Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any vegans or vegetarians here?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20837 Times on 11848 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

i think it's a lifestyle and personal choice. personally i like meat and vegatables. those who chose to not eat meat anymore have just made a different choice in their diet. nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I can only speak for myself, but veganism is MUCH more than just a diet. It involves every aspect of my life.

I am an animal (and human) rights activist.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #23

Liked 702 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 1693

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedAndVegan View Post
I know we are likely few and far between, but I would love to know if there are other people out there with vegan or vegetarian lifestyle?

Please, respectful conversation only.
While I will, on occasion, eat a vegetarian meal, I don't make it a habit. And even the vegetarian meals might have dairy or eggs.
Homo Sapiens is an omnivorous species. We have teeth evolved for cutting meat, as well as teeth for chewing plant matter. Our digestive system is not designed for a vegan diet, nor does such a diet provide all the nutrition our bodies need.
That said, if that's the way you swing, who am I to judge? My Mom was vegetarian, after all. Just don't expect to convert me, I like pulled pork and bacon WAY too much!

"Well, we're all victims of our own gene pool. Someone must have peed in yours." - Walter Bishop, from Fringe.

"Then tell me this: Why would you want to hang around people that get uncomfortable, or even scared, about that kind of thing?" "Maybe to feel normal," I said. He laughed. "Normal's not all it's cracked up to be." "You think?" "Hell, I know." - from Spirits In The Wires, by Charles de Lint.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I disagree.

Our teeth are closer to a herbivore than a carnivore (especially the side to side jaw movement, grinding like a cow), and all mammals have canines. Our digestive system is long and slow, like an herbivore. Animals that eat lots of meat push it through their system fast to avoid rotting and toxin absorption. My system thrives on plant foods. I also get all the nutrition I need, and am healthier than I was before.

My stomach issues are cured, my blood pressure is excellent instead of high, I have more energy and sexual stamina. It is a myth that you need to eat animals to be healthy. I see no need to filter my nutrients through another being, that seems inefficient to me.

I don't expect to convert anyone, I am just trying to find like-minded people. Have a good one!

Old 01-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8044 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedAndVegan View Post
What made you start going to McDonalds? Ease?

Luckily there are all sorts of vegan and vegetarian products out there that are quick and easy nowadays, and they get better in quality all the time.

My wife and I eat burritos and burgers and nachos and casserole and pasta and sloppy joes and veggies and fruit and ice cream and yogurt and chips and cookies and stir frys and chili and nuts and cake and pizza and......

I love the all veggie sub from Subway, on roasted garlic bread. The Veggie Grill is a quality vegan chain that is popping up more and more. The Seattle area and UW campus have GREAT vegan restaurants, luckily.

US meat and dairy consumption is down recently (HOORAY!!!) and up to 2% of the population related as vegan. It is a great lifestyle if you wish to aid the planet and every being on it. I am happier and healthier than I ever was in my 30 years of voracious meat consumption.

Thank you all for your input, and have a great 2013!
I am not selective in what I eat insofar as meat/plants but I am very careful to stay away from anything that is processed or manufactured food. Sort of a quasi-Paleo diet if you will. There was a thread in the Bunker on the Paleo Diet that was helpful to me in making food choices, specifically pointing out the amount of gluten and casein (milk proteins) that are in the typical diet and the importance of reducing or even eliminating them if you can (for some people- such as Robb Wolf who is something of an authority on the Paleo diet- eliminating gluten and casein is essential).

In my opinion it is the processed food that is the real poison in out diets. This includes a lot of food that is vegan or vegetarian. If you consider the amount of soy that is used in making these foods you must consider that the soy is highly processed in order to be so "versatile". My approach is to eat things that don't have ingredient labels first (in order to have a label, it must be packaged). Next would be avoiding the foods that have labels with long lists of ingredients, and next would be avoiding labels with ingredients that I "cannot pronounce", meaning a list of chemical ingredients that are included to stabilize shelf life, color, etc., etc, but contribute no nutritional or food value whatsoever. If you think about it food has only so much time inside your body for your digestive tract to extract the necessary nutrients (along with the unnecessary ingredients that hitchhike along and may actually be harmful to your body) and the preservatives that are included in, say, a Twinkie may be preventing the body from getting the maximum value out of the food (what little there might be in a Twinkie).

