Any watch aficionados?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Any watch aficionados?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4701 Times on 2344 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Default Any watch aficionados?

Anyone here into watches? Let's see em!

I just started developing this watch habit out of the blue...I don't know why but I think my money doesn't like being around me or something...

So I just ordered the Seiko "Black Monster", off of the grey market, and am excited to see it.

Now I'm really digging the Victorinox Alpnach, but might be swayed by a nice Hamilton or Sinn....

Anyone else here have a love of watches? Post 'em up.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10729 Times on 4644 Posts
Likes Given: 1745

My everyday wear is a self winding stainless Seiko that is older than a LOT of the members here. By self-winding I mean there is nothing electrical in it. It has weights, gears, springs.

My dress watch my lady bought for me 20 years ago. 17 jewel, 10K Hamilton.

Have you noticed how few of the youngsters wear a watch today- relying instead on their phone?
People Like This 
Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #3

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I bought a pretty cool Fossil watch from Macy's about 3 years ago and damn this watch is still going... I am so shocked that this thing is still kicking. The band is black stainless steel and is starting to wear away but the it looks even cooler with the silver bleeding through. The watch face doesn't have any cracks or nothing at all despite being knocked against steel doors and all kinds of stuff in the life of it. I wear it every day. It was $125 and worth every penny.

Plot twist: Brags about how good watch is, breaks the next day... <-- My luck

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...
Mosin Likes This 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #4

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

I have not owned & worn a watch in probably 20 years. I look at clocks and my phone. I HAVE, however, developed an interest in clocks. The clock inserts I use are small, about watch size. I point you to my avatar for the first one I made, and here is a photo of the last one.
File Type: jpg IMG_0101.jpg (33.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0102.jpg (32.9 KB, 43 views)
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.
People Like This 
Old 08-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #5

Liked 2119 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Here are a few. Bad pics, I know.
I have about 24 right now. Both a Black and Orange Monster, a few other Seikos, Tissots, Marathon GSAR diver, Zeno Flieger, Fortis GMT, a 1946 gold Doxa dresser, and a few others I don't remember the names of, right now.
File Type: jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1378316699000.jpg (16.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1378316807000.jpg (31.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1393569849000.jpg (28.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg th_DSCN04730014.jpg (5.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg th_DSCN0085.jpg (3.4 KB, 39 views)
People Like This 
Old 08-08-2014, 04:03 AM   #6

Liked 431 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have 5 watches at the moment, 3 Timex's(a pre-"indiglo" Ironman triathalon, an old battery calendar analog, & an old calendar mechanical analog) , 1 Relic automatic skeleton, & 1 no name analog watch I've had for about 10 years & still keeps perfect time.

the Timex triathalon I got for a Christmas present nearly 21 years ago. I wore it every day from age 12 to about 26. when I was 16, I rolled a car & the car rolled over my arm (and watch) which tore the watch off my arm & crushed the muscles in my forearm. the watch suffered a broken band...that's it. I however couldn't make a fist for a month. I finally retired it from daily service a few years back after most of the paint had worn off & a couple buttons became nearly impossible to push without fully disassembly of the watch. but to this day it keeps perfect time.

that whole "takes a lickin & keeps on tickin" slogan? i have first hand experience that's true
Old 08-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #7

Liked 2483 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 568

I have an old Seiko self winding dive watch. I need to get it worked on because it got to where it was gaining time. I've been wearing a Casio G-Shock since I had to take off the Seiko.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #8

Liked 130 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My daily wear is a '05 two tone Submariner and my backup is a Tag two tone Links quartz

Any watch aficionados? - The Club House

Any watch aficionados? - The Club House

Have a few others; Elgins, eco-drives, etc but haven't worn them in years. Pretty much stick the subby and switch to the Tag when I send the subby in for service once every 5 years or so.
People Like This 
Old 08-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i use to have some nice watches in the past, but i am down to just three nice ones now. a Seiko, a Citizen and a Thomas pocket watch.

with work, i would buy those $7-11 cheap watches at WalMart. if they lasted six months, then i figured i got my money's worth out of them.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #10

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

OP, what is the thing with the Seiko black monster & the gray market? It's been mentioned twice here. I don't understand... For the most part, watches don't interest me at all. But one that does? Waltham Watch railroad watches. Cool, old school pocket watches. They were made locally, and as a matter of fact, the original was made by a company in NH. Waltham Watch bought the company when they couldn't make a go of it. Either way, the nice ones are worth pretty good money...
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.