Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Anybody have hobbies other than Firearms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Now THAT is truly an awesome hobby, dave! No 'Time, gentlemen' to contend with...no arsehole bouncers lol

I think everybody (that can) would drink to that

Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Some people say I've got way too many hobbies. Being a chronic insomniac has it's advantages, my days are just longer!

My main addiction has to be knives and anything to do with them (buying them, selling them, using them, reading or writing about them). I just love them. I'm not a true collector, since I couldn't leave a knife mint if my life depended on it. I love playing with them, sharpening them and modifying them.

I also breed horses with my dad, I used to do it for a living (polo and endurance horses), but I enjoy it more know. I can focus on my favourite horses (percherons postier) without having to worry about customers. I love taking long trips through the mountains on my horses, without seeing another human being for ten days or so.

I enjoy anything outdoorsy, but bushcrafting and practicing primitive skills is a favourite of mine (I'm a historian/anthropologist after all!). I carry a lighter, but I like starting my camp fires with flint and steel or a bowdrill just for kicks. I can spend hours making cordage or just whittling spoons and cups, a lot more fun than just reaching in my pack for paracord and my titanium mug! Hunting, fishing, hiking, I'll do about anything that allows me to get out and play in the woods.

Since July 2008 I've been training MMA and loving it, it's the first time that I've enjoyed any sort of fitness training so much. I even put together a gym at my house to train when my academy's gym is closed. MMA has also made me a better outdoorsman, I can walk longer, carrying more weight, without getting tired. I enjoy the mountains a lot more now that I'm not gasping for air after walking for five minutes.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I'm into woodworking and beer

Old 01-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Computers
Fishing
Guns
Guns
Old cars
Guns
Guns

Oh and did I mention Guns.

Shooting my guns
Teaching my kids about guns
Teaching others about guns

Posting pictures calling people douch bags or stupid.
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns
Guns

Old 01-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #15

My other Hobby is Flying Radio Controlled Airplanes.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #16

I'm very involved with an animal rescue organization. I help abandoned or hurt animals, and if I have room I keep them, or if not, I foster them until the organization can find them a permanent home.

I also homeschool my two children, so we are always busy with that. And I help my husband with his business, mostly marketing and bookkeeping.

Well, and home defense, also. Everyday, hubs and I sit at our computers and look at guns we think we'd like, or different security systems, etc. I'd say that takes up a lot of our time.

Last edited by themyst; 01-02-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

LOL at Tango.

Fishing
Camping
My truck
Models (die-cast motor models)

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 01-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #18

I have kids so that typically means full time all the time. But I like to do things that will enable me to provide for them in the event of a cutoff or breakdown of society. Typically that means using primitive skills to maintain the homestead. To that extent I like to go trapping, I work the gardens and food plots during the spring through to harvest, Hunting, hide tanning, wheelin w/ the ATV's (not primitive but boy it's FUN), building deer blinds and defense positions, maintaining my root cellar, and just overall providing that true American homestead way of life.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 01-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #19

i do photography

Old 01-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
How big is that thing? The plane, man, the plane......

I actually got into guns more because I couldn't do my first hobby while living away from my parents garage, restoring cars. I've been working on old Mustangs since I was 13 when I bought my first one. Since then I've done 3 Triumph Spitfires, a partial on a 66 Mustand and helped finish my dad's 65 coupe,
Attachment 9340

Attachment 9341

Yes gents, that's a blower. Supercharged 331 with AFR heads, right at 600hp in the configuration shown here. It's been out since that picture and is getting ready to go back in. With the help of some valley girdles we should get some more power out of it.
My current project is a 67 Mustang fastback that is just about ready for paint.

Other then then, I like to hunt, exercise, sing, spend time with my wife and I'm getting into machining and tig welding.

It's a big bird, with a 50cc chainsaw engine slinging a 23" prop. My other "hobby" is cars too... but I build them from plans. This is my scratch-built 23 T Bucket.
mftbucket.jpg