Any radio operators here? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any radio operators here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
By god I was a Rad Op for 6 years, US Army trained in Ft Gordon GA! That said, others can give you much better current info than I could today. One of the biggest consideration is who your talking to, where they are and what they can install, have, etc. As someone else mentioned, Distance is less of a problem if your line of sight than if your trying to hop over hills and through lots of forest overgrowth and other buffers. There are some higher freq rigs you can buy now that are pretty solid, most need licenses to use and all are better with a good outdoor antenna than a whip. Almost any antenna can be made directional according to configuration, placement, cut, ballast and other variables, you can research options that would work best for your location. You dont always need a giant tower to reach out far, Ive set ballast loaded AM directional antennas off 20' trees that CAN REACH TOKYO on a good day. OK, maybe a little stretch and those were big radios that threw lightning bolts for signals but you get the point, the antenna can make the system but it doesnt have to break your bank. You can get much more distance out of a directional antenna than a wide angle PU/ Transmit.

Sat phones arent necessarily inexpensive by any means but they can be the most reliable communications as long as uncle sugar keeps the lines open but thats not assured in a SHTF scenario.
Were you a RTT rig operator by chance?

Old 07-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #12
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6144 Times on 3044 Posts
Likes Given: 6519

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratrider View Post
Were you a RTT rig operator by chance?
I did some time in a RATRIG, noisy buggers in there but it was kinda nice to lock the world out! Also FM Retrans in Germany. That was the best job ever, as long as comms were up, nobody really cared where we were, just somewhere about half way from the front to the rear. 2 four hour Shifts a day watching the radios and other than that it was pretty much party time!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I did some time in a RATRIG, noisy buggers in there but it was kinda nice to lock the world out! Also FM Retrans in Germany. That was the best job ever, as long as comms were up, nobody really cared where we were, just somewhere about half way from the front to the rear. 2 four hour Shifts a day watching the radios and other than that it was pretty much party time!
I hear ya Webley. I was in Field Artillery and the Rat rigs followed us everywhere we went. It's hard to believe how far technology has advanced since then with SAT phones, cell phones and internet. We would go to White Sands, N.M. to fire our missile once a year and I can remember one of our RTT operators telling me that he could talk half way around the world with that rig. Pretty impressive then and now.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6144 Times on 3044 Posts
Likes Given: 6519

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratrider View Post
I hear ya Webley. I was in Field Artillery and the Rat rigs followed us everywhere we went. It's hard to believe how far technology has advanced since then with SAT phones, cell phones and internet. We would go to White Sands, N.M. to fire our missile once a year and I can remember one of our RTT operators telling me that he could talk half way around the world with that rig. Pretty impressive then and now.
No kidding, those AM's were hot radios. Sometimes when we were using the whip antenna, if it was humid or wet, they would arc to the camo netting (or humans if you were too close, ouch.

The radios have come a long ways alright, especially from an encryption POV, its magic now and tiny 10lb packages not 150lb monster transmitters that acted like furnaces. I dont envy your time behind the gun, those suckers hurt your head even with protection. My second mos for the last 16 years was 11H AA, thats a whole nother story, I really missed my days up on a big hills listening to 2 FM Radio's talk at each other about nothing important...