Any watch aficionados? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any watch aficionados?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
OP, what is the thing with the Seiko black monster & the gray market?
I'm new to watch collecting so I'm not going to pretend like I'm an expert, and there might be more to this that someone else knows about, if so, chime in.
But in a nutshell, buying grey market is essentially buying from a non authorized dealer, which is fine for the most part, but you'll get a warranty through the seller and not the manufacturer. Not bad if you do your research on the seller before hand, but if you're buying say a $10,000 Rolex, theres a good chance Rolex won't repair the watch.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 08-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #12

Liked 1983 Times on 1259 Posts
Likes Given: 1080

I like watches with screwed on bezel like the Audemars Royal Oak series or Hublot Big Bangs.
Unfortunately, I'm not quite at a position, financially, to own either at $17,000 and $25,000, respectively.
What's a handy guy do?
Mod an existing watch, of course.
I chose a watch, collected a few special tools and hardware and Voila!
My very own screw bezel watch!
What do you think?

File Type: jpg AP - SteelWhiteTap_Lg.jpg (31.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg hublot-1.jpg (31.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1399115607000.jpg (29.7 KB, 19 views)

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #13

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
My everyday wear is a self winding stainless Seiko that is older than a LOT of the members here. By self-winding I mean there is nothing electrical in it. It has weights, gears, springs.

My dress watch my lady bought for me 20 years ago. 17 jewel, 10K Hamilton.

Have you noticed how few of the youngsters wear a watch today- relying instead on their phone?
You got one of them new fangdangled self winding ones??!! I still have to wind mine by hand...

Old 08-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Best watch ive had was an old indiglo timex i used in the army. Had to keep it in my pocket. Cant wear jewelry which is why ive never bought a really nice watch and no one makes a really nice pocketwatch anymore as ive seen.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 08-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #15
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7141 Times on 4298 Posts
Likes Given: 8669

I just recently bought a watch half price in the hospital gift shop. It is a cheapie with a snap wrist band that has studs on it and crystals (or glass) around the face. Sparkly. LOL And it has every number on it which hospital people like.........and a second hand. It needed a new battery so they are putting one in for me. I have been wearing a Fitbit on my left wrist and have been noticing I keep looking at it for the time. I figured it was time for a watch, which I haven't worn in years and years.

Actually, this is the watch. I found this picture on line. But mine is just the middle band. Apparently it comes with extra bands to go around one's wrist a couple times. Mind didn't have the extra bands, which is probably why it was half price. Heck, at $9, it was a deal. LOL I know you guys are talking fine watches. I just wanted to talk about my very cheap watch. It's okay to ignore me.

File Type: jpg watch.jpg (31.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by winds-of-change; 08-09-2014 at 02:40 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #16

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 637

boatme, that's a $5K watch all day long! LOL

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Best watch ive had was an old indiglo timex i used in the army. Had to keep it in my pocket. Cant wear jewelry which is why ive never bought a really nice watch and no one makes a really nice pocketwatch anymore as ive seen.
Jon, my pocket watch was bought for me by my youngest stepdaughter and my ex-wife many years ago at a jewelry store.

you might try some fine jewelry stores that also carry nice watches and you might find one. i nice pocket watch like a nice wristwatch isn't cheap. mine with the 18k gold chain is probably in the $600 range.