Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody planting a garden....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default Anybody planting a garden....

As kid's our dad had us tilling the garden for planting...We'd plant Vegetables like Tomatoes-Peppers-and lettuce...He would say if you want to put you feet under the kitchen table to eat,you will do chores...Now I only plant Tomatoes plants so I can have (BLT)s...There's nothing like fresh Tomatoes....Anybody else plant any kind of Garden ??....I was told chicken poo was to HOT for Fertilizer ??...use cow or horse....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I have had zero luck the last two years with tomatoes, but my jalapenos have been phenominal! This year I put in jalapenos and yellow squash. I already have peppers coming on.

Chicken manure must be composted prior to inserting into the garden. There is too much nitrogen unless it is composted down for a month or two.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

willshoum Likes This 
Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #3

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Horse manure also contains lots of weed seeds, as horses do not digest seeds the way that cattle do. Chicken manure, even when well rotted, is very concentrated and should be used sparingly.
No matter what you use, I would mix it into a compost pile. As even horse and cow manure can be a little "hot" if fresh. A little organic materal and some soil, you should be good.. (Ive lived on a ranch most of my life, and this is what we've always done..)

Ive already got my garden going, and its looking great!! (I was getting tired of what they call "produce" at the stores....)

Old 04-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #4

All store produce is tasteless and has no flavor...Even Fastfood Tomatoes are tasteless...Nothing like growing your own...

Old 04-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #5

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

In the process of getting the garden togeather now. Chicken manure has some advantages over horse or steer manure. The gullet of the bird grinds all seeds up it eats and doesn't leave trash seeds in the ground when you use it as fertilizer. You only have to fertilize with chicken manure every three years as it has good residual effects. Use it spareingly as it is "hot" and till or disc it in thouroughly and deep.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-28-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

Liked 302 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have had zero luck the last two years with tomatoes, but my jalapenos have been phenominal! This year I put in jalapenos and yellow squash. I already have peppers coming on.

Chicken manure must be composted prior to inserting into the garden. There is too much nitrogen unless it is composted down for a month or two.
Try this trick with your tomatoes. After planted in the ground let them grow to about 18" in height. Clip off the bottom 10" to 12" of stems and leaves. Dig a small trench about 3" or so deep next to the plant and lean over trimmed stalk of plant into it and bury. This part of plant will go to roots. The extra roots will enhance the water and neutrients up take of the plant and usually get you much better size and yield off the plant.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 698 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I have the tomatoes planted and the Basil is still going from last year.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:33 PM   #8

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We have lots of tomatoes, onions, peppers, squashes, and herbs planted and rockin' right along. We have a really nice big irrigated garden at our house. Fenced, too, so the deer won't eat it all up.

My wife and I live on tomato sandwiches or BLTs pretty much all summer long.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #9

BLT's are Bad Ass...I can't get a nuff of them...I eat two or three a week in the summertime myself...Bacon..Hickory Smoked Bacon..Is the Sh!t...

Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6956 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Try this trick with your tomatoes. After planted in the ground let them grow to about 18" in height. Clip off the bottom 10" to 12" of stems and leaves. Dig a small trench about 3" or so deep next to the plant and lean over trimmed stalk of plant into it and bury. This part of plant will go to roots. The extra roots will enhance the water and neutrients up take of the plant and usually get you much better size and yield off the plant.
I only grow tomatoes and my son usually puts in some habeneros.

MRM, I do a version of what you describe. I plant the plants very deep for a better root system. I love homegrown tomatoes.