Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Any PMC's Here! Security contractors? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/any-pmcs-here-security-contractors-52664/)

jon1992d 11-28-2011 08:34 PM

Any PMC's Here! Security contractors?

It seems like every private military contractor group requires you to have past military or law enforcment exp. I am not/never was in the military or police organizatrion but im trained in tactical and securtiy measures. Why is it so hard to find a simple contract with a company in security. I dont care where it is or what it is as long as its not completely illegal and the pay is there and also the company is legit and offers contracts to keep me busy. Any PMC'S or former contractors that have any tips or info on were to get started?

danf_fl 11-28-2011 09:09 PM

A lot of navy bases are going with civilian contractors for security. Take a look at some of the job sites. The base where I work at had an opeining for an armorer a couple of months back. Once your foot is in the door........

countryboy 11-28-2011 09:13 PM

For base security type jobs, try usajobs or securitas. Onc's are a little harder to get in with, at least the reputable ones. They prefer former military types and tend to actively recruit rather than take applications.

EXPENDABLE

jon1992d 11-28-2011 09:14 PM

I know of the major company's and have looked at the websites and they all want prior military or law enforcment service. And when i say securtiy contractor i mean security I mean that only. Im notinterested in other positions like armoror but i know what you mean with military bases hiring for those kind of jobs the problem is the jobs I would apply for the military bases already has mp's to cover it. But thank you for the info and the advice i do appriciate it.

countryboy 11-28-2011 09:28 PM

Actually, many military bases are contracting out physical security, like guard duty, to security contracting companies. Holding the service members for interior roles and law enforcement type taskings.

EXPENDABLE

Overkill0084 11-28-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboy (Post 638395)
Actually, many military bases are contracting out physical security, like guard duty, to security contracting companies. Holding the service members for interior roles and law enforcement type taskings.

EXPENDABLE

Deployment commitments have been a big driver as well. When 1/3 of your security folks are downrange, it's really hard to cover the basics without a huge toll on morale among those catching the overtime. Here at Hill AFB, they were using contractors for a few years. A year or so ago they made those jobs Civil Service.

SSGSF 11-28-2011 10:04 PM

You want a job doing security then join the military they will pay you for it and you cant beat the training or the bond you have for your fellow man t

7point62 11-28-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon1992d (Post 638336)
It seems like every private military contractor group requires you to have past military or law enforcment exp. I am not/never was in the military or police organizatrion but im trained in tactical and securtiy measures. Why is it so hard to find a simple contract with a company in security. I dont care where it is or what it is as long as its not completely illegal and the pay is there and also the company is legit and offers contracts to keep me busy. Any PMC'S or former contractors that have any tips or info on were to get started?

Without combat experience or at least ample military service in a combat arms MOS you're not going to get run & gun or close protection--or even facilities protection--in high threat areas, and thats where the big contracts are. And because of liability domestic companies like to hire experienced military or LEOs to fill armed security slots. And that includes armored car security and defense contractor facilities protection. That's great that you've had training, but there are thousands of guys ahead of you looking for gigs who've actually been on the sharp edge. You might have to settle for unarmed domestic facilities protection in a low threat environment...and you might not get a "contract."

dmp 11-28-2011 11:15 PM

Army installations are swapping to DoD Police. Ours cancelled/ended the contract force and hired DA Civilians in lower grades (mostly GS5, 7, 9). We lost a lot of good contractors because the hiring gave requirement or preference to Veterans - which is a GOOD thing; can't have it both ways I suppose.

Civilians deploy LOTS. Our installation has about 1500 civ deployments per year (of which I was one last year). Now, if one wants to DEPLOY, be a contractor or Soldier. Civ's get the worst of it; although it's not bad. For a one year deployment, a contractor earns the first 90k of their pay FREE from income tax. The rest is taxed normally. DoD civilians do not enjoy that luxury. Also, Contractors tend to get more and more flexible time off while deployed.

I suggest looking into enlistment as MP or SP, etc. GREAT training. Great contacts later in life, too.

JonM 11-28-2011 11:39 PM

if you have been in the military or police force you have probably learned discipline. its not the same as just taking a two week training course. doing it for real has that crazy ability to give experience you cant get in a canned civilian classroom.

thats why they do it.

just join the military its not that bad especially now that basic has really been watered down to little better than a boy scout outing.