Anybody here train in martial arts? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody here train in martial arts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
First off,good luck on the test. And secondly,thanks for the advice. I don't think I want to quit serious lifting altogether,but I may just tone it down and start back running again. When I was in the process of loosing the weight I was running 3 miles and walking one every night,it seemed like I could run forever at one point if I paced myself. After I found out I would not be able to serve our country (the reason I lost the weight) I completely switched directions,dropped the cardio,and started packing on the muscle. It's been a while since I've ran but you do get a unique high from a good run,I doubt my cardio is still on point like it was though. As for yoga,I've actually thought about getting some pointers on stretching,as all the lifting has caused some discomfort in my shoulders and I've started swimming after shoulder days to loosen them up and keep them from getting to tight and hurting in the mornings.

I think boxing may help with the shoulder pain as well as putting some pep in my step when it comes to working out,or it could also make it worse. I'm not sure which way it will go,but it seems like a fun endeavor. Plus,with friends that train it would be nice to have some techinique in something when we get real bored and put on the sock'em boppers and hulk hands lol. And I've always wanted some self defense training as well,and since we don't have any combat arts gyms like systema or krav maga or aikido,boxing or mma would be the next best thing. I know I sound like I'm just trying to convince myself but I'm just looking for someone to validate my reasoning,or to say "yea man,I got burnt out to and started training and it's rightous bro" lol
Thanks man!

If i could, i would counsel away from running, its hard on the joints and other systems of the body. It also (altho i DO NOT KNOW for sure) sounds like your over training. I am not counselling you away from resistance training, just a different way of going about it.

The high you speak of is endorphin release.

Its funny, i spent my late teens and early twenties wasting time and energy searching for the bigger better buzz....always scoffed at "tofu eating freaks" and their Yoga. Until i, on a whim (needed the credits) took a Yoga class. Its an AWESOME buzz from pure oxygen!!

Also, for your soreness, may i suggest a certified massage therapist. After a good hard training session, it will be great for removing the built up lactic acid. The REASON for your soreness. (my major is therapeutic massage)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 06-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #12

Liked 57 Times on 32 Posts

I train in Roman Legion comatatives. Its a hell of a work out. Its like krav magra but a bit more agressive. Pretty much the style of fighting that they teach military.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #13

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Like FMJ said, running is high impact and tough on the joints. Lifting, as well as running can do more harm than good in the long run. Both are not activities the human body evolved to accommodate...fat storage however is a different story, we're fat storage machines, it's the reason we're here today.

+1 on the yoga suggestion, I thought the same thing about it myself...that it was for a bunch of foo foo soccer Moms and metrosexuals...'til I tried it... Mad kudos to those that keep THAT routine.

For your joint pain, may I suggest glucosamine/chondroitin...It helps rebuild/maintain cartilage and connective tissue. I had terrible elbow problems after heavy lifting sessions, so much that I could barely make a fist without mucho pain. You can get it at most any supermarket, GNC (of course). It's not as expensive as it used to be for whatever reason. It does take 30 days or so to start working but once it does, you'll feel great.

Also you might want to supplement your diet with good 'ole vitamin C. IMHO the best antioxidant there is, which will limit, but not prevent, muscle soreness. Plus all the other benefits it offers.

Put very simply, if you have to force yourself to do something, you won't be doing it for long.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by vincent; 06-26-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #14

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

On the matter of glucosamine/chondroiten, try to find just the regular supplements. Osteo biflex is ridiculously over priced and it's those two ingredients that are the important part. You can sometimes find them in the supplement section at Walmart for less than half the price of osteo biflex.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #15

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Ive been in martial arts 25 years give or take as for what is the best in cardio is up to the form you like to learn.

As for the cardio it's self ever tried high intensity interval cardio training?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #16

Liked 813 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 249

When I noticed my belly getting bigger I started in martial arts. An excellent choice. I did it for many years( and my sons).

Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I don't have the stamina for Martial Arts at the age of 65. So I just remember, quite instinctively, the middle path down the human anatomy,
where all sensitive pressure points are located (eyes, nose, throat, solar plexus, and groin), which can drop a man of any size or weight.
(However, and ironically, I am still active in boxing and basketball).

Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I've been training/teaching martial arts for over 30 years. It can be a great workout.

It appears that you have a pretty clear idea of what you want. Every instructor is a bit different, so you can't pick one style and then go look for a school that teaches it. Visit some schools in your area and see for yourself whether the class is something you would like.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs
hiwall Likes This 
Old 06-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #19

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Squid
Ive been in martial arts 25 years give or take as for what is the best in cardio is up to the form you like to learn.

As for the cardio it's self ever tried high intensity interval cardio training?
I have not, I'm thinking it's something along the lines of p90x or insanity? Closest thing I've came to a HIIT workout is one of my arm routines I do,it's a seven excercise circuit done with higher reps in rapid succession,kind of like a Huuuuge superset with 120 second rests between each set.

I've looked into kenpo and it looks great,but.... No kenpo gyms anywhere around here,we do have aikido dojo but I'm kind of sceptical about the real world application of it and how long it would take to get adequate in it,it does look super cool being done. Also have looked into chines boxing which is interesting,my buddy who trains and fights MMA seems to think I would take to mui tai well due to the way I'm built and my large upper body,I want to do something that will build confidence and have real world applications in self defense,something a little more than just plain jane strikes... I would like to maybe learn some counters or throws. I've looked into krav maga as. Well,but when I see videos of it being done it looks sloppy like something someone would do instinctually,maybe I'm wrong though.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #20

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Jstrong, you should look into taking shotakhan under Jimmy Blan. He's near your area, a great teacher, and an all around great guy. Also, that form of martial arts would be a great fit for your body type.