Anyone else gotten laid off?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anyone else gotten laid off?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Anyone else gotten laid off?

Well, I got a shock when I walked in yesterday...sorry, your position has been terminated. According to my manager there was nothing wrong with my work or behavior, tenur had nothing to do with it, pay had nothing to do with it, somehow I was the lucky one.

I know God has a plan, its just very frustrating. Anyone else going thru this too?

If anyone around the Asheville, NC area knows of anything opening up let me know. I'm a jack of all trades and have done a little bit of everything thru the years.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That sucks brother! Sorry to hear that and I hope that you find something quick to get you back to work.

Best of luck in the search - get those resume's out there and start banging on some doors.

JD

Old 01-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm going through what could be called a furlough. The company expects stuff to pick back up in a week or two.

More than half of the work force got laid off. I got luck and got a long vacation over the holidays.

Sorry to hear we were hit be the crappy economy. Fear not, Obama will make everything better.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I got my lay off last Thursday. Boss said if/when stuff picks up, he's gonna call me. I figure if I sit by the phone, Obammy will call and offer me my piece of the pie!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2863 Times on 1491 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Spousal unit has been out of work for about 5 months. Unemployment runs out next month. Spends her days applying for jobs, going to interviews etc. Last job she interviewed for had 450 applicants! They had to try to sift through the apps to find a handful to interview.

Supposed to start Monday with a company a friend works for. We'll see how that works out.

I am fortunate to be in a fairly recession proof field. When the economy gets bad, I get busy. I have been here so long we would have to be in a total economic melt down for me to get layed off.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am sorry to hear that for all of those who got caught in the mess. Hang in there, things will get better. Anybody who saw the 70s understands this, either from seeing their parents having to muddle through or themselves if they were in the work force. Sh***y deal all around though. Good luck gents.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #7

Liked 79 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I got laid off in July. Went back to work in an entirely different field in August. Hang in there. One door closes, another opens.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. I've been there a couple of times and my present position is pretty shaky.

In both cases when I was laid-off, it resulted in my getting a better job, so there may be a reason to celebrate. If I had not been laid off, I never would have met my wife of 33 years and my 2 children never would have been born. A lay-off resulted in a new job with a better police agency, which presented me with the opportunity to end my career on the up-stroke, retiring at the top of my game.

In the mean-time try to keep your spirits up and your family & friends close.

Best of luck, and God bless.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 01-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't been laid off but things around here are very slow. I'm in the construction industry and not much going on.

Hang in there things will get better !!!!!

The only times in this nations history that anything great happened it was because normal men put aside their petty differences and fight for a common cause.

Chester

"The great object is that every man be armed . . . Everyone who is able may have a gun." (Patrick Henry, in the Virginia Convention on the ratification of the Constitution.)

Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
Hang in there things will get better !!!!!
Things in my area are not good at all. Several large plants (chemical, industrial, metals) have already announced scheduled lay offs to the unions. Most have no contractractors in plant anymore. Even the biggies (DuPont and the like) are running just enough product to keep the lines open.

It will get better, sometime, this is the USA, damn it.

I think it will get worse before it gets better. How long will it take for those Obamites to admit thier stupidity?

Lotsa 'cradle to the grave' mentality out there. I mean LOTSA!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!