Anybody planting a garden.... - Page 41
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #401
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I tried to do container gardening this year and it turned out poorly. One tomato plant just died about a month in and the other two were weak. The two pepper plants did ok but they could have been better.

This weekend I layed plastic down to cook part of my yard to kill it so that I can use it for an actual garden next year. The area is 6'X10" and I think that will be more than enough for just me.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:51 AM   #402
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2897 Times on 1886 Posts

Tomatoes and peppers typically do better in containers than most others, their roots like warm soil, which the container provides being above ground. Watering is essential in containers, because the soil loses moisture more rapidly than ground soil does. Mulching the soil in containers helps to conserve and regulate moisture levels.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #403
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8751 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 11604

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Tomatoes and peppers typically do better in containers than most others, their roots like warm soil, which the container provides being above ground. Watering is essential in containers, because the soil loses moisture more rapidly than ground soil does. Mulching the soil in containers helps to conserve and regulate moisture levels.
I have quite successfully grown tomatoes and all kinds of pepper plants in containers.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #404
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Damn you Monsanto................

WTH..........I saved the seeds off of the most beautifull straight eight cukes from the spring. This fall I planted 24 plants, and all I got was male flowers and meybe one and repeat one female. These were planted weeks ago. Then again it my be my fault. Only save the seeds from the fruit or vegies nearst the root. My punkins produced females before the male flowers came out, that's not right.................... But in todays world..........lol............What the hell. I'm working on my own crop of Heirloom white beans for the future. You can't have to much gas............lol...........

Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #405
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
WTH..........I saved the seeds off of the most beautifull straight eight cukes from the spring. This fall I planted 24 plants, and all I got was male flowers and meybe one and repeat one female. These were planted weeks ago. Then again it my be my fault. Only save the seeds from the fruit or vegies nearst the root. My punkins produced females before the male flowers came out, that's not right.................... But in todays world..........lol............What the hell. I'm working on my own crop of Heirloom white beans for the future. You can't have to much gas............lol...........
Seeds from hybrid plants can do funny things like that.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #406
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Heirloom seeds.................

These straight eight were supposed to be heirloom................No other cukes for miles around, and I had 4 faithfull bumble bees every day to polinate..................

Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #407
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Lettuce is awesome this time of the year! Now I have to cover it at night to keep the frost from killing it.

P.s. Lou eats it too.
forumrunner_20131022_090920.jpg
People Like This 
Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #408
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1961 Times on 1253 Posts
Likes Given: 4422

Quote:
Lettuce is awesome this time of the year! Now I have to cover it at night to keep the frost from killing it.

P.s. Lou eats it too.
Attachment 123420
Nice! I'm still kicking myself because I didn't get any of my fall plants in the ground - lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, and turnip and mustard greens.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #409
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My turnips arent golf ball size yet, but still growing. Two or three more weeks should tell me if I planted them at the right time. I didn't do any fall broccoli or cabbage because the last 4 years were a waste of time: virtually no production.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #410

Liked 649 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:

P.s. Lou eats it too.
Attachment 123420
Looks good Primer! Tonight or tomorrow night we are supposed to get our first frost...Wish I would've planted our last sweet corn patch a bit later,along with some Fall garden plants.