Any reptile lovers? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any reptile lovers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

We like the gecko's that run around here. We have one now that we can hold and feed it by hand.

Snakes and spiders-forget it. I killed a water moccasin in our caged lanai/pool area about a month ago and my wife and daughter are the "spider killers".

To Tango: Florida does have a hunting season on nuisance type snakes and animals. A permit for $26 is needed on top of a hunting license. The are designated management areas within the Everglades you can hunt. Just about anything can be used except centerfire rifles. The season ends Apr. 17th this year I think. I have thought about going on a hunt so if anyone is interested, maybe next season?

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I had a ball python for many years. She was a sweetie. I usually have to relocate a few blacksnakes and corn snakes every year. We have copperheads, but very few and far between. A spider in the house gets the smoosh job even if they aren't brown recluses (reclusi?).

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aw, they're just misunderstood guys. Even the venomous out here get a clear path (and I have some killer buzztails out here). Its pretty much a guarantee that I'm going to run into one or two every time I go out. Most of the snakes I work with are American species (Cornsnakes, Kingsnakes, Milksnakes, etc). But seeing the look on someone's face when I drag out a 14 foot python... Priceless. I think the spiders are just a guilty obsession by far. I don't know why, but I've always been fascinated by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Former snake owners are the reason Fl is having such a problem with them now. Fl is starting a trapping season on them and I believe are looking at opening hunting up on them to the point of coyote if you see it shoot it type of hunting.
They are indeed, which is pretty sad IMO. Gives alot of us a bad name. While escapees are possible (hell its happened to me), I put the majority on idiots that don't know what they are getting into when they purchase. A "cute" little 2 foot baby burm doesn't look so cute when they get up to 10+ feet, and so are released. The climate in Florida is pretty much identical to Burma, and those snakes proliferate very quickly. We've has the same problem out here with Bearded Dragons. While they don't look like they'd be as imposing as the giant burmese pythons, they are slowly screwing stuff up out here. But don't group all reptile owners in that category. Not all of us are as blatantly retarded as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Things with no legs are good for hand bags and boots.
Even as a reptile enthusiast, I can appreciate that. I have a few choice snakes that will be turned into guitar straps after they take their last breaths.

Probably the best part about having them is education. I take them to local schools, youth events, and science fairs to teach kids about reptiles. Education goes a long way out here with the reptiles we have in Az. Most of the time, when you hear about some yahoo getting bit by a buzztail out here its because they are dumb enough to screw with it thinking they're Crocodile Hunter Steve. But in all honesty, even the buzztails are critical in rodent control out here.

I've had a few roll up on my patio, and I'll relocate them. I've never killed them though. Some people think I'm nuts for that. I can appreciate them for the awesome hunters they are, but I appreciate them much more if they aren't hanging out on my patio.

This pretty diamondback knocked on my back door last year. Went to go out for a smoke, and this guy was here to greet me. Talk about a great smoking deterrent, but it gave me an opportunity for some great pictures. We waited until he hid and then relocated him.

Last edited by Jynx; 04-01-2010 at 06:18 PM.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Snakes, sure. Spiders, no frickin' way.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 04-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Had my stint with spiders and scorpions.. had to give them up though for other hobby intrests plus know one would come to our house to visit.

Wifes got an albino california king snake though.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #16

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I am not a big fan of either and try to relocate when possible. I have killed a few rattlesnakes that have returned after several relocation attempts. I border the open desert here in Gold Canyon and some of these buggers seem to be territorial and come back after relocating them up to 5 miles away.

What has amazed me about rattlesnakes is their differing temperaments. I had always thought they were the same and would rattle when you got close. Some start to rattle when you are 15-20 feet away and other you practical have to step on before they rattle.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've noticed that too. The Diamonbacks are quick to rattle and are just plain mean. Alot of the other shy species (like the Mojave and the Speckled) usually won't rattle unless they think you're an immediate threat. In other words, right on top of them. I've noticed that usually only the Diamondbacks are quick to strike. Then again my motto, you can't get bit if you don't mess with them. I still carry a bite kit with me anytime I go out.

Gold Canyon eh? Thats pretty close to me. I have a Mesa address, but I can throw a rock at AJ. I'm not a big fan of the ranges out here. I'll go to Usery and Caswells every once in a while, but I prefer to go out to the Queen Valley area about 15 miles east of Florence, but its been getting more ATV traffic than usual. Have any good sites that you can share?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

i love the lil creepy crawlies. ive had almost a dozen scorpions, ive had a baby red tail, but my favorites were my rainbow amievas. i loved watchin them eat, it was so graphic. especially the female, shed grab a mouseby the neck and use her claw to put a slit down the stomach then violently shake it till all the guts were strewn about the aquarium awwwwesome

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #19

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I usually don't go out to the ranges much. I go to the desert out by Florence to shoot too.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
i love the lil creepy crawlies. ive had almost a dozen scorpions, ive had a baby red tail, but my favorites were my rainbow amievas. i loved watchin them eat, it was so graphic. especially the female, shed grab a mouseby the neck and use her claw to put a slit down the stomach then violently shake it till all the guts were strewn about the aquarium awwwwesome
death,

Where ya been man?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!