Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 273 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

By the sounds of it we all need to start bee keeping!!
Hmmmmm how do you keep that one bee out??

Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #222

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Thats actually very reasonable!

Now, if I just werent deadly alergic...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #223
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6671 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Got a few Tomato plants-in yesterday...In the mud....
You shouldn't plant in the mud. The mud pushes all the air out of the soil and makes it hard around the roots when the mud dries out. You should wait until the ground is "fluffy".

Old 05-10-2013, 02:02 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
You shouldn't plant in the mud. The mud pushes all the air out of the soil and makes it hard around the roots when the mud dries out. You should wait until the ground is "fluffy".
Speaking of which...anyone have an opinion on weed-wacker roto-tiller attachments?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #225

Liked 2339 Times on 1521 Posts

I use a mantis to go in between rows, and tilling small patches. It works good for that, but takes a long time to do my whole garden. As far as trimmer attachments, no experience here.

I planted lettuce, spinach, and radishes Saturday, the radishes were popping up on Thursday. I watered them twice a day, which helps speed up the process. It's raining now, the first real rain in well over a week and a half.

Feral cat waterboarder

BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #226
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7666 Times on 4424 Posts
Likes Given: 9884

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Thats actually very reasonable!

Now, if I just werent deadly alergic...
That could present a problem.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 05-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #227
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6671 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I use a mantis to go in between rows, and tilling small patches. It works good for that, but takes a long time to do my whole garden. As far as trimmer attachments, no experience here.

I planted lettuce, spinach, and radishes Saturday, the radishes were popping up on Thursday. I watered them twice a day, which helps speed up the process. It's raining now, the first real rain in well over a week and a half.
I turn my garden over with a spade and/or a pitchfork.

The rain always does the plants much more good than water from the hose. Your garden will grow quickly now.

I don't know if I'll plant anything this year. Maybe a tomato plant or two to feed my addiction. I usually put in about 8 tomato plants. I'm just so busy with my son's wedding and the weather here is STILL COLD.
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #228

Got the tiller attachment...works pretty well actually. I was surprised.

Getting down to 28 overnight tonight which kinda makes me glad I havent planted anything yet!

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 05-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #229

Liked 2339 Times on 1521 Posts

Radishes are almost ready, turnips are taking off, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage is leafing out and becoming stronger. The lettuce and spinach I planted last weekend has popped up, they will need covered tonight. Everything else will take a light frost and laugh at it.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #230

Liked 675 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 1668

Finally have a nice weekend with no other urgent issues to deal with! Yesterday I pulled the weeds out of three raised beds (with some help from the goats, except they leave the roots ), added a couple of inches of chicken litter compost that's been working all winter, and topped it off with a fresh layer of pasture dirt from the truckload we had delivered a while back. Heading to Atwood's in a few minutes to get some tomato, pepper, eggplant and basil plants, and will have them in the ground shortly. Also getting some cucumber and green beans planted today.

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.