Anyone else think men act more feminine nowadays? - Page 27
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Anyone else think men act more feminine nowadays?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #261
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8231 Times on 4240 Posts
Likes Given: 9476

I buy what Vincine said, dress and even body image is very regional and cultural. Someone walking down the road near my house in a 3 piece suit attracts attention the same way someone in BDU's would catch your attention in New Hartford (Wealthy little city). There are reasons people may like to stand out against the backdrop but when they do, they need to expect the unexpected and endure the peanut gallery if deemed inappropriate.

Presentation can be everything in employment situations but may mean nothing in social or public settings, you need to be aware of what reasonable expectations people may and do have and decide if you care. All my soldiers showed up for drill with haircuts, shaved and uniforms presentable but they had almost a month in between drills to get shaggy and then make it go away. It really didnt matter to me what they did in between but when Top said "Fall in", everyone needed to be prepared to be inspected and judged. An added note, standing out in a work place setting is rarely a good thing in life (Basic Training was a perfect example), there are very few standouts that are appreciated unless your the very best and conform to policy. Those that stick out like the proverbial extra ear are most often the ones screwed with and terminated first!

Life aint that different than being in the military except you have more choices and less people with an actual right to judge them! No, you dont have to look, sound or act like the "Norm" but the fact is, you will still be judged by many for how you look and act, thats life with humans (And animals). There are many choices in life that allow you to do and act any way you please without negative effects. The very wealthy and very poor have little to gain or lose by not conforming to any norms but Middle Class America really doesnt. Some careers lend themselves to variety better than others, My Mom was an Artist and Art Teacher, she had different Dress presentations for her friends and fellow artists than the children she taught in public school, that was reasonable.

I am gonna move away from the gender thing for a second and talk about culture. I have a number of South African acquaintances due to working in a very diverse University. Met another one yesterday while I was having a smoke, this one was a Caucasian unlike most of the darker ones I know. What you dont see or hear from any of these young brilliants is anything to do with looking or sounding like they come from a region of the world dominated by tribal warfare, headhunters or Ubangees warriors. No tattoos, no earnings, eyerings, Tusk hoops, no adornments and they speak English better than most of us do! I also have a bunch of American Indian friends! Guess what, they dont wear loin clothes, Wampum Belts or Leatherstockings, they wear Golf Shirts and dress pants to work and in public!

Come to think of it, almost everyone I know that is multicultural and successful dresses and appears to look and interact like John and Jane Q public; not Spike, Trixie, a Clown or Terrorist Sam; thats not a coincidence, its reality! Can you and should you are two different topics, the expectations around you exist in either case but will almost always fall better for those who chose "should" over "can". What you choose for you and what you teach your children effects all of you immediately and all of us over the long run so wisdom might be better to consider than primal urges for everyone's sake.

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 12-18-2013 at 10:52 AM.
widowmaker Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #262
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

The pussification of America is in full swing on this thread. This country and this culture have well defined masculine and feminine roles based on its judeo-Christian heritage. What is masculine is masculine and what is feminine is feminine.

The dictionary defines masculine as having qualities/attributes TRADITIONALLY ASSOCIATED WITH MEN. It lists examples such as strength and courage.

It defines feminine similarly and lists examples of qualities/attributes such as sensitivity or gentleness.

There are masculine women and feminine men.

There are masculine men and feminine women.

There are physical attributes that are masculine

There are physical attributes that are feminine.

There are physical attributes that are neutral.

The same goes for clothing, dress, attitudes, character traits and a whole host of attributes.

There are men that are gay that display mostly masculine qualities/attributes.

There are men that are straight that display mostly feminine qualities/attributes.

There is a difference between gender ROLES and gender qualities/attributes. Political correctness requires that all gender roles be neutralized. But political correctness can never change the fact that the ATTRIBUTES AND QUALITIES of each gender are different. And always will be.

Anyone who believes otherwise is living in a dream world.
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #263

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I find it HILARIOUS that some are sooo upset about all this.. It's sad that some ppl care so much about such superficial trivialities and claim them to do the downfall of civilization.. HILARIOUS

let people do their thing and you do yours.. Like many topics here, you don't want other ppl telling YOU how to live YOUR life, you claim they have NO RIGHT to do so.. What gives YOU the RIGHT to tell them or force them..
Get over yourselves and get over it already. They got over you a long time ago, believe that.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #264
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8231 Times on 4240 Posts
Likes Given: 9476

Ive been somewhat successful most of my life. It wasnt a fluke of luck, I had no father after age 6, no live in male role model whatsoever. They were Mill Workers, Farmers, Skilled and unskilled as well as "professionals". I emulated Men (And some Women) that I most respected and I can assure you, none of them were Hollywood or Entertainia! They all worked hard, cared for their homes and families and asked much less from our society that they put into it every day. Very few were famous in anyones eyes but the ones that loved them but they left a bigger footprint in my head than all the "interesting people" today can muster.

Ive seen the outcome of people doing things they were never meant to do by birthright, paddling up the creek 24/7/365. It hasnt been glam and dreamy for most of them. I dont envy them and many of them probably wish they only had "normal" challenges like the 95% + of their fellow human beings.

Additional,
Quote:
I find it HILARIOUS that some are sooo upset about all this.. It's sad that some ppl care so much about such superficial trivialities and claim them to do the downfall of civilization.. HILARIOUS
I thought the thread was going pretty good actually, not much in the way of traditional Homophobia or idiology at all, pretty good for a bunch of gun totin hetero, chew spitten Neanderthals...

