Anybody planting a garden.... - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2118

Default To Bee or no bees......

Thanks to our local gov. and others that destroy the bee population I 'll have to resort to polinating my plants and fruit trees....... They spray for skitters in the afternoon and at night, the concoction stays on the vegatation and kills every thing but the mosquitos.......I had to help out my only two pumkins on the vine using a Q tip to polinate the flowers......Whats going to happen when the bees are gone....... Lucky for me I have wasp all around that keeps my pepper plants fruiting.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #92

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Pumpkins are expensive this year........

Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #93
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 671 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 390

@ winds-of-change: Regarding the tomatoes splitting, I always thought it was caused by uneven watering, letting the soil get dry, then soaking it. They do better with light but regular watering, keeping some moisture without getting it too wet. My tomatoes always split if I get a soaking rain when they are just about ripe. About the deer problem, I bought the cheapest perfume they had at the Dollar Store, put some in a couple of empty plastic jugs which I hung upside down on steel fence posts. They seem not to like cheap perfume!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #94
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sheep manure has no weeds they grind up the seeds I have raised sheep and cattle over 50 years.I use sheep manure in my garden

Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Hybrids.......

This is a first for me, I finaly got a jalepeno plant growing from seed that came from a hybrid. Only time will tell if all those little peppers will grow like thier parent plant. Barring root rot and voracious tomato horn worms I'm hopeing for the best......Now I'm trying tomato plants for the fall from hybrids, the rain right now is coming every day and thats not good for plants......I was able to save a few seeds from the onion patch and will start those off in the fall......I grew some red onions from those that had sprouted in the fridge, they grew twice the size from the parent onion.... Time to plant my pumpkins for the fall harvest......What say you all......

Old 06-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #96
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

Eight tomato plants for me. I love home grown tomatoes. My son planted a few hot pepper type plants.

That's all I've got. All I need is my tomatoes.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #97

Liked 124 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Only put in 3 tomato plants this year....didn't get a lot of tomato's last year so I'm not putting that many plants in this year.....

Old 06-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #98
P90

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just finished digging my Potatoes, and threw some of the little ones back, to try for some fall potatoes. Last summer, my tomatoes burned up, so this year I planted them around pieces of sewer pipe set about 2' deep. Same with the peppers. Haven't had to use them for water yet, but did give them a shot of Miracle Grow with it. Have lots of Squash and Corn. My onions didn't do very good this spring.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Fall spuds.....

Taters for seed need a rest period, if you planted to early in the heat you'll end up with rotten spuds.......check your local market for their so called fresh potatoes, they'll have sprouts and you can use these for seed in the fall. Don't expect as many new spuds vrs. spring planting..... Good luck....

Old 06-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #100
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8264 Times on 4775 Posts
Likes Given: 10681

We have a dozen or so heirloom tomatoes (Brandywine, Ace, Santa Clara Canner, a couple that I forget) three barrels of potatoes (I plant them in 55 gallon drums) a dozen or so peppers, string beans, artichokes (planted last year), blueberries and raspberries (also planted a couple of years ago) strawberries, tomatillos, cilantro, lemon cucumbers, snap peas, and on and on. There are a couple of beds that still need planting. Everything is is raised beds with composted horse manure for fertilizer (except the blueberries which get a special 4.5 ph soil but those were planted a couple of years ago).

Anybody have any neat tips or tools for gardening?

The potato in a barrel thing I learned a few years ago (may have mentioned it here). I grow them in 55 gallon barrels that have holes for drainage in the bottom. Use barrels that you know never had anything bad in them 9no oild drums or that sort of thing). I have steel drums that had India ink in them from the newspaper. Eventually when I have to replace them after they have rusted out I will use plastic food grade drums. I put about a foot of soil in the bottom of the drum and plant 4 pieces of potato in that soil. When the plants have grown to about 8" tall I bury them with more soil and continue until the soil fills the drum. After the plants have grown a foot or so above the top of the barrel I dump the barrel out to "dig" the 'taters. I use the soil for the bean patch. Potatoes deplete the nitrogen, just like tomatoes do - same family of plants- and beans are nitrogen fixers. Don't grow tomatoes, potatoes, peppers or anything in the nightshade family in the same soil for consecutive years or they will get smaller and smaller every year. Refresh the soil every year with nitrogen rich soil.