Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any of you TX guys been to any storage unit auctions lately? Soldier lost stuff.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5640 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 4741

Default Any of you TX guys been to any storage unit auctions lately? Soldier lost stuff.

Soldier returns to from tour of duty overseas to find his belongings sold by storage company - 12/10/09 - Houston News - abc13.com

ALVIN, TX (KTRK) -- A US soldier, fresh from a tour of duty overseas, comes home to find his personal belongings gone, not stolen, but auctioned off. That soldier had stored his property in a local storage unit while serving our country. When he returned, he got some heartbreaking news.

It's a good reminder to keep tabs on your stuff, no matter where in the world you are. Sgt. Robert Andrews paid $35 a month to keep his belongings safe at a storage unit while he was deployed. But when he came back this week, he learned it was all gone.

"Twenty-two years of military service, gone," said Sgt. Andrews. "What do you do about that?"

Sgt. Andrews left for a tour of duty in 2006. Forced to leave behind his belongings, he packed them away at Affordable Storage in Alvin.

He said, "My card had been constantly billed up until September of this year."

In September, Sgt. Andrews' credit card was declined. He says Wells Fargo froze his account due to a fraud alert. Days later, Sgt. Andrews says his account was back up and charges went through -- charges except for perhaps the most important one.

"We don't get rid of their stuff just to get rid of it," said storage manager Richard Gonzalez.

Gonzalez says tenants sign a lease agreeing to pay and update changes of address or phone number. There is specific mention of military tenants.

When they got no response from Sgt. Andrews after sending a certified letter, they sold his priceless treasures all for $35.

Gonzalez said, "As long as I can reach him, and I can talk to him, we make arrangements."

"I would say (it was) at least $10,000 worth of stuff, easy," estimated Sgt. Andrews.

The storage unit manager says he holds auctions about three times a year. He says in this case there is no way for Sgt. Andrews to get his stuff back or to be compensated for it.

(Copyright ©2009 KTRK-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

I know "business is business" and all, but this sucks. If any of you TX peeps know anybody who frequents these types of auctions in that area, maybe you could send them a link to this story.

This is some WEAKSAUCE in my opinion.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is a crime....PERIOD!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #3

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Wonder if the storage unit manager knew the guy was overseas in the military....? Is it possible that he didn't?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$35???? I'm going to storage auctions from now on...

Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That really bites

I've never trusted storage units, after my bro-in-law and sis had all their belongings stolen from the adjacent unit. Someone rented the unit next to their's, or just went in to the empty unit, and tore out the wall. They lost everything, and when the cops viewed the video tapes with the manager of the units, the crew that was on duty at the units said they "assumed" the people were just going into their own unit and taking their things home

I feel sorry for that guy, specially when you are looking forward to coming home to your stuff.

I wonder if anyone will come forward after hearing about his story?

Slo

Old 12-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It won't help get his stuff back, but he can file against the storage company. That was in violation of the Soldiers and Sailors relief act. And, if the last payment was in Aug or September, they may also be in violation of TX law. That was awfully fast to sell the locker after the "default".

Also, arould here, there is a "group" that does most of the storage locker sales. If the "buyer" was a regular, and a "good guy", the soldier may be able to contact the buyer through the auctioneer and may be able to get some of his stuff back.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 12-12-2009, 01:53 AM   #7
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5640 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 4741

I hope the Armed Forces boycott that storage unit jerk (along with everybody else).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 12-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #8

I agree that it sucks if the storage guy knew the renter was in the military, but what if he didn't? The article doesn't clarify that.

The storage guy is a businessman and the deadbeats need to go. Now, if he knew the renter was out of the country defending us, that's a different story...but we don't know that, from what I can tell.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #9

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I agree that it sucks if the storage guy knew the renter was in the military, but what if he didn't? The article doesn't clarify that.

The storage guy is a businessman and the deadbeats need to go. Now, if he knew the renter was out of the country defending us, that's a different story...but we don't know that, from what I can tell.
Lonyaeger,

That’s true, but if his (military member) only default was from September on then that’s real quick for posting and having a auction. The law in Texas is pretty clear that you can’t just sell everything after one month or even two missed rents. Also I go to storage shed auctions with my father-in-law and I have only seen a complete shed sold for $35 when there was almost nothing in it or what you could see was junk. There must be more to it then what the article says or the storage shed owner/manager may be liable.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #10

It looks like possibly up to three months passed between the first missed payment and the auction.

Agreed, not enough information here.