Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MOshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Show Me State
Posts: 1,474
Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Default

Thanks Primer

Your beans look really good there,we're just starting blooms on our beans.

It has really started to get dry around here,so we've been hauling water from our pond to irrigate the last 2 weeks,ready for some rain!

__________________
MOshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #312
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RJMercer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 512
Liked 395 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Default

Who amongst the gardeners root plow the garden in the dry months after the growing season vs. right before spring tilling.

__________________

Hey..... what's the red button do?

RJMercer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #313
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,233
Liked 1800 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Default Standard practice................

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMercer View Post
Who amongst the gardeners root plow the garden in the dry months after the growing season vs. right before spring tilling.
Whats a dry month, the object is to plow early and turn under whats left including all the weeds. Then start making your rows in january. Thats if your not planting a fall crop. You can plant turnips and mustard greens right on top of plowed ground with out making rows in the fall. Good luck.....
__________________

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #314
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RJMercer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 512
Liked 395 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Whats a dry month, the object is to plow early and turn under whats left including all the weeds. Then start making your rows in january. Thats if your not planting a fall crop. You can plant turnips and mustard greens right on top of plowed ground with out making rows in the fall. Good luck.....
Ya.... depending on where you are in LA there might not be many dry months and I'd bet your soil is in much better shape than mine.
In OK we have hard clay and loam that has to be subsoiled to break up hard pan compaction and aid in drainage and absorption. Some folks subsoil plow (rip, shank plow) a couple ft deep when the ground is pretty dry and hard so the clay layers will shatter and make for a softer root bed and will take on water better. Others subsoil right before tilling to make the ground tillable.
Just wondered if there were any preferences or any advice for sub soiling, shank plowing, ripping or root plowing from the green thumbs.
__________________

Hey..... what's the red button do?

RJMercer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #315
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,233
Liked 1800 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Default deep plowing...........

Iv'e got a plow that will solve your problems, shoud go at least 2.5 to 3 feet deep with the cutter blade up front. You gonna need a Big tractor with a lot of horse power........I think it was used to rough out ditches and split the rows of sugar cane prior to running the gang choppers for next years planting............

__________________

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #316
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RJMercer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 512
Liked 395 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Default

I have the plow. Looks a lot like http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-sub-soiler?cm_vc=-100050. I only have 34hp so a 5 shank 3ft deep ripper wouldn't do much but sit there and laugh while I spin tires and cuss.
My big dilemma is to rip it when it is wet or dry and what time of year to do it to get the most benefit out of the rock solid red clay that we call soil. If luck smiles on me it might even help me incorporate some sand into the root bed.

__________________

Hey..... what's the red button do?

RJMercer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #317
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ST.LOUIS,missouri
Posts: 2,545
Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default

Talked to my sister just north of Houston Texas this morning and she was so happy they got rain yesterday...They had to cut down two big shade tree's in her yard that the drought killed over the last few years...They only have a few tomato plants next to the house they water...To much work for a garden in Texas she said.....

__________________
LONGHAIR is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #318
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,708
Liked 8043 Times on 4639 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Default

Some time ago I posted pics of the fig tree I am doing an espalier with for my mom. It currently has 15 little figgies on it. Normally I would pinch these back to promote more growth in the tree, but mom is declining in health so I am letting them grow so she can enjoy them sooner. The tree will still grow and I can "fix" it later when time is not an issue for me. Anyhow, I removed all of the frame and then rebuilt it behind the tree so it is no longer obscuring the tree from view (if you remember the earlier pictures). It is terribly unbalanced but again, that is a result of my trying to get things going more quickly. I can balance it out and clean it up later. Here is a pic of Mom with fig leaves .

dscn0930.jpg  
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #319
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,233
Liked 1800 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Default Lol.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMercer View Post
I have the plow. Looks a lot like http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-sub-soiler?cm_vc=-100050. I only have 34hp so a 5 shank 3ft deep ripper wouldn't do much but sit there and laugh while I spin tires and cuss.
My big dilemma is to rip it when it is wet or dry and what time of year to do it to get the most benefit out of the rock solid red clay that we call soil. If luck smiles on me it might even help me incorporate some sand into the root bed.
No man, I'm talking about a plow that can be used for an anchor for a tanker ship............
__________________

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #320
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
willshoum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houma, La.,La.
Posts: 5,233
Liked 1800 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Default Once apon a time...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMercer View Post
Ya.... depending on where you are in LA there might not be many dry months and I'd bet your soil is in much better shape than mine.
In OK we have hard clay and loam that has to be subsoiled to break up hard pan compaction and aid in drainage and absorption. Some folks subsoil plow (rip, shank plow) a couple ft deep when the ground is pretty dry and hard so the clay layers will shatter and make for a softer root bed and will take on water better. Others subsoil right before tilling to make the ground tillable.
Just wondered if there were any preferences or any advice for sub soiling, shank plowing, ripping or root plowing from the green thumbs.
Years back I had this little hand book I ordered thru the mail. This full time mom on a farm that had your same problems. And she loved gardning. She didnt have anything but a hoe and shovel and lots of hay and manure. She spread this out on her small plot of bad ground, the worms and micro organisms did the rest. Come planting time all she did was brush away the mulch and plant with out tilling. She grew an encredible crop of every thing she planted........All she did was to keep adding layer after layer of hay and cow chit........
__________________

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

willshoum is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.22 revolver found in garden stuckboy Revolver Handguns 8 02-27-2010 03:14 PM
Everyone Should be Ready. Rex84, Garden Plot Cory Politics, Religion and Controversy 17 03-31-2009 06:14 PM
Food czar coming to your backyard garden! Bigcountry02 Politics, Religion and Controversy 4 03-29-2009 01:19 AM



Newest Threads