Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody Here Into Krav Maga?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Anybody Here Into Krav Maga?

I'm getting out of shape, pushing sixty and was thinking about pursuing the study of Krav Maga. Do any of you gents practice it, and if so, please tell me a bit about what you like or dislike about it?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 05-30-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have not done it, Heck never heard of it untill you posted it. I googled it and now I want to do it

So someone has to post up that has done or is doing it cause now I am curious.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've known alot of people who do krav. Being in the martial arts you get to know all sorts,lol.
Krav can be a great art or it can suck depending on how it is trained.

I think more than style, the way you train is important.

That is dependant on why you want to train. If getting in shape is your goal, just get p90x and do it.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't just want to get back in shape, I want the street, or more practical aspects of self defense without a lot of ritual. It seems to me that Krav Maga can provide that. I don't plan on competition or any of that stuff. I want to stay alive.

I'm pushing sixty and I work in the 'hood and I'm in California, so I can't carry a firearm. I work with meth heads, crankster gangsters, parolees and guys on probation daily. Sometimes it can be pretty scary.

We'll be moving out of state at some point. (hopefully by Fall) But for right now, self preservation and practical skills are what I'm seeking. When I was younger, I was a carpenter and considerably more strong and powerful. Usually, that was enough. Those days are behind me now.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I don't just want to get back in shape, I want the street, or more practical aspects of self defense without a lot of ritual. It seems to me that Krav Maga can provide that. I don't plan on competition or any of that stuff. I want to stay alive.

I'm pushing sixty and I work in the 'hood and I'm in California, so I can't carry a firearm. I work with meth heads, crankster gangsters, parolees and guys on probation daily. Sometimes it can be pretty scary.

We'll be moving out of state at some point. (hopefully by Fall) But for right now, self preservation and practical skills are what I'm seeking. When I was younger, I was a carpenter and considerably more strong and powerful. Usually, that was enough. Those days are behind me now.
Krav can definitely get you back in fighting shape. I'm 49 and my wife is 55 we both attend class here in Colorado Springs. I have practiced TMA in years past, and find that Krav Maga is simple to learn and based on the idea that there are instinctive movements the body makes under stress and capitalizes on those movements.
Daily "practice" using bodyweight exercise and kettlebell is a good compliment to the instruction.

Oh and BTW, we have a member of our class who is 75, and the guy kicks some serious a$$. I pity the idiot who attacks him.

Last edited by Kishido; 05-30-2009 at 06:00 PM.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #6

I started taking Krav lessons about three weeks ago, at 50, it's a workout. Well worth the money though. So far the lessons are pretty simple exercises that have a practical point to them. White grade is mainly to get you in shape and teach basics. Then you move on. We have people in upper grades that train with us, so, we get some of thier knowledge as well.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Last edited by dukech1; 05-30-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys. I think I definitely going to pursue it. The nearest school has a "Try it for two weeks free" coupon. It seems like that should be enough to give me a pretty good idea if I want to stick with it or not.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:10 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Krav CAN give you the tools to provide those, but it's up to the individual to do the work. The art, no matter what is is is only as good as its practitioner.

Quote:

There are no shortcuts. If you're planning on leaving in the fall just go to a boxing school and learn good hand skills. Like I said, there are no shortcuts.

What kind of self defense tools can you carry?

Old 05-31-2009, 01:28 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If I start to study it, I plan on continuing after we move as well.

As far as what weapons I can carry, this is California. I have a Benchmade knife that is my EDC and a sharp wit.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
If I start to study it, I plan on continuing after we move as well.

As far as what weapons I can carry, this is California. I have a Benchmade knife that is my EDC and a sharp wit.
Then I'd say go for it. Sounds like your mind is made up anyhoo,lol.

I do like the fact that they utilize weapons in theeir training. Not enough of that imo in most styles.