Anyone on the forum that was on a special forces or special wafare team in any branch
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone on the forum that was on a special forces or special wafare team in any branch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Anyone on the forum that was on a special forces or special wafare team in any branch

I there anyone on the forum that was ever on a special warfare or special forces team in any branch? If so which one? I have questions to ask about them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

What did you want to know?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #3

Liked 1217 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I there anyone on the forum that was ever on a special warfare or special forces team in any branch? If so which one? I have questions to ask about them.
Its been said many times before on this board that those who were really part of special forces rarely discuss it with outsiders. I would suggest you just ask what you would like to know and see if anyone responds.

I was not a member, I worked with a few and they were cool guys but i would not say i knew any of them like a friend.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Vincine Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Ones i knew were mean, nasty & slow to answer questions

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #5

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Google may be your friend here. Like other claims, I've met few REAL spec ops guys who are very open about it.

Post your question. Several of us are vets, and have worked with special forces on occasion.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Well I am reading a new book I got(no easy day) and I was wondering, Is all special forces training that tough? They made them run miles, you couldn't really meet the standards you had to do better, no mistakes at all in the kill house etc.
Later he shows his gear, he said he had a 40lb chest rig. Do they really make you carry all that weight and then some?
He was saying he got to have his guns made to his specifications(he had his hk416 barrel cut down to 10'' and I think another to 14'', he said he got to pick certain guns as well, he said he picked his mp7 and had it suppressed, said he was issued 2 sidearms, a grenade launcher the guys in the armory cut down etc.)
Also both me, my dad, and a few others don't know this but do people in special forces get paid more than regular soldiers? I always thought they didn't because they don't want people doing it for the money and if so I can agree with that.

Is it like this for other special forces teams or just seals?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

i spent a few days with them in iraq, compared to us (regular army) they do whatever they want no questions asked, they arent in our food chain

Old 01-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #8

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Well I am reading a new book I got(no easy day) and I was wondering, Is all special forces training that tough? They made them run miles, you couldn't really meet the standards you had to do better, no mistakes at all in the kill house etc.
Later he shows his gear, he said he had a 40lb chest rig. Do they really make you carry all that weight and then some?
He was saying he got to have his guns made to his specifications(he had his hk416 barrel cut down to 10'' and I think another to 14'', he said he got to pick certain guns as well, he said he picked his mp7 and had it suppressed, said he was issued 2 sidearms, a grenade launcher the guys in the armory cut down etc.)
Also both me, my dad, and a few others don't know this but do people in special forces get paid more than regular soldiers? I always thought they didn't because they don't want people doing it for the money and if so I can agree with that.

Is it like this for other special forces teams or just seals?
The training IS that hard. I went through a two week "indoc" for SEALs, which is just a fitness test to see if you're worth the time and effort to attempt to train. I passed with flying colors (I was a complete bad ass back then), and then I passed on the chance to TRY to be a SEAL (which I believe is what the author of that book is). I pussed out because it was too damn hard, plain and simple.

No mistakes in training? That's what you strive for. The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle. Mistakes get you or your friends killed. There is no such thing as perfection, but you damn well try to find it.

Custom weapons? I have to say I think he's blowing smoke. I don't know though. They do still have to obey the laws of war, so they have to be careful on customizing stuff. They do use suppressed weapons though. So do some regular troops.

The weight of his gear? He's probably not exaggerating. In fact, he's probably under estimating.

Pay? Many of them rank up pretty quick. The schools they go through improve their "cutting score".
Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 82 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The training IS that hard. I went through a two week "indoc" for SEALs, which is just a fitness test to see if you're worth the time and effort to attempt to train. I passed with flying colors (I was a complete bad ass back then), and then I passed on the chance to TRY to be a SEAL (which I believe is what the author of that book is). I pussed out because it was too damn hard, plain and simple.

No mistakes in training? That's what you strive for. The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle. Mistakes get you or your friends killed. There is no such thing as perfection, but you damn well try to find it.

Custom weapons? I have to say I think he's blowing smoke. I don't know though. They do still have to obey the laws of war, so they have to be careful on customizing stuff. They do use suppressed weapons though. So do some regular troops.

The weight of his gear? He's probably not exaggerating. In fact, he's probably under estimating.

Pay? Many of them rank up pretty quick. The schools they go through improve their "cutting score".
...and there's hazardous duty pay, if they're doing what's defined as "hazardous Duty" (i.e., battle zone) ... but everyone else is just as eligible.

They get all the new toys to "evaluate" for the rest of the forces.

Training is that hard. Check out Discovery Channel's series on SEAL BUDS training ; imDB review - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426761/

The History and Military channel and some others have also had series on Rangers, Recon, Snipers, PJs, and other "difficult" military jobs.

Google can be your friend ...

Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #10

Liked 4538 Times on 2261 Posts
Likes Given: 1024

I've seen the most physically in shape, iron man champion types, break down and cry after dropping out of BUD/S.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.