In short, I eat game meat when I can, we grow some of our food ourselves and when shopping the grocery store we stay on the outside edges of the store where the more perishable (read: less preservatives) foods are displayed. We never eat at fast food joints these days.

One word of caution, please don't let your diet become a "bone of contention" around here (I am not trying to be provocative in using that term, so please take no offense). As you said in your original post; respect.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #26

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Top 10 reasons I don't eat meat:

1 - Over 2/3 of the rain forest land that is cleared is used for beef production; mainly for American fast-food restaurants.
2 - One acre of land will yield an average of 165 pounds of beef per year, but over 13,000 pounds of potatoes.
3 - Most cattle are raised in feed lots; not on open range. Conditions are so deplorable that they often stand knee-deep in their own waste and can't even fall over if they get sick or die.
4 - Because of the filthy conditions they are raised in, cattle receive massive doses of antibiotics. Ingesting meat from these animals is helping antibiotics to become less effective in humans.
5 - Because of all the growth hormones cattle receive, children who eat meat are reaching puberty earlier; sometimes as early as age 7 or 8.
6 - I could tell a very disgusting story about a person who ate pork all his life. One day he had trouble breathing and went to the ER. Suffice to say he had a lot of internal parasites from the pork. He died.
7- There is a definite link between eating red meat and getting colon cancer. My father and grandfather died of colon cancer.
8 - Personally, I just don't want to eat anything that has ever had blood in it. It goes against my instincts.
9 - Fast food restaurants are one of the main reasons 2/3 of Americans are overweight. They are literally killing us.
10 - Big Macs will kill more Americans this year than guns. Next year, too.

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read it in English, thank a soldier.

Veteran
US Army 25th Infantry Division
South Viet Nam
ArmedAndVegan Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Absolutely.

I try to avoid processed foods when at all possible, but was just trying to make the point that fast and easy food can be purchased by those that cannot cook or cannot cook well.

Many of our meals are mostly comprised of whole foods or minimally processed foods, and we get better at it every day.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmakerat92 View Post
Top 10 reasons I don't eat meat:

1 - Over 2/3 of the rain forest land that is cleared is used for beef production; mainly for American fast-food restaurants.
2 - One acre of land will yield an average of 165 pounds of beef per year, but over 13,000 pounds of potatoes.
3 - Most cattle are raised in feed lots; not on open range. Conditions are so deplorable that they often stand knee-deep in their own waste and can't even fall over if they get sick or die.
4 - Because of the filthy conditions they are raised in, cattle receive massive doses of antibiotics. Ingesting meat from these animals is helping antibiotics to become less effective in humans.
5 - Because of all the growth hormones cattle receive, children who eat meat are reaching puberty earlier; sometimes as early as age 7 or 8.
6 - I could tell a very disgusting story about a person who ate pork all his life. One day he had trouble breathing and went to the ER. Suffice to say he had a lot of internal parasites from the pork. He died.
7- There is a definite link between eating red meat and getting colon cancer. My father and grandfather died of colon cancer.
8 - Personally, I just don't want to eat anything that has ever had blood in it. It goes against my instincts.
9 - Fast food restaurants are one of the main reasons 2/3 of Americans are overweight. They are literally killing us.
10 - Big Macs will kill more Americans this year than guns. Next year, too.
This guy is ****ing awesome.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #29

Liked 1093 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 55

So people are now blaming Fast Food for kids being overweight, REALLY??? Isn't that what's going on right now with a firearms ban coming. People blaming firearms for killing people.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #30

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
So people are now blaming Fast Food for kids being overweight, REALLY??? Isn't that what's going on right now with a firearms ban coming. People blaming firearms for killing people.
I thought parents had a small say in what their kids do too...
Closed Thread