any Mike Patton/Mr. Bungle/Fantomas fans?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > any Mike Patton/Mr. Bungle/Fantomas fans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default any Mike Patton/Mr. Bungle/Fantomas fans?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess not.

Mr. Bungle is an Avant-garde, experimental rock band that Mike Patton and some friends started when they were back in high school. A lot of their influence can be heard in rock music today.

Fantomas is a super group that Mike Patton formed when Mr. Bungle finally hung it up. Mike Patton is the vocalist and plays keyboards. The bassist, Trevor Dunn, stayed on from Mr. Bungle. They recruited Buzz Osborne, of the Melvins, as the guitarist and Dave Lombardo, of Slayer, came on to do drums.

Mike Patton started Faith No More as a side project while he was still with Mr. Bungle. Who can forget their hit Epic?

Recently, Mike Patton has formed a band called Tomahawk. Their guitar player is from Jesus Lizard. The drummer is the original drummer from Helmet and the bassist is from the Melvins and Cows.

You Tube has butt loads for videos from all 3 bands. If you're even remotely interested in any of the associated acts, you owe it to yourself to check them out.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here are some of my favorites pulled from You Tube:

Mr. Bungle, Carosel:

Fantomas, Simply Beautiful:

Fantomas, Ave Satani - The Omen:

Tomahawk, God Hates a Coward:

And of course, Faith No More, Epic:

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 11-18-2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: objectionable lyrics

Old 11-19-2008, 03:46 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good Stuff!

I've heard of Mr Bungle, but never heard anything.....

I'm especially fond of the 1st link and the Tomahawk link

Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
Good Stuff!

I've heard of Mr Bungle, but never heard anything.....

I'm especially fond of the 1st link and the Tomahawk link
I absolufreakinglutely love the Tomhawk song. There is something about the way the rhythm track plays off of they lyrics that screams sheer power. I'm also enamored with the sound that he gets out of the respirator mic and love the 3 microphone combination.

Here is another awesome song from that same Tomahawk performance:

Carousel is pure genius as well. Mike Patton is an understated genius.

I'm guessing, from the screen name that you know something of music?

Does this one do anything for you? It's a little too techno for me:

Roger Waters

Last edited by matt g; 11-19-2008 at 05:44 AM.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:09 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yup....like that one too....

looks like I'll be buying some mags for the glock...and some cds tonight :-)

I'm a musician, so I'm quite impressed at the drummer's ability to stay that steady....if you listen to the tremmello (sp) on the guitar, the tempo never waivers from his original setting...and from what I can tell, this is with no click track....

Old 11-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Mike Patton tends to seek out or attract very talented and experienced musicians. The drummer for Tomahawk is a classically trained jazz drummer. The first band he was with, Helmet, got together while they were all studying in school. Helmet was an outlet for them that wasn't jazz.

The drummer for Fantomas is Dave Lombardo of Slayer, who is by far the best drummer in music today. His talent and skill are rivaled only by the late John Bonham. Dave Lombardo is able to completely change time signatures and tempos seamlessly and without missing a beat.

The guitar players and bassists for both bands are super talented and have been playing for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(band)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fant%C3%B4mas_(band)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_bungle

Roger Waters

Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmmm, while I agree the drummer is solid, I must respectfully disagree about him being the best drummer by far...

I'm a Dream Theater nut, and Mike Portnoy is quite a talented dude...(just incase you're not familiar with DT, the 3 founding members (John Pettrucci-guitar, John Myung-bass, and Portnoy) are all Berkley Music School grads....they've gone through a few singers (current, since late 80's) is James Lebrie, and a few keyboardists (current is Jordan Ruddess..since early 2000 i believe)

Give them a listen, if you're into progressive rock...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falseharmonix View Post
Hmmm, while I agree the drummer is solid, I must respectfully disagree about him being the best drummer by far...

I'm a Dream Theater nut, and Mike Portnoy is quite a talented dude...(just incase you're not familiar with DT, the 3 founding members (John Pettrucci-guitar, John Myung-bass, and Portnoy) are all Berkley Music School grads....they've gone through a few singers (current, since late 80's) is James Lebrie, and a few keyboardists (current is Jordan Ruddess..since early 2000 i believe)

Give them a listen, if you're into progressive rock...
Progressive rock tends to be a little boring to me, though I do have a few Dream Theater CDs.

Roger Waters