Any suggestions for dealing with a bird? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any suggestions for dealing with a bird?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Some people use foil pie plates loosely hung in their gardens to frighten off birds; they spin in the breeze and cause flashes of bright moving light and such.

I still vote "shoot them". Maybe just airsoft?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #12

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Some people use foil pie plates loosely hung in their gardens to frighten off birds; they spin in the breeze and cause flashes of bright moving light and such.

I still vote "shoot them". Maybe just airsoft?
I have a full auto airsoft M1A1 Thompson, but the motor locked up.

Boy, that would have been fun.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #13

That's my kinda price. I may have to pick that up.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I've tried the hanging foil pans & the whirly-gigs. They work for a while, but the birds eventually get used to them, then ignore them. I had a problem with sparrows building nests in the attic louvers of my house, one time. Worst was the one under my carport, right over our car. I tacked a rubber snake to it & that worked for a while. Then I heard a gosh awful racket one day & looked out. They had gotten up the nerve to attack that snake, had pecked it into pieces & threw it down on the floor! nded up putting screen wire over it.

Live in a house with a garage now, but I have a red pickup that sits outside. A cardinal fell in love with it! He especially liked to sit where he could see himself in the outside mirrors! I kept it covered with a tarp for a long time, but that got to be a nuisance to take off & replace everytime I used it, so started leaving it off as it was easier to just keep cleaning it. Don't know if he died, moved away or just got tired of it, but haven't had a problem in a while.

Gotta be careful of killing birds. Depending on where you live, etc. many of them are protected. My wife wouldn't let me kill any of them anyway.

Last edited by gollygee; 05-24-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #15

Liked 171 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I am sure birds would get used to an owl decoy eventually also.

Birds are quite smart.

Crows are supposedly the smartest animals second only to humans. Probably smarter than a lot of humans.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #16

I vote air soft if you don't want to kill them. It will ward them off, teach them that your cars are not a fun place to play around, and get some frustration out as well.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I've tried the hanging foil pans & the whirly-gigs. They work for a while, but the birds eventually get used to them, then ignore them. I had a problem with sparrows building nests in the attic louvers of my house, one time. Worst was the one under my carport, right over our car. I tacked a rubber snake to it & that worked for a while. Then I heard a gosh awful racket one day & looked out. They had gotten up the nerve to attack that snake, had pecked it into pieces & threw it down on the floor! nded up putting screen wire over it.

Live in a house with a garage now, but I have a red pickup that sits outside. A cardinal fell in love with it! He especially liked to sit where he could see himself in the outside mirrors! I kept it covered with a tarp for a long time, but that got to be a nuisance to take off & replace everytime I used it, so started leaving it off as it was easier to just keep cleaning it. Don't know if he died, moved away or just got tired of it, but haven't had a problem in a while.

Gotta be careful of killing birds. Depending on where you live, etc. many of them are protected. My wife wouldn't let me kill any of them anyway.
That's funny.

I'm not too worried about them being protected, most are robin's. One is yellow though, I'm not too sure what it is.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #18

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

A BB gun only pumped up about five times will do the trick. It'll hit them hard enough to hurt/scare them, but not injure/kill them.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenn856 View Post
I vote air soft if you don't want to kill them. It will ward them off, teach them that your cars are not a fun place to play around, and get some frustration out as well.
I'd prefer to just kill them than take the chance of wounding them.

I haven't shot my 1911 in awhile. I know a guy who shot a crow with a 230 grain JHP .45. It blew it to bits.

I may try a decoy for a bit, before I declare war on 'em.

My brother shot a robin with a red ryder BB gun, it wounded it pretty bad, he had to put it down. It was a heck of a shot too, I'd say 30 yards

Last edited by sputnik1988; 05-24-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988

I'd prefer to just kill them than take the chance of wounding them.

I haven't shot my 1911 in awhile. I know a guy who shot a crow with a 230 grain JHP .45. It blew it to bits.

I may try a decoy for a bit, before I declare war on 'em.
I shot them with a little spring action pistol. It isn't hard enough to injure them, but it's just enough to scare them. Plus it's fun to practice aiming with a pistol.