Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody here train in martial arts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 223 Times on 139 Posts

Default Anybody here train in martial arts?

Recently I've been loosing motivation to be in the gym and lift heavy,the whole process of stuffing chicken breast and deli sliced turkey down your throat while washing it down with protein shakes to insure you get the maximum benefit of your workout has grown tiring. If anybody has any pointers on how to stay motivated to be in the gym then please feel free to share.

But in the midst of the constant battle of deciding the ultimate question of "to gym,or not to gym?" on a day to day basis,I've kind of been kicking around the idea of joining up one of the local martial arts gyms. It seems fun,and both of my best friends who train tell me I'll love it. Boxing in particular draws my interests,and the lone boxing gym in town really only focuses on cardio and training,with some sparring here and there and the occasional amateur fight,which is really as far as I would take it anyways. So anybody who does martial arts feel free to chime in,I'm a big guy... 6 foot and 240 lbs,much of which is muscle,and I want to cut down a few pounds now that I've put on the muscle mass I want. Would boxing,kickboxing,or other mixed martial arts be a good idea to keep me in shape if I have wavering motivation to lift weights? Or do I not know what I would be getting myself into?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1076 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Try p90x . It's doing great things for my friend

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1
Try p90x . It's doing great things for my friend
P90x definantly works,but I cut 88 pounds of fat the hard way before and jumping up and down for an hour doesn't appeal to me. I want something fun,something that I can look forward to going to every time,and weightlifting just isn't cutting it anymore. Nothing against p90x,but the only thing fun about it is seeing the results as quick as they come from what I have heard.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

I trained in a variety of martial arts for 15 years. Yes it will keep you in shape and give you confidence etc. but you aren't going to get ripped doing it. If you're looking to stay in shape and do something interesting and always be learning then go for it. You won't regret martial arts.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
I trained in a variety of martial arts for 15 years. Yes it will keep you in shape and give you confidence etc. but you aren't going to get ripped doing it. If you're looking to stay in shape and do something interesting and always be learning then go for it. You won't regret martial arts.
I'm not looking to get ripped,as the amount of loose skin around my midsection due to the large amount of weight I lost in a short time period would prohibit any kind of definition where it counts. Some people say it will tighten up,but it still hasn't after a year. That sounds like what I'm looking for,Something challenging and exciting at the same time,plus according to a buddy of mine he says it would be a healthy place to take out my frustrations,he says he feels like a different persons after he leaves training.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Absolutely a good place to relieve frustration. Pounding on bags and sparring is great. Weapons training is fun too.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

From a certified personal trainer (in training take my certification test next month, (Wish me luck, its a tough course, i had to unlearn a LOT of what i "thought" i knew about fitness) it sounds like you flat out burnt yourself out.

Having seen a couple pictures of your muscle bound self May i suggest Yoga. DO NOT laugh. Once you get into it, i will bet you will LOVE it! I know i laughed but now LOVE IT! Also, i would suggest cutting back on the weight training to 2 or 3 days a week, basically just to give yourself a break from that routine. Doing more reps at a lighter weight. But not quiting it altogether. Adding in martial arts training...Ju-jitsu or other discipline, take your pick, there are too many to list, would be the way to go. But adding any type of cardio to your routine will be helpful.

I dunno, most of my suggestions are really just guesses from what limited info i have of your overall fitness goals, fitness level at this point, overall health, etc etc.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj
From a certified personal trainer (in training take my certification test next month, (Wish me luck, its a tough course, i had to unlearn a LOT of what i "thought" i knew about fitness) it sounds like you flat out burnt yourself out.

Having seen a couple pictures of your muscle bound self May i suggest Yoga. DO NOT laugh. Once you get into it, i will bet you will LOVE it! I know i laughed but now LOVE IT! Also, i would suggest cutting back on the weight training to 2 or 3 days a week, basically just to give yourself a break from that routine. Doing more reps at a lighter weight. But not quiting it altogether. Adding in martial arts training...Ju-jitsu or other discipline, take your pick, there are too many to list, would be the way to go. But adding any type of cardio to your routine will be helpful.

I dunno, most of my suggestions are really just guesses from what limited info i have of your overall fitness goals, fitness level at this point, overall health, etc etc.
First off,good luck on the test. And secondly,thanks for the advice. I don't think I want to quit serious lifting altogether,but I may just tone it down and start back running again. When I was in the process of loosing the weight I was running 3 miles and walking one every night,it seemed like I could run forever at one point if I paced myself. After I found out I would not be able to serve our country (the reason I lost the weight) I completely switched directions,dropped the cardio,and started packing on the muscle. It's been a while since I've ran but you do get a unique high from a good run,I doubt my cardio is still on point like it was though. As for yoga,I've actually thought about getting some pointers on stretching,as all the lifting has caused some discomfort in my shoulders and I've started swimming after shoulder days to loosen them up and keep them from getting to tight and hurting in the mornings.

I think boxing may help with the shoulder pain as well as putting some pep in my step when it comes to working out,or it could also make it worse. I'm not sure which way it will go,but it seems like a fun endeavor. Plus,with friends that train it would be nice to have some techinique in something when we get real bored and put on the sock'em boppers and hulk hands lol. And I've always wanted some self defense training as well,and since we don't have any combat arts gyms like systema or krav maga or aikido,boxing or mma would be the next best thing. I know I sound like I'm just trying to convince myself but I'm just looking for someone to validate my reasoning,or to say "yea man,I got burnt out to and started training and it's rightous bro" lol

Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I would recommend kenpo.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I started judo at age 7 got bored with grappling in my early teens and moved on to shotokan karate. It really helped me build confidence and discipline.

For me now it's a way to stay in shape, stay sharp, and I've made many good friends over the years.

I'd recommend it for anyone at any age.