Anybody planting a garden.... - Page 29
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #281
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2454 Times on 1592 Posts

until society breaks down ...

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #282
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8261 Times on 4773 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOshooter View Post
Haha vikingdad,this old gardner has been a bit confused It looks like they are cantaloupe after all,but until we see fruit we may just go with canteans lol

We actually made three more cantaloupe hills because we have so many volunteers everywhere,even with the drought last year we had a fairly nice cantaloupe patch,this year we're a month or two behind.

Attachment 106638
I would thin them out quite a bit, but it might be too late for that. If they are thinned out they will actually produce a bigger crop. They need room to grow, sunlight down into the plant and air movement. All three are important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
I like to pick my vegetables from the local grocery store. They are fresh, cheaper than growing your own, and quite frankly, just as good. The best part is not getting chiggers and ticks while I "tend to my garden".
Well then why don't you just move along then? Nothing for you to see here that interests you.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #283

Planted two more rows of carrots by request of the kid. I can't eat the lettuce as fast as it grows now. Everybodys lettuce started growing fast at the same time and everyone is giving it away.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #284

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I would thin them out quite a bit, but it might be too late for that. If they are thinned out they will actually produce a bigger crop. They need room to grow, sunlight down into the plant and air movement. All three are important.
I agree the cantaloupe need lots of space,along with the sunlight and air circulation.

The photo really doesn't represent the size of the patch very well which was approx. 20'x30' last year with 6 hills of 3 plants. They really did well of course we had to irrigate with the drought,we couldn't eat and give enough away last year

This year with our late start in the garden due to flooding I thought we would experiment with 3 extra hills since we will have a shorter vine growing season this year?

Just playing in the dirt lol

Also I really enjoyed your bee keeping video,it was very informative. I'm hoping one day to get started with a hive or two.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #285

Turnip season has arrived, but they are a little small. Grape tomatoes are starting to swell, but are still all green. Beans are starting their blossoms.

forumrunner_20130624_210404.jpg

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #286

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I have 2 Tomato plants this year...After last year watering all the time with it being so hot and only getting a few tomatoes...I just said the h#ll with-it this year..........

Old 06-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #287

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Turnip season has arrived, but they are a little small. Grape tomatoes are starting to swell, but are still all green. Beans are starting their blossoms.

Attachment 107437
Looks good primer1 and sounds like your garden's doing well

Our garden is beginning to take shape,just way behind compared to last year.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #288

I haven't had any decent rain in weeks, and I'm tired of watering. The big front that moved through yesterday only gave me a tenth.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #289
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1195 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
I like to pick my vegetables from the local grocery store. They are fresh, cheaper than growing your own, and quite frankly, just as good. The best part is not getting chiggers and ticks while I "tend to my garden".
You can get some good stuff in the produce section, but not tomatoes. Picking a fully vine ripened tomato, walking into the kitchen and frying the bacon for BLT's can NOT be replicated with store bought 'maters.

Fresh tomatoes at a grocery store is an oxymoron.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #290

Grape tomatoes are sweet, only had a couple so far. Beans are a couple days from picking. Cucumbers are blooming. Second planting of carrots are up, only to have a feral cat walk down the row. It didn't smash too many, but the trap is set nonetheless.

I whined about no rain for three weeks, the last ten days its rained quite a bit. One day I got almost two inches. Too late for the turnips, but everything else looks like its been drinking energy drinks mixed with miracle grow.

Feral cat waterboarder