any varmit trappers out there?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

any varmit trappers out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1087 Times on 846 Posts

Default any varmit trappers out there?

i found this on my property when i was mowing the back 40.
what animal would it catch?
age of trap?

File Type: jpg 100-0035_IMG.jpg (28.9 KB, 57 views)
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/7th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-8-9-10-2016-a-116842/
dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4935 Times on 2641 Posts
Likes Given: 24377

Being Polish , it would probably catch me trying to set it .!

People Like This 
Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 186 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 173

looks like a 1 1/2 size (should say on the pan) used them for raccon, possum, skunk, weasel (by accident usually use smaller size for em) muskrats. Possibly fox. If goin after bigger predators like coyote or Bobcat you wanna bujp up to a no 2 size with double springs (one each side) probaby want to add a spring to the 1.5 for fox as well really. If one ever gets away you are unlikey to ever catch it again. Probably a victor brand thoiugh I do beleive others made similar traps. Age is hard to tell as that style is still available. It doesn't look to eat up so probably no more than 15 or 20 depends how long it's been left un tended if the guy took care of his stuff it could be 50 year old trap. Should be date info and stuff stamped on the pan (the round part where their foot trip it. and if there is a hollow v in the pan it is definitely a victor brand. little wire brushing should bring out dates and stuff

Last edited by jsr5; 03-09-2015 at 08:52 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-10-2015, 01:41 AM   #4

Liked 1087 Times on 846 Posts

yep...victor!
barely can be seen written on the metal but the v is cut out in the tripper. you were a big help!
thank you!
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/7th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-8-9-10-2016-a-116842/
People Like This 
Old 03-10-2015, 02:08 AM   #5

Liked 2798 Times on 1656 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Since ther are no off-sets for the jaws it is probably an older trap, at least 20 years old. Many states require that the jaws have off-sets, or stoops that keep the jaws from closing fully. By hey will close enough to catch a foot and not let it come out of the trap, but won't close enough to break bones or cut off circulation. The idea is to be able to release any accidental species catches unharmed.

My Bridger foot holds are of an off-set jaw type. They are safe enough that I have used them to get my dogs to quit digging under the fence. Once they get snapped and caught a couple of times, all I have to do is set the trap in the area where the like to dig, visible and already sprung, and they avoid it like the plague.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:26 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

always glad when I"m actually able to contribute. I certainly learn enough here.
dango Likes This 
Old 03-10-2015, 03:31 AM   #7

Liked 1697 Times on 1142 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
i found this on my property when i was mowing the back 40.
what animal would it catch?
age of trap?
That is a foothold trap & I HATE traps !..............
Old 03-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8278 Times on 4260 Posts
Likes Given: 9548

That one could have been sitting in that spot for many decades, no trappers tag on it tells me its either really old (Prior to 1960's) or set by someone who wasnt trapping for fur.

Foothold traps arent much more cruel than Box traps if used properly. I trapped as a young kid and those I would use foot traps for drowning sets. I caught enough 3 legged Muskrats in my time to know they will do anything to escape. Land sets are less than effective for most fur bearing critters anyways cause most can and will literally chew their own leg off if you dont set them to drown them quickly. I prefer Connabear traps, they are quick and done but used properly, leg traps can be very effective and nearly as quick at bringing death to the critter if set correctly.

FYI, the old traps are becoming very collectable, that Victor could be 50+ years old and be worth 10 times what it was new. The big bear and yote traps can go for thousands.
People Like This 
Old 03-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4935 Times on 2641 Posts
Likes Given: 24377

I have a few friends that trap but not me , I just don't care for the slow death . I'm not putting it down , it's just something I don't have the heart for .
People Like This 
Old 03-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No slow death if done right and a ethical trapper checks his traps daily usually early moring to harvest his animals so they don't spend much time in the trap. Conibears kill very fast somtimes instantly. Drowning sets are a bit slower I only used them on muskrats myself (no beaver here) But properly constructed they really aren't a "lingering" death. I think lots of folks think the animals are left to starve or die of thirst not only is it unethical but in most places and for sure in missouri it is illegal not to check traps daily. I usually dispatched caught animals with a 22. one to the head and done.

And in addition keeping the animal populations down help curb distemper and rabies and other diseases. NOw THOSE are lingering suffering deaths. Responsible trapping removes pest and like hunting manages the fur bearer population. And keeps the diseases down which also protects domestic animals who may come in contact.

This was NOT a rant just giving info that might help provide a clearer point of view.

People Like This