Anybody planting a garden.... - Page 17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #161
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8602

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Mother nature at its worst......Its been raining more often than not. Walking in the yard is like walking on a sponge thats been soaking in water. The worst of the worst comes out in plant diseases.....My onion crop will most likely fail......Its time for the rain to stop.........The weather is like a yo yo.......
I'm sorry, Wills. I hate when things like that happen. I hope it dries up soon and the garden does well.
dango Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #162
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Pruned my Dad's Espaliered Bosc pear today (with my son). Dad had let it get a little too far out of control- he had a tendency to prune too lightly anyhow, so we really put the shears to it. Anyhow,here are the before and after pics. (*also did a Sekel pear, aGolden Delicious apple, a Cherry of unknown type (probably Bing) and a Satsuma plum. If you wantpics of those I can provide them too)
That reminds me. I have to get pictures of "those trees growing flat intertwined with a fence" in the next town over. I forgot what you called that.
dango Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #163
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3166 Times on 1798 Posts
Likes Given: 18402

It would seem one persons curse is another persons blessing ! I'm in need of water badly or drill deeper..!

Good luck and yes , finally , I'll be back at the garden this spring.!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #164
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8269 Times on 4778 Posts
Likes Given: 10693

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
That reminds me. I have to get pictures of "those trees growing flat intertwined with a fence" in the next town over. I forgot what you called that.

That would be neat to see those pics, especially before they break buds. The word is French and pronounced es-pal-yay (Espalier)

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #165
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
That would be neat to see those pics, especially before they break buds. The word is French and pronounced es-pal-yay (Espalier)
Okay. I'll get out there soon. They are beautiful and interesting at all times of the year. Pretty when it's just the naked branches, beautiful when they are fully leafed out, breathtaking when they are highly covered in Christmas lights in the winter. I have no idea what kind of trees they are. I can't remember if I've ever seen them in flower. They are not much more than 8-9 feet tall, it seems, as I drive past. And they have been intertwined with that fence for the majority of the 26 years I've lived in this area.
dango Likes This 
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #166
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2118

Default Low quat......

Thanks to global warming my japan plum tree has produced two crops of fruit. Thanks to the constant rain, the tree rats and the birds, the first crop is ruined........Fingers crossed............

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 02-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Thanks to global warming my japan plum tree has produced two crops of fruit. Thanks to the constant rain, the tree rats and the birds, the first crop is ruined........Fingers crossed............
Is that a Satsuma plum? Those are great!

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 02-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #168
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2118

Default Cross breed......

Quote:
Is that a Satsuma plum? Those are great!
Lol....... No, Japan plum........Grown here all over the south.......Eaten right off the tree like a native persimon.....Most go to waste, the birds and squirrels eat them, and O possums........If you got the time to harvest and peel they make a good cobler........And the old timers make wine......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #169

Just got done doing some work on the potted fig I planted for my mom (pics back a few posts). Since it is on a small second floor deck the space is limited, so I am going to espalier it. This is my first attempt at starting espalier from scratch, but it seems pretty straightforward. The idea is to build a scaffold of branches on a single vertical plane so the plant can grow against a wall or fence without intruding too much into the space outside of that vertical plane. So here is my start. The one pic is from the backside where you can see more of the tree (which is still quite small at this point) and the other is from the front which is where I am working from. In a few weeks I may change over the bamboo that I am using for the support scaffold to the backside but I need to get the basic shape started now.

Drat! The camera memory chip is not cooperating. I'll get the pics uploaded as soon as I can figure out that problem.

Quote:

Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #170

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Damn...More snow here in St.Louis....I;m wanting my fresh tomato's ....I got the egg's coming-in from the chickens but I need to get a garden-in and have fresh tomato's...