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 12-18-2013 at 12:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #265

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
The pussification of America is in full swing on this thread. . . .
I concur with most of what you stated. The exception is Ďpussificationí. That is, if you meant to imply weakness. Iíve guess Iíve been lucky. The women Iíve known and envied are pretty damm strong. At least the ones I developed & kept a relationship with. No princesses for me thank you.

ďTo be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.Ē e. e. cummings

The gender divide is not easy to surmount. Many who attempt, lose their families, work, and sometimes their lives. It is not easy. Whatever you may think of the worthwhileness of jumping the fence of gender roles and/or appearances, it requires balls, regardless of whether one actually has them or not.

Life is relatively easy for those round pegs who easily fit in societyís round holes. Not so easy for those of us who are square. It is those of us who donít fit, who are different, who are responsible for the big advances in culture & science. It is those with the trait of being a square peg who have the courage/necessity to work on changing the shape of the hole.

Granted, Iím speaking about more than just men wearing skinny jeans & earrings. Many who do, are just attention hogs. Or are ĎCounter Conformistsí and donít have any more insight or different perspective than their cohorts. I donít have much use for them either.

One of the attractions the military held for me was that since everybody looked and dressed the same, it is what was on the inside that counted. Except Iíve been told that differentiation isnít really appreciated there either. (I wouldnít have lasted 20 minutes in boot.)

Or something.

ďIt takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.Ēe. e. cummings
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #266

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That was just awesome!! I guess 80's generation were the last breed that had some sense of responsibility towards humanity and kept most of what's needed to get along with the previous generations.... But I guess there's good and bad in every generation. I just seen an individual yesterday with pants hanging closer to his knees then his waist & a shirt bigger then needed for 2 of his size at a LGS looking for a 30 30 Marlin lever action I have to admit, I had my doubts when he first walked through the door. Then again I make a stop at Starbucks on my way to the Range sometimes ( live In fort hood can't just walk outside and shoot). Well I grew up in NY(I'm one of those "I'm not from Texas but I came down here as fast as I could kinda guy) so when I think coffee Starbucks is the first thing comes to mind.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #267
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I concur with most of what you stated. The exception is ‘pussification’. That is, if you meant to imply weakness. I’ve guess I’ve been lucky. The women I’ve known and envied are pretty damm strong. At least the ones I developed & kept a relationship with. No princesses for me thank you. “To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.” e. e. cummings The gender divide is not easy to surmount. Many who attempt, lose their families, work, and sometimes their lives. It is not easy. Whatever you may think of the worthwhileness of jumping the fence of gender roles and/or appearances, it requires balls, regardless of whether one actually has them or not. Life is relatively easy for those round pegs who easily fit in society’s round holes. Not so easy for those of us who are square. It is those of us who don’t fit, who are different, who are responsible for the big advances in culture & science. It is those with the trait of being a square peg who have the courage/necessity to work on changing the shape of the hole. Granted, I’m speaking about more than just men wearing skinny jeans & earrings. Many who do, are just attention hogs. Or are ‘Counter Conformists’ and don’t have any more insight or different perspective than their cohorts. I don’t have much use for them either. One of the attractions the military held for me was that since everybody looked and dressed the same, it is what was on the inside that counted. Except I’ve been told that differentiation isn’t really appreciated there either. (I wouldn’t have lasted 20 minutes in boot.) Or something. “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.”e. e. cummings
I gave the dictionary definitions. Sorry if that bothers you. But that's what those words mean

Last edited by DeltaF; 12-18-2013 at 01:51 PM.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #268

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I gave the dictionary definitions. Sorry if that bothers you. But that's what those words mean
There’s a dictionary definition for ‘pussification’?? It didn't bother me. I mostly agreed.

Is there a dictionary definition for ‘prickafacation’?

Last edited by Vincine; 12-18-2013 at 02:31 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #269

Liked 448 Times on 263 Posts

How about this, as a contributing cause, to why boys act 'soft'....

Almost daily I see some stories like:

1. "More and more parents pull kids from football, worried about concussions"

2. "Boy, 6, suspended from elementary school for making gun-like hand gesture while playing Army on the playground at recess"

3. "San Diego family says no toy guns or action figures for their boys"

It's this kind of thing, overprotection, that creates wusses. You can't continually wrap your boys in bubble wrap or rush in to right the wrongs that happen to them without making wusses. Throw in a dash of 'everyone gets a trophy just for playing' and a pinch of 'you're not going outside, some molester might run off with you' and you get weaklings. All that's left is choir, dance, parent cuddling, and being told 'you're special' over 1000 times a day.

Waking up, as a kid, early, and walking out and riding off on your bike without telling anyone where you were going, with no way for anyone to get ahold of you, left to explore and fight your own fights as long as you were home by dinner, that is what created 'men'. As another poster said this stopped in the 80s. By default, every successive generation has had more and more limits placed on it. The media scares parents with stories of injury or abduction and parents respond by putting kids on lockdown. That is the direct cause of 'sweet acting' boys.
People Like This 
Old 12-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #270
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4622 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 2331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Conjecture. Fashionable tan has nothing to do with the industrial revolution. It came about only after WW1 during the roaring 20's. (That's right! Tired of talking guns!)
And Vincine-also, there is no evidence that Redneck originally meant burned in the sun. Not getting deep into that now, but no need to make things up, you make good points without it.