Anybody planting a garden.... - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #81
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8672 Times on 5014 Posts
Likes Given: 11265

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Notes from my garden:

The lettuce has been picked. (Amish Deer Lettuce and Four Seasons) The Arugala bolted, but tasted good, very peppery. I picked two burpless cukes and stuck 'em in the fridge yesterday. The lemon cucumbers have a ton of blossoms, but no fruit yet.

Most of the tomato plants are finally starting to bear although several still haven't got any flowers yet. The Eggplants are just about ready to bear. My Dill looked like crap, it just wasn't doing well, tall and spindly, so I pulled it. Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano and two types of Basil are doing great. The onions look healthy, but need more time in the ground.

I hadn't had a vegetable garden for fifteen years, so this has been a re-learning experience for me. I've learned stuff that I'll apply to the next garden. I also want to expand the size of the garden next year.

I can't wait to eat and can the tomatoes.
You aren't too far from me, and everything in my garden and orchard is about three weeks behind a normal season. Last year everything was two weeks late. Things are abnormally cool this year too. I still have yet to harvest a decent size tomato. My lemon cukes just gave me the first ones of the season and normally I would have dozens by now. The berries are all bearing pretty well though.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Yeah, the late season cold and rain certainly seems to have affected the growing season.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #83

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default keeping deer out of garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
So far the 4 foot high poultry wire fence has kept both the deer and the rabbits out of my garden. I know the deer could jump it if they wanted, but I guess they have enough other stuff to eat.
My wife learned of a great idea from a girlfriend in Idaho. She ties plastic grocery bags to the top of the fence and the flapping and noise keep the deer away.
Put a small hole in the bottom so the wind doesnt take them away and it does work.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #84

If a deer can't see over a fence it won't jump it (would you?). Wire fences must be 8 feet tall to prevent deer from jumping over, and sometimes they will ram through it if the food source is tasty enough (like your garden) but if you build a 6 foot wood fence they won't even try it. Just sayin'.

Also, I am thinking about building a greenhouse and I was thinking that I can get a bunch of old shower doors and the like to use for the glass. I can get them for free (apparently tempered glass is not recyclable so it goes to the landfill) and they come in pretty much standard sizes. My son says that real glass is a bad choice that plastic sheeting would be better, but I figure the tempered glass is free and a whole lot more durable. It doesn't matter if it is frosted or calcified.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #85
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7638 Times on 4590 Posts
Likes Given: 9532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
If a deer can't see over a fence it won't jump it (would you?). Wire fences must be 8 feet tall to prevent deer from jumping over, and sometimes they will ram through it if the food source is tasty enough (like your garden) but if you build a 6 foot wood fence they won't even try it. Just sayin'.

Also, I am thinking about building a greenhouse and I was thinking that I can get a bunch of old shower doors and the like to use for the glass. I can get them for free (apparently tempered glass is not recyclable so it goes to the landfill) and they come in pretty much standard sizes. My son says that real glass is a bad choice that plastic sheeting would be better, but I figure the tempered glass is free and a whole lot more durable. It doesn't matter if it is frosted or calcified.
But wouldn't a six foot wood fence also block a lot of sun from your garden?

Old 07-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #86
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7638 Times on 4590 Posts
Likes Given: 9532

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Man this sucks...Every one of my Tomatoe's have real big splits...The HEAT is just splitting them to hell.....
Holy cow!!! I am right now eating one of my ugly, split tomatoes. Let me assure you, the taste is EXQUISITE!! I cut out the deep splits and just eating the ones that are only scars. EXQUISITE taste, I tell you.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #87

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

If the HEAT isn't getting them the birds are....Just fond five Tomatoe's with big holes in them or the whole side eating away....I'm picking them green before the heat or the birds get them.....The plastic bag trick sounds like it would work with scaring the deer away.......

Old 07-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #88

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
If the HEAT isn't getting them the birds are....Just fond five Tomatoes with big holes in them or the whole side eating away....I'm picking them green before the heat or the birds get them.....The plastic bag trick sounds like it would work with scaring the deer away.......
Two years ago the deer decimated our garden. Last year we put the bags on the top wire of the fence and never had a problem with deer after that.
You can try it or not but it did work for us.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
But wouldn't a six foot wood fence also block a lot of sun from your garden?
I guess that depends entirely on the size of your fenced garden, doesn't it? All of my gardens have wire fencing, one 1000 sq' area has chicken wire fully enclosing it (for bird protection, this section is mostly berries) and I do not use wood fencing. My neighbor does though and it does work very well for him (he has about a quarter acre fenced I would guess). He has the gate on the south side and access pathway along that length of the enclosure, so I imagine that this addresses most of the shading caused by the fence.

The plastic bags work for awhile I am told, but eventually the deer get used to it. Same for the mylar ribbons I am told. The vineyards around here (and there are a lot of them) put up the mylar ribbons for the birds just before the fruit ripens and then take them off when pruning in the winter to prevent the birds from becoming used to them. All of the vineyards are fenced with 8 or 9 foot tall wire for the deer and rabbits (tighter woven wire at the base of the fence).

Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Tomato Peckers....

Quote:
If the HEAT isn't getting them the birds are....Just fond five Tomatoe's with big holes in them or the whole side eating away....I'm picking them green before the heat or the birds get them.....The plastic bag trick sounds like it would work with scaring the deer away.......
Try hanging the red xmas tree ornaments [ bulbs] next to the tomato's, it may discourage them if they peck on the bulb instead of the fruit. Pellet guns work better.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........