter company provided air support to the SOG that worked out of Phubia Vietnam in the late 1960's early 1970's. the unit was made up of mostly special forces and ranger qualified personnel and a few hired mercenaries. The team suffered very high losses on each and every mission.
True definition of SOG; "Studies and Observation Group" the SOG was a covert group activated during th Vietnam conflict but did far more combat operations then just studies and observation. There is an abundance of information on the "Special" units within all branches of the services on the web.

The physical part of the training for the special units within all branches is demanding but the mental stress i found to be the downfall of most trainees followed by injuries suffered in training. I had no problems with the mental stress, I was brainless, but my injuries suffered during my two attempts to complete Phase ll of ranger training was my downfall.

If you are contemplating enlisting and applying for any type of special unit I would first apply for and complete airborne training. It will better prepare you mentally and physically and also improve your chances of being selected for attendance. My MOS does have the "P" skill qualifier attached.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln