Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #151
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7394 Times on 4274 Posts
Likes Given: 9511

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
It looks like you have an auto watering system in one of your pics.....lol....good luck... by the way, what type are you planting......
No watering system. Maybe that is the bed liner on the pickup?

Sorry about that, it is a King fig, also known as Desert King. Mom lives 100 yards from Monterey Bay on Pleasure Point in Santa Cruz, so there is some ocean exposure. King is supposed to do well in that climate.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Ah, that explains why my garden isn't so spectacular.

I dig a whole, put the plant/tree/shrub in. Water it. Walk away. Check on it in a few days.

There is home in a neighboring town that has several tress Espalier style. At Christmas time he puts lights on them. Some day I'll take a picture for you. The trees have been like that for a good 20 years. It's interesting.
Are they Topiary or Espalier? I can't stand Topiary (basically sculpturing boxwood or ivy or whatever.)

Espalier is making the most of a plant in a tight space- typically with a fruiting plant.

Topiary is strictly ornamental.

And then there are these hybrid styles-

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #153
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1366 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 1768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
No watering system. Maybe that is the bed liner on the pickup?

Sorry about that, it is a King fig, also known as Desert King. Mom lives 100 yards from Monterey Bay on Pleasure Point in Santa Cruz, so there is some ocean exposure. King is supposed to do well in that climate.
lol...... no, I meant the dog sniffing the pot......lol........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

People Like This 
Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #154
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Early bird.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Tomatoes? Did someone say Tomatoes????
Just some that grew in a planter, unexpected. I think it was the birds that et my earlier ones and passed the seed into the planter......If they survive, they should produce all year...... No, not big enough for a blt......

Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #155
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1779

I usually do cucumbers, beef steak tomatoes , grape tomatoes , green peppers, habaneros, and jalapenos,
IM extending my garden this year the length of my yard , I have bought a bunch of seeds this year and my garden will hopefully be 3X in size of last year

Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #156
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I usually do cucumbers, beef steak tomatoes , grape tomatoes , green peppers, habaneros, and jalapenos,
IM extending my garden this year the length of my yard , I have bought a bunch of seeds this year and my garden will hopefully be 3X in size of last year
lol... your garden will match you're name, purehavoc......It's more fun than work as my late father would say. Just make sure you plant enough for both you and the pest........And in some cases like we had.....The thieves.......

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #157
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6147 Times on 3729 Posts
Likes Given: 7023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Are they Topiary or Espalier? I can't stand Topiary (basically sculpturing boxwood or ivy or whatever.)

Espalier is making the most of a plant in a tight space- typically with a fruiting plant.

It's definitely this. They have caught my eye ever since I moved here. It's in a neighboring town. At first, my kids and I thought they were fake. But they are all leafed out in the summer and they put lights on them for Christmas. Each tree has it's own Christmas light color. It is really quite attractive. The little trees seem to be woven into a cyclone type fence.

I'll have to park, walk to the house and get some pictures for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
lol...... no, I meant the dog sniffing the pot......lol........
ROFL..........that's pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I just plants tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes and if there's room I put in some tomatoes.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 02-15-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #158
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Tomato mania......

If all you want is damaters, plant trip-L- crop climbing tomatos..... I did one year and they do grow 18 to 25 feet tall..... You can buy the plants from burgess. They need to be poled or plant along a fence line. Latterall is better because you won't need a ladder......And the fruits are huge......all I need now is a recipe for home made baconnnnnnnnnnn.......

Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #159

Pruned my Dad's Espaliered Bosc pear today (with my son). Dad had let it get a little too far out of control- he had a tendency to prune too lightly anyhow, so we really put the shears to it. Anyhow,here are the before and after pics. (*also did a Sekel pear, aGolden Delicious apple, a Cherry of unknown type (probably Bing) and a Satsuma plum. If you wantpics of those I can provide them too)

Quote:

Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #160
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Monkey wrench.....

Mother nature at its worst......Its been raining more often than not. Walking in the yard is like walking on a sponge thats been soaking in water. The worst of the worst comes out in plant diseases.....My onion crop will most likely fail......Its time for the rain to stop.........The weather is like a yo yo.......