Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Anybody eat fish? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/anybody-eat-fish-32428/)

dunerunner 09-30-2010 03:29 PM

Anybody eat fish?

You might want to look at this before buying anything from your local groceries seafood display. Buy US line caught or US farmed fish!!

Something's fishy

Jo da Plumbr 09-30-2010 03:57 PM

I only eat what I catch. And who knows how safe that is.

stalkingbear 09-30-2010 03:58 PM

I couldn't tell what they were saying because the sound is messed up on this old computer. Would you mind telling us what's being said in the condensed version?

dunerunner 09-30-2010 04:07 PM

60 to 80 percent of the fish sold in markets comes from Thailand, China and other foreign countries. Less than 1% is tested by the FDA.

The Alabama Department of Agriculture has found staggering amounts of cancer causing chemicals, antibiotics, veterinary drugs and other substances in foreign raised fish. Evidence indicates some fish farms raise their product in sewage ponds!!

Ask where the fish comes from before you buy it!

Dillinger 09-30-2010 04:09 PM

Basically some folks are surprised that a lot of seafood is coming into the country because it's cheaper. Duh.

As much as 80% of the OTC seafood for sale in supermarkets is from "developing" nations ( China, Indonesia, Costa Rica as examples ).

Of the estimated 80% of that fish above, less than 1% of it is inspected by the FDA when it comes into the country. Of that 1%, there is a litany of problems found ( chemicals, toxins, etc. ) which results in those loads of fish being rejected from the US market.

Malachite Green, a cancer causing agent that is not allowed in the US, is being found in a lot of the fish that has been tested by the State of Alabama ( where the story originates ).

Basically the overseas import fish is cheaper, more dangerous to your health and by purchasing it, you are hurting American fish farmers.

skullcrusher 09-30-2010 04:26 PM

Yet another reason I don't eat fish except for the once a year fresh walleye fillet.

RairWeatherSmok 09-30-2010 05:18 PM

The seafood sections in this area ALWAYS list the origin. IF it isn't USA product, I don't buy it. AND yes, the USA stuff costs more !! AND the live crawfish come from Beaumont or Louisiana swamp !!

Biohazard2 09-30-2010 06:52 PM

Malachite Green, a cancer causing agent that is not allowed in the US, is being found in a lot of the fish that has been tested by the State of Alabama ( where the story originates ).

Malachite Green IS used in the U.S. for the treatment of sick fish.
Can be bought at most fish stores.

Dillinger 09-30-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biohazard2 (Post 360510)

Malachite Green IS used in the U.S. for the treatment of sick fish.
Can be bought at most fish stores.

Huh. Well, in the video it says that it is a cancer causing agent and is not allowed in food ( About 1:45 in ). I was typing from memory of watching the video the first time.

My apologies.

dog2000tj 09-30-2010 08:30 PM

So what are you saying, I should stop eating goldfish from the tank? :confused: