You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Any mechanics in the house???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 267 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
You probably just need some ball bearings and a left-handed-metric-crescent wrench and you will be all set....

That's actually what I used. AND IT WORKED!!!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If your old compressor seized up and you installed a new one did you inspect the orrifice tube for debris ? usually they will be full of metal from the seized compressor. If you didn't inspect and fully flush the system then its going to be a time bomb and the new compressor wont last and do the same thing.

When you have a compressor failure, always first look at the orrifice tube ( on a cycling sw system) and if there is evidence of catastrophic failure then you have to change the accumulator and flush all the other hard parts before starting the new compressor.

If you old one just seized and didn't circulate any metal particles you will probably be ok. Axxe55 nailed it on this,, Yes you should always vacuum the system to get all the air and moisture out and wont get it nearly as cold without but you can get it to work by just blasting a charge in.

Last edited by ktmboyz; 08-05-2012 at 04:52 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #23

Liked 267 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
If your old compressor seized up and you installed a new one did you inspect the orrifice tube for debris ? usually they will be full of metal from the seized compressor. If you didn't inspect and fully flush the system then its going to be a time bomb and the new compressor wont last and do the same thing.

When you have a compressor failure, always first look at the orrifice tube ( on a cycling sw system) and if there is evidence of catastrophic failure then you have to change the accumulator and flush all the other hard parts before starting the new compressor.

If you old one just seized and didn't circulate any metal particles you will probably be ok. Axxe55 nailed it on this,, Yes you should always vacuum the system to get all the air and moisture out and wont get it nearly as cold without but you can get it to work by just blasting a charge in.
Well it didnt seize per say sorry I should have clarified that ...... it litterally worked perfect and then I didnt use the a/c for a long time ..... and when I tried to use it nothing happened. So it more froze than seized and it was the clutch that froze on top of that.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22400 Times on 12495 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
Well it didnt seize per say sorry I should have clarified that ...... it litterally worked perfect and then I didnt use the a/c for a long time ..... and when I tried to use it nothing happened. So it more froze than seized and it was the clutch that froze on top of that.
well with you living in Florida and all that humidity, and you didn't pull a vacuum, the system will fail again.i can't say how long, could be a couple of months, might get a year out of it, but it will fail again. any moisture in the system, as RJD explained is going to become acidic and wreck the internal parts of the AC system. when you open the AC lines, moisture is introduced into the system. this is why you pull a vacuum. it might be working, but it isn't working properly or at peak performance.

if only the clucth had siezed or froze up, it would have been better to just replace the clutch and then you would not have had to open the system. most parts stores like O'Rielly's or Autozone will rent you the tool to replace the clutch on the AC compressor for a small fee or sometimes for free.