Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > anyone ever have a dog lose its hearing due to shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default anyone ever have a dog lose its hearing due to shooting?

I took my dog hunting yesterday. He has always been accustomed to 12 gauge shots and .22 long rifle. Before we left I decided to shoot my 1911 at a target. For the first 10 or so rounds he stood right beside me and I noticed after the first shot he kinda put his tail in between his legs but continued to hang around. Eventually he went back and got in the truck (about 30 yards behind me) and I shot about 50 more rounds. When I went home I noticed he was deaf. Literally deaf. Even today he still can't hear worth a damn. His hearing has improved slightly but its still far from 100%. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen and if the dog recovered its hearing. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6744 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

You know, I always wondered about this, too. We wear hearing protection when we shoot but dog's hearing is so much more sensitive than ours I wonder how they ALL don't go deaf. Is a shotgun much quieter than a handgun? I haven't shot enough shotguns to notice.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yea, I shoot my 12 gauge often while hunting without hearing protection. It is loud but it doesn't make my ears ring. That .45 will make my ears ring pretty bad if I shoot without hearing protection. A dog having a much more sensitive sense of hearing is probably more prone to serious damage. However I have seen YouTube videos with people shooting around their dogs all the time. If I had known he would go deaf I never would have done it. I have been doing research and I have found many people with the same issue but they never came back and specified whether or not their dogs regained their hearing. I feel terrible about this and am hoping for the best. He seems happy as can be, he's just deafer than a worm. And like I've said I've shot other guns around him all the time and hes never gone noticeably deaf because of it. I am anxious to see what the vet says. I doubt there's anything they can do but I'm not a vet so I wouldn't know.

Last edited by comeback_kid; 01-05-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #4

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've heard lots of stories about duck dogs going deaf. I think its sad that we don't have some kind of hearing protection for them. I won't hunt with a dog myself, and usually won't shoot with one around, mostly because I no longer have a dog but also because the only dog I get to spend any time with is my mom's and he's scared to death of guns, runs and hides everytime they come out. Its probably because of the noise.

I wouldn't let my son or my wife shoot without hearing protection, and I think its only fair and right that a man treat his animals as family. Unless of course its livestock being raised for food, its kind of awkward eating billy the pig.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6744 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I wouldn't let my son or my wife shoot without hearing protection, and I think its only fair and right that a man treat his animals as family. Unless of course its livestock being raised for food, its kind of awkward eating billy the pig.
My sister raised beef steers and she named them. We had no problem eating some delicious "Bucky Burgers".

I hope, with time, the dog's hearing will come back. A couple times I shot a round forgetting to put on my 'ears'. The ringing stopped after a while and my hearing returned to normal. I hope the same happens for your dog.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I hope, with time, the dog's hearing will come back. A couple times I shot a round forgetting to put on my 'ears'. The ringing stopped after a while and my hearing returned to normal. I hope the same happens for your dog.
I used some inadequate protection and my ears rang for a couple days. Week later, I still have problems with certain frequencies sounding like a bell. That and my blue tooth sounds weird. Things are slowly getting better tho. Hopefully the OP dog is only experiencing a temporary problem.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

He can hear certain sounds fine. Like the sound of me working the pump on my shotgun, clicking my tongue, or opening a door. What he doesn't hear is our voices and other sounds. I'll find out today. You're right trip- it's only fair to protect our dogs ears- especially considering their ears are even more sensitive than ours. Had I known he would go deaf I wouldn't have even considered it. I assumed that since he was fine around a 12 gauge, something a little louder wouldn't noticeably damage his hearing. That and I've seen hickok45 (YouTube shooter) vids with the dog standing beside him with seemingly no ill effect. Obviously it was a stupid assumption on my part. I'm hoping the vet will give me some good news today, and hopefully someone can learn from this experience.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #8

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Our maybe I can make a coupe million by inventing doggie ear pro. I've got some ideas already, the question is whether or not the dog will tolerate it.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19854 Times on 11277 Posts
Likes Given: 50043

i will venture an opinion and thought. all those years of shooting in the past i did have caused some hearing loss that i will probably never get back, along with all those years of working with heavy and loud equipment at work. so now there are times when i can hear you talking, but i can't understand the words you say. i am sure that a dog could be just as likely to have the same problems as we do if exposed to it for long enough. with a dog hearing also at higher frequencies, they may be more likely to have hearing loss at a permenent level sooner.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

In hind sight it was careless. The percussive blast or whatever the hell you call it from a .45 is quite a bit nastier than that of a 12 gauge. Hopefully I didn't rupture his ear drums. I'm only 19 but back when I was younger and dumber I've been to the firing range without ear pro as well as numerous concerts as well as loud music through headphones or in my car. My ears always got better after a few days, but undoubtedly there has been some permanent damage. I too can hear people talking but struggle to make out what they are saying. Although I think some people just talk too low and quiet. It may be my hearing. Careless mistakes

forumrunner_20120105_125642.jpg  

Last edited by comeback_kid; 01-05-2012 at 05:05 PM.