Anybody planting a garden.... - Page 35
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #341
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8454 Times on 4898 Posts
Likes Given: 11022

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Thanks for the tips willshoum,I really appreciate the tip and will be looking for some type of crab meat or tuna??

Yesterday we put a temporary chain link fence with t-posts around the sweetcorn patch they keep visiting,we added more steel traps around the outside perimeter and they still climbed in last night?
I guess we're going to try an electric fence around the chain link fence to save the last bit of this patch?

This is our first sweetcorn patch planted this spring,what happened after we planted we had heavy rains and flooding and lost 50-60% of the patch. So 2 weeks later I was able to get in and replant what had flooded,the early planting we didn't have so much problems with the coons. Now with the remaining 50-60% just about ready for harvest we can't keep those sons of guns out!!??

I have to figure how to keep these Bandits out of our last sweetcorn patch of the season which will be ready in mid Sept.? 12 rows 30 feet long of Ambrosia sweetcorn some of the best eating.

Thanks again
Too bad the pelts aren't worth anything this time of year. Maybe make some hats out of them?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #342
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Mother nature............

Augh,,,,,,,,,,,, Nothing but rain, bugs, and worms that eat every thing that sprouts.....................I should be growing snailes to sell to the French................ The yard and house is covered in them...................

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #343

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Too bad the pelts aren't worth anything this time of year. Maybe make some hats out of them?
Haha I might have one of them coonskin hats before the gardening season's over lol
I wish the pelts were worth more,I may have to take up coon hunting any way.

I went a head and harvested all of the sweetcorn that was ready,we went a head and cut all the stalks that we or the coons had picked? There's about 24 ears or that we had to leave to finish growing.

All in all the sweetcorn patch produced really well,we had 10 rows 30 feet long that produced 15 or more dozen of some of the best eating sweetcorn,just ask the Raccoons lol

Now we need to figure out how to keep those bandits out of the 12 rows of sweetcorn that should be ready mid Sept..Im thinking electric fence for Sept.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #344
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Haha I might have one of them coonskin hats before the gardening season's over lol
I wish the pelts were worth more,I may have to take up coon hunting any way.

I went a head and harvested all of the sweetcorn that was ready,we went a head and cut all the stalks that we or the coons had picked? There's about 24 ears or that we had to leave to finish growing.

All in all the sweetcorn patch produced really well,we had 10 rows 30 feet long that produced 15 or more dozen of some of the best eating sweetcorn,just ask the Raccoons lol

Now we need to figure out how to keep those bandits out of the 12 rows of sweetcorn that should be ready mid Sept..Im thinking electric fence for Sept.
Locate the incoming trail...........Set up leg traps or live traps along the trail before they get into the corn. Sweet corn or not, COONS LOVE FRESH CORN...........If you plant pop corn on the outside rows with the shorter stalks they'll go for these first, they don't have to work as hard..........

MOshooter Likes This 
Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #345

Liked 2497 Times on 1623 Posts

Second round of beans are starting to bud, I hope the upper 40s temps they are forecasting for tonight dont ruin them.

Rototilled yesterday, went out to plant turnips, radishes, and lettuce today, and found feral cat chit in several spots. Game on, felines. The box trap and garden hose await.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Augh,,,,,,,,,,,, Nothing but rain, bugs, and worms that eat every thing that sprouts.....................I should be growing snailes to sell to the French................ The yard and house is covered in them...................
We,ve had some problems with the caterpillars in the first batch of sweetcorn,but the bugs haven't been as bad as last year for us in the drought of 12'

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Locate the incoming trail...........Set up leg traps or live traps along the trail before they get into the corn. Sweet corn or not, COONS LOVE FRESH CORN...........If you plant pop corn on the outside rows with the shorter stalks they'll go for these first, they don't have to work as hard..........
I can't catch anything but stupid opossums and a couple young rabbits?,those raccoons are fairly smart little critters. I haven't found their exact trail,I believe they're traveling through our soybean field?

Thanks for the trappin' tips. I'm working with 4 live traps and 17 steel traps,I should've boiled the steel traps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Second round of beans are starting to bud, I hope the upper 40s temps they are forecasting for tonight dont ruin them.

Rototilled yesterday, went out to plant turnips, radishes, and lettuce today, and found feral cat chit in several spots. Game on, felines. The box trap and garden hose await.
Primer you must be quite a bit North to be seeing 40s? Although here in central MO. we've been seeing the night temps creep down in the mid 50s...It has been a strange summer here in central mo.

Good luck with the second round of beans,we're on our third picking from this years bean crop and still blooming.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #347

Liked 2497 Times on 1623 Posts

Lima, northwest Ohio. I've picked four times, they are getting thinned out.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #348
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
We,ve had some problems with the caterpillars in the first batch of sweetcorn,but the bugs haven't been as bad as last year for us in the drought of 12'

I can't catch anything but stupid opossums and a couple young rabbits?,those raccoons are fairly smart little critters. I haven't found their exact trail,I believe they're traveling through our soybean field?

Thanks for the trappin' tips. I'm working with 4 live traps and 17 steel traps,I should've boiled the steel traps.

Primer you must be quite a bit North to be seeing 40s? Although here in central MO. we've been seeing the night temps creep down in the mid 50s...It has been a strange summer here in central mo.

Good luck with the second round of beans,we're on our third picking from this years bean crop and still blooming.
Damn i wished you was my neighbor............i would have gained 20 # and made money to pay for the beer................

MOshooter Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #349

All in all the garden has done pretty well this year even with a late start.

I highly recommend Ambrosia sweetcorn,we've been planting this for the past 2 years and it some of the best tasting sweetcorn we've grown,it takes 65 days from germination to harvest.
We had 10 rows 30 feet long and harvested 15+ dozen ears.

My wife's a home coordinator for people that need assisted living,that have special needs. We took some sweetcorn over to them from the garden,lol They loved the sweetcorn,wasn't an ear to be had after dinner!

Our beans have really produced this year,everybody had fresh greenbeans and Mom has canned 67 pints,7qts.,with 21 more pints to pick and can tomorrow.
We planted 4 rows 30 feet long,they're still blooming after 4 pickings.

Our Cantaloupe patch consisting of 9 hills of 3 plants have just gone crazy with cantaloupe everywhere!! We picked our first 2 ripe cantaloupe last week, with probably 50 more on the vines that will be ready this week or next week?

We have 12 rows 30 feet long of sweetcorn that should be ready mid Sept. We're going to try and blanch and freeze some corn on the cob this year.

Tomatoes have been doing very well,even with the late start all in all it has been a very good gardening season.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #350

Liked 759 Times on 422 Posts
Likes Given: 1560

Default My garden...

First round of cucumbers about done... Cherry tomatoes did (and still doing) well... Planting lettuce, kale and second round of cucumbers this weekend... eyeing the pulling of the squash plant... didn't do too good this year.

...Anyone have suggestions on how to control cutworm damage??