Anybody planting a garden.... - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1197 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Can you collect and store rain water while it is raining? Or has the drought be a long time? If you shower in a tub type shower, close the drain and let the water gather in the tub and use that to water the garden. The little bit of soap won't hurt it. Can you save the rinse cycle water from your washing mashine? That could be reused, too. Not the wash cycle but the rinse cycle.
Yes, you can use a cistern or a barrel to collect rainwater for your garden, since it lacks chlorine, etc. it is better for your garden than "city" water. Some collect rain water to wash cars and such when water restrictions are in place.

Gray water (laundry, dishwasher, etc.) may certainly be used for ornamental gardens, unless you have some local ordinance against it.

Just google Gray Water Gardening, you will get dozens of hits.

By the way, I cut a cauliflower tonight washed it cooked it immediately. How cool is that???!!!

Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 AM   #72

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

We have corn, t'maters, snaps, pumpkins, carrots, watermelon, and a few more (I unno what, the wife planted 'em). Our sunflowers couldn't take the heat and all died off....but them pumkins will still have seeds!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

My tomatoes are loving the heat this summer...the peppers, not so much. They are planted in my front flower beds among the flowers. I planted some green beans in a garden out back with some parsley, but ran into an unexpected setback. I had started the beans out in a little starter peat pot kit so I could bring them inside in case of late spring frost, then planted them in the ground after it was warmer. Unfortunately, the wild turkeys have been digging up my backyard and kept pulling out the beans to look for bugs underneath! They were really easy for the birds to pull out, with most of the roots still contained in that little cylinder of soil. I kept putting them back in the ground and watering them, but I couldn't keep up...darn turkeys just keep coming back I finally put more seeds directly into the ground, and the turkeys don't seem to mess with those.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #74
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8261 Times on 4773 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
My tomatoes are loving the heat this summer...the peppers, not so much. They are planted in my front flower beds among the flowers. I planted some green beans in a garden out back with some parsley, but ran into an unexpected setback. I had started the beans out in a little starter peat pot kit so I could bring them inside in case of late spring frost, then planted them in the ground after it was warmer. Unfortunately, the wild turkeys have been digging up my backyard and kept pulling out the beans to look for bugs underneath! They were really easy for the birds to pull out, with most of the roots still contained in that little cylinder of soil. I kept putting them back in the ground and watering them, but I couldn't keep up...darn turkeys just keep coming back I finally put more seeds directly into the ground, and the turkeys don't seem to mess with those.
My solution for that would be to eat the turkeys.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #75
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8261 Times on 4773 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

We have probably 1500 square feet of garden. Tomatoes, potatoes, beans, lemon cukes (much tastier than the typical kind!) blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, corn, peppers, artichokes and more. Hard to remember it all.

Most everything is started indoors (I am building a greenhouse someday) and plant them outside when they are big enough and it is warm enough. When I plant the tomato seedlings I will strip the stem halfway up and them plant them to the first leaves as some mentioned earlier that gives them a bigger root system.

The potatoes are planted in 55 gallon drums (I have several steel barrels I got from the newspaper a long time ago. They had India ink in them, which won't harm the plants. You need to know what was in the barrels lest you poison the plants and/or yourself with some carcinogen or something.) I plant several pieces of potato that I have sprouted in the bottom of each drum in 8 inches of soil, when the plants are 8 inches tall, I add more soil and continue doing this until the barrels are full. It takes several months but it is a great way to do it in a small space. It also makes it easier to dig them, I just dump the barrel out and sift through the dirt. Next year I am only going to do one drum at a time and spread them out though the year.

Everything is in raised beds with gopher wire on the bottom, this lasts about 10 to 15 years in my experience. I use composted horse manure but I may change that because I heard that the dewormers that the horses are given will kill all of the worms in your garden. Not good! Chicken manure is good too but it must be composted for a year or so to be safe to use without burning the plants. I have chickens too so that helps. Oh, and we keep bees for the pollination and the honey. I have 15 hives that I keep in different places.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #76

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Man this sucks...Every one of my Tomatoe's have real big splits...The HEAT is just splitting them to hell.....

Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #77
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7091 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 8599

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Man this sucks...Every one of my Tomatoe's have real big splits...The HEAT is just splitting them to hell.....
Well, I am having the same problem. I just brought in 4 Beefsteak tomatoes and they all have splits. I also brought in a bunch of cherry tomatoes that are fine. I'm eating the split ones, anyway. But it is aggravating.

What Causes a Tomato to Crack or Split? | Veggie Gardener

Old 07-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
My solution for that would be to eat the turkeys.
Lol...I doubt they would be very tasty...they are young and slender...

Old 07-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadamai View Post
Lol...I doubt they would be very tasty...they are young and slender...
Oh yes they would be!
Make em into turkey pot pie!!

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #80
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Notes from my garden:

The lettuce has been picked. (Amish Deer Lettuce and Four Seasons) The Arugala bolted, but tasted good, very peppery. I picked two burpless cukes and stuck 'em in the fridge yesterday. The lemon cucumbers have a ton of blossoms, but no fruit yet.

Most of the tomato plants are finally starting to bear although several still haven't got any flowers yet. The Eggplants are just about ready to bear. My Dill looked like crap, it just wasn't doing well, tall and spindly, so I pulled it. Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano and two types of Basil are doing great. The onions look healthy, but need more time in the ground.

I hadn't had a vegetable garden for fifteen years, so this has been a re-learning experience for me. I've learned stuff that I'll apply to the next garden. I also want to expand the size of the garden next year.

I can't wait to eat and can the tomatoes.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams