Any Rennies?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any Rennies?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Any Rennies?

Has anyone here ever attended a Rennaissance Festival?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I wanted to but when I found out you had to wear green tights I passed. Plus I don't feel like singing that stupid freecreditreport.com song, but I might go if that guy is there so I can kick him in the nuts and smash is guitar over his darn head.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #3

You are an angry, angry man.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Yeah, the Sterling Renaissance Festival outside Oswego, NY. I actually worked there for a few summers in the early 1990s. (My then-new wife talked me into it. It wasn't my idea.) The festival owners were neurotically strict about authenticity: none of this green-tight bullsh*t. The year was 1585 and the location was Warwick, England. You needed period clothing made out of period material and it had to be hand sewn (or at the very least no machine stitching could be visible). Period dialect and accent were required. Swords, daggers and jewelry had to be appropriate to the period. Absolutely no anachronisms were allowed including eyeglasses, plastic, cameras or even a tan line from your wristwatch. If it didn't exist in 1585, you didn't wear it, hold it, drink from it or eat off it. (Money was the only exception to this rule.)

It was actually pretty cool and well done.

Unfortunately, ownership changed and it has started going downhill.

I still have a ton of battle-ready blades from when I worked there, too, which is cool.

But oh, how I miss the cleavage. Chicks were plentiful, gorgeous and extremely outgoing and friendly. One fine lady with enormous hooters who worked there wore a low-cut chemise and would put grapes in her ample cleavage and offer you some. Just shove your face in her chest and have at it. Good family fun.

Sometimes, we'd get guests who thought dressing up like Robin Hood was appropriate. Others dressed in duct tape "armor" with cardboard shields. We'd mercilessly mock the hell out of those freaks.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #5

Now that sounds incredibly cool.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tango, you a funny guy. Thanks for todays LOL.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

On a serious note. I have always wanted to go to one really. Thought it would be fun to drink some mead and knaw on a turkey leg.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I went to one in the early nineties. It was a different experience for sure. Some folks were truly and deeply into it. I would go again sometime just for fun, it's not my thing, but it was enjoyable.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #9

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

There was alot of man love going on in that period of history. There was also a lack of cleanliness. Don't forget the plague and consumption. Stanky, toothless, nappy haired ladies were common. I would imagine vaginosis was very common as well. Anyone experience those things at those fairs?

Don't forget about VDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3483 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I went to about six of them in the late 90's. I had a friend who was "competing" in the Knight's Tournament and we would go and heckle the hell out of him. It was awesome fun. He would take a serious beating but won about 70% of his fights. They would hit him and he would have to "drop" one weapon and hold his arm limp ( he used a mace and long "sword" ) and somehow always managed to get hit in his sword arm, which was his dominant arm ).

The food was great. Everything was grease dripping off your wrist good.

I definitely enjoyed the time spent there at the Fair grounds. But, people do take that stuff a bit too seriously.

JD