Anybody planting a garden.... - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #101
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Lots and lots of tomatoes and peppers. carrots, lettuce, bunch of spices. probably 90 bush bean plants. Garlic is growing pretty good, I'm doubling the bed size for next year. The real biggie is going to be the 300 onion plants... holy crap we're going to be dehydrating for months!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #102
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Gardening tips......

Viking you might want to add holes in the sides of your barrels, then plant peanuts that will grow out the side along with your taters, peanut plants add nitrogen to the soil. If any of you keep rain barrels strickly for watering your your plants, this is what I add to the barrel, old copper, zinc coated nails, rusty nails, crushed egg shells, bannana peelings, left over teabags, oak leaves.....After it has fermented for a while you can even use it to mist the leaves for a really fast pick me up.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 06-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #103
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Smaller garden this year, 7 tomato plants, 9 peppers-mixed types, 4 cabbage and 3 hills of yellow crook neck squash.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #104

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

We grow a pretty good size garden there. and we can a lot of it.
WE have a bunch of chickens and I want to try that ting I seen the big woman do on that Doomsday Preppers She coated them with mineral oil and they are supposed to stay good for maybe a year if I remembered right. I don 't know if I can stock a bunch up though. I really love having fresh eggs in the morning.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #105
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Viking you might want to add holes in the sides of your barrels, then plant peanuts that will grow out the side along with your taters, peanut plants add nitrogen to the soil. If any of you keep rain barrels strickly for watering your your plants, this is what I add to the barrel, old copper, zinc coated nails, rusty nails, crushed egg shells, bannana peelings, left over teabags, oak leaves.....After it has fermented for a while you can even use it to mist the leaves for a really fast pick me up.......
Are you talking about compost tea? I have wanted to try that. A friend of mine who gave me a day-long private instruction on fruit/nut trees had gone to a weekend long class on composting and compost tea brewing and it totally intrigues me. The tea (if done right) is like Miracle Gro on steroids..

Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default po man miracle grow.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Are you talking about compost tea? I have wanted to try that. A friend of mine who gave me a day-long private instruction on fruit/nut trees had gone to a weekend long class on composting and compost tea brewing and it totally intrigues me. The tea (if done right) is like Miracle Gro on steroids..
Get your self one of those big jugs that your wife buys her clothes detergent in, rinse it out. Now start adding every thing your plants like. Read the ingredients on a package of oat meal, baby formula, as long as it's not greasy. Bannana peelins, egg shells, tea leaves [tanic acid] oak leaves, nails of any kind, copper, rusted iron, the list goes on. Increase your tomato production, beans, peppers, what ever and its all organic.....when you have the dry ingredients in just add rain water and leave a vent for the gas to escape.......To make more beans, cukes, and tomatoes that don't turn red add plenty of bone meal.....Lets talk turkey....... [ cream of wheat ] add on......

Last edited by willshoum; 06-13-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: memory lost....

Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #107
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Roma and cherry tomatoes (dehydrated cherry tomatoes cut in half rock!), basil, cilantro, cukes, dill, broccoli, eggplant, peas, green beans, jalapenos, sweet peppers, horseradish and garlic this year in the beds. Strawberries and blueberries planted near the house.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #108
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
Get your self one of those big jugs that your wife buys her clothes detergent in, rinse it out. Now start adding every thing your plants like. Read the ingredients on a package of oat meal, baby formula, as long as it's not greasy. Bannana peelins, egg shells, tea leaves [tanic acid] oak leaves, nails of any kind, copper, rusted iron, the list goes on. Increase your tomato production, beans, peppers, what ever and its all organic.....when you have the dry ingredients in just add rain water and leave a vent for the gas to escape.......To make more beans, cukes, and tomatoes that don't turn red add plenty of bone meal.....Lets talk turkey....... [ cream of wheat ] add on......
Not even close to what I understand. There are different acid levels but you need to be careful of the ingredients. I won't be throwing metals into my compost pile.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #109

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Dad has green beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic, lettuce, and a bunch of peppers. Not sure what else he has planted.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #110
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Compost heap......

When I planted a large garden there was one spot that was better than the rest. It was a trash heap from years back, I pulled all sorts of metals from this one area. Every thing I planted in this one spot grew bigger and faster than the rest. Oak leaves do add acid but you can add things to neutralize the tea.. Viking, you ever use epsom salt on your pepper plants, placed in the soil or diluted with water and sprayed on the leaves......