Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any PMC's Here! Security contractors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Default Any PMC's Here! Security contractors?

It seems like every private military contractor group requires you to have past military or law enforcment exp. I am not/never was in the military or police organizatrion but im trained in tactical and securtiy measures. Why is it so hard to find a simple contract with a company in security. I dont care where it is or what it is as long as its not completely illegal and the pay is there and also the company is legit and offers contracts to keep me busy. Any PMC'S or former contractors that have any tips or info on were to get started?

Have Gun....Will Travel

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2759 Times on 1598 Posts
Likes Given: 1205

A lot of navy bases are going with civilian contractors for security. Take a look at some of the job sites. The base where I work at had an opeining for an armorer a couple of months back. Once your foot is in the door........

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For base security type jobs, try usajobs or securitas. Onc's are a little harder to get in with, at least the reputable ones. They prefer former military types and tend to actively recruit rather than take applications.

EXPENDABLE

Old 11-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

I know of the major company's and have looked at the websites and they all want prior military or law enforcment service. And when i say securtiy contractor i mean security I mean that only. Im notinterested in other positions like armoror but i know what you mean with military bases hiring for those kind of jobs the problem is the jobs I would apply for the military bases already has mp's to cover it. But thank you for the info and the advice i do appriciate it.

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Actually, many military bases are contracting out physical security, like guard duty, to security contracting companies. Holding the service members for interior roles and law enforcement type taskings.

EXPENDABLE

Old 11-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2706 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
Actually, many military bases are contracting out physical security, like guard duty, to security contracting companies. Holding the service members for interior roles and law enforcement type taskings.

EXPENDABLE
Deployment commitments have been a big driver as well. When 1/3 of your security folks are downrange, it's really hard to cover the basics without a huge toll on morale among those catching the overtime. Here at Hill AFB, they were using contractors for a few years. A year or so ago they made those jobs Civil Service.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 493 Times on 305 Posts

You want a job doing security then join the military they will pay you for it and you cant beat the training or the bond you have for your fellow man t

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1992d View Post
It seems like every private military contractor group requires you to have past military or law enforcment exp. I am not/never was in the military or police organizatrion but im trained in tactical and securtiy measures. Why is it so hard to find a simple contract with a company in security. I dont care where it is or what it is as long as its not completely illegal and the pay is there and also the company is legit and offers contracts to keep me busy. Any PMC'S or former contractors that have any tips or info on were to get started?

Without combat experience or at least ample military service in a combat arms MOS you're not going to get run & gun or close protection--or even facilities protection--in high threat areas, and thats where the big contracts are. And because of liability domestic companies like to hire experienced military or LEOs to fill armed security slots. And that includes armored car security and defense contractor facilities protection. That's great that you've had training, but there are thousands of guys ahead of you looking for gigs who've actually been on the sharp edge. You might have to settle for unarmed domestic facilities protection in a low threat environment...and you might not get a "contract."

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 11-28-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
dmp

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Army installations are swapping to DoD Police. Ours cancelled/ended the contract force and hired DA Civilians in lower grades (mostly GS5, 7, 9). We lost a lot of good contractors because the hiring gave requirement or preference to Veterans - which is a GOOD thing; can't have it both ways I suppose.

Civilians deploy LOTS. Our installation has about 1500 civ deployments per year (of which I was one last year). Now, if one wants to DEPLOY, be a contractor or Soldier. Civ's get the worst of it; although it's not bad. For a one year deployment, a contractor earns the first 90k of their pay FREE from income tax. The rest is taxed normally. DoD civilians do not enjoy that luxury. Also, Contractors tend to get more and more flexible time off while deployed.

I suggest looking into enlistment as MP or SP, etc. GREAT training. Great contacts later in life, too.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

if you have been in the military or police force you have probably learned discipline. its not the same as just taking a two week training course. doing it for real has that crazy ability to give experience you cant get in a canned civilian classroom.

thats why they do it.

just join the military its not that bad especially now that basic has really been watered down to little better than a boy scout outing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...