Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Thanks Primer

Your beans look really good there,we're just starting blooms on our beans.

It has really started to get dry around here,so we've been hauling water from our pond to irrigate the last 2 weeks,ready for some rain!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #312
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 395 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Who amongst the gardeners root plow the garden in the dry months after the growing season vs. right before spring tilling.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 AM   #313
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1800 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Default Standard practice................

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMercer View Post
Who amongst the gardeners root plow the garden in the dry months after the growing season vs. right before spring tilling.
Whats a dry month, the object is to plow early and turn under whats left including all the weeds. Then start making your rows in january. Thats if your not planting a fall crop. You can plant turnips and mustard greens right on top of plowed ground with out making rows in the fall. Good luck.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #314
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Whats a dry month, the object is to plow early and turn under whats left including all the weeds. Then start making your rows in january. Thats if your not planting a fall crop. You can plant turnips and mustard greens right on top of plowed ground with out making rows in the fall. Good luck.....
Ya.... depending on where you are in LA there might not be many dry months and I'd bet your soil is in much better shape than mine.
In OK we have hard clay and loam that has to be subsoiled to break up hard pan compaction and aid in drainage and absorption. Some folks subsoil plow (rip, shank plow) a couple ft deep when the ground is pretty dry and hard so the clay layers will shatter and make for a softer root bed and will take on water better. Others subsoil right before tilling to make the ground tillable.
Just wondered if there were any preferences or any advice for sub soiling, shank plowing, ripping or root plowing from the green thumbs.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #315
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default deep plowing...........

Iv'e got a plow that will solve your problems, shoud go at least 2.5 to 3 feet deep with the cutter blade up front. You gonna need a Big tractor with a lot of horse power........I think it was used to rough out ditches and split the rows of sugar cane prior to running the gang choppers for next years planting............

Old 07-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #316
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have the plow. Looks a lot like http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-sub-soiler?cm_vc=-100050. I only have 34hp so a 5 shank 3ft deep ripper wouldn't do much but sit there and laugh while I spin tires and cuss.
My big dilemma is to rip it when it is wet or dry and what time of year to do it to get the most benefit out of the rock solid red clay that we call soil. If luck smiles on me it might even help me incorporate some sand into the root bed.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #317

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Talked to my sister just north of Houston Texas this morning and she was so happy they got rain yesterday...They had to cut down two big shade tree's in her yard that the drought killed over the last few years...They only have a few tomato plants next to the house they water...To much work for a garden in Texas she said.....

Old 07-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #318
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8043 Times on 4639 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Some time ago I posted pics of the fig tree I am doing an espalier with for my mom. It currently has 15 little figgies on it. Normally I would pinch these back to promote more growth in the tree, but mom is declining in health so I am letting them grow so she can enjoy them sooner. The tree will still grow and I can "fix" it later when time is not an issue for me. Anyhow, I removed all of the frame and then rebuilt it behind the tree so it is no longer obscuring the tree from view (if you remember the earlier pictures). It is terribly unbalanced but again, that is a result of my trying to get things going more quickly. I can balance it out and clean it up later. Here is a pic of Mom with fig leaves .

dscn0930.jpg  

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #319
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Lol.............

Quote:
I have the plow. Looks a lot like http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-sub-soiler?cm_vc=-100050. I only have 34hp so a 5 shank 3ft deep ripper wouldn't do much but sit there and laugh while I spin tires and cuss.
My big dilemma is to rip it when it is wet or dry and what time of year to do it to get the most benefit out of the rock solid red clay that we call soil. If luck smiles on me it might even help me incorporate some sand into the root bed.
No man, I'm talking about a plow that can be used for an anchor for a tanker ship............

Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #320
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Once apon a time...........

Quote:
Ya.... depending on where you are in LA there might not be many dry months and I'd bet your soil is in much better shape than mine.
In OK we have hard clay and loam that has to be subsoiled to break up hard pan compaction and aid in drainage and absorption. Some folks subsoil plow (rip, shank plow) a couple ft deep when the ground is pretty dry and hard so the clay layers will shatter and make for a softer root bed and will take on water better. Others subsoil right before tilling to make the ground tillable.
Just wondered if there were any preferences or any advice for sub soiling, shank plowing, ripping or root plowing from the green thumbs.
Years back I had this little hand book I ordered thru the mail. This full time mom on a farm that had your same problems. And she loved gardning. She didnt have anything but a hoe and shovel and lots of hay and manure. She spread this out on her small plot of bad ground, the worms and micro organisms did the rest. Come planting time all she did was brush away the mulch and plant with out tilling. She grew an encredible crop of every thing she planted........All she did was to keep adding layer after layer of hay and cow chit........