Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Any Lawyers or Civil Rights Experts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any Lawyers or Civil Rights Experts?

I am looking for opinions on a topic that is at present, very in the news here in Vermont. The state is very strongly considering "decriminalizing" the possession of one oz. or less of marijuana. It would still be illegal meaning if one is caught with it, they would receive a civil ticket which is dealt with through the traffic bureau same as a traffic ticket. The state handles underage drinking the same way which does not work. I cannot even begin to imagine how a state can "decriminalize" something that the Federal Government made illegal. If I recall my government classes from college, states can implement laws that are MORE restrictive than federal law, but not LESS restrictive. And if this is something that the state puts in place what input, if any, would the federal government have? I suspect the feds could revoke highway funding and other federal finacial aid as they threatened when the drinking age went to 21 nationwide. Just looking for some insight as to how this could be possible, not whether you agree or not. Actually, that too if you want to explain. Thanks.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 03-20-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2008, 03:42 AM   #2

Yes jeepcreep they can. (Example Cali's medical pot laws.) I spend alot of the winter months in BC Canada. So I see alot of the pros nd cons first hand. I don't see any good in it overall around Vancouver or Whistler. Pot is the first step in alot addicts paths to rock bottom. Some people just smoke weed moderately and live a happy and fullfilling life. But the problem is, this new law sends the wrong message to people about smoking pot. It will make more Vermonters try it, therefore opening themselves up to a possible dark and horrible future. People are born with a drug addiction gene in them. some people have it and some don't. Just like some people have blue eyes some don't. So right thing to do is stay away of drugs. I tell alot of kids who look up to me, why take the chance like that. You not missing whole heck of alot. So to sum it all up, less drug laws more addicts and this for what so some of the population of your state can go around thinking this is great dude.While so many people than before are being intro'ed to a incureable disease that will ruin them and their's. Survey Says! EERRRRR

Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The libertarian streak in me comes out in discussions like this, so I apologize in advance for upsetting anyone.

I do not use pot or any drugs currently deemed "illegal" and I do not recommend that anyone use them. But what you choose to do to yourself is your business, not mine or the government's.

First, the Federal Government has no constitutional authority to ban the ingestion or inhalation of substances. No where in the Constitution is the Federal Government responsible for protecting us from ourselves.

Second, while states may not supersede Constitutional law, they absolutely do have more authority than the Feds. At least, that's the way it used to work and, IMO, should work again.

Third, prohibition simply doesn't work. People will get what they want, one way or another.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
The libertarian streak in me comes out in discussions like this, so I apologize in advance for upsetting anyone.

I do not use pot or any drugs currently deemed "illegal" and I do not recommend that anyone use them. But what you choose to do to yourself is your business, not mine or the government's.

First, the Federal Government has no constitutional authority to ban the ingestion or inhalation of substances. No where in the Constitution is the Federal Government responsible for protecting us from ourselves.

Second, while states may not supersede Constitutional law, they absolutely do have more authority than the Feds. At least, that's the way it used to work and, IMO, should work again.

Third, prohibition simply doesn't work. People will get what they want, one way or another.
+1

and re the addictive gene: the worst addiction to kick is smoking....even worse than heroin.

i've known pot users and cocaine users that held jobs, had successful marriages, were great parents, bought homes and paid taxes. yes, there are a few who can't handle it, but there are those that can and do so responsibly.

my point of view: legalize it and tax it.

movie zombie

Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 PM   #5

well think on this there are hundreds of plants that get you high
Salvia Divinorum is just 1 and it is legal in most states we all know about payote in my opinion it all has potential revinew for this country and god put it here 4 us so y not use it to help ppl who cant help them selfs plus look at beer and we made that

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #6

My thought is, amongst all this, is ONE single piss ant state can't possibly think this this a good idea if they do it alone. It will not be regulated and opens a lot of other doors. Everyone who wants to get baked will think it's great to get caught with .999 oz. and only get a civil ticket. We already have problems with a significant amount of heroin coming from Hartford, CT and Springfield MA and NYC primarily. My thought is that if an ounce of weed is okay in VT, but not in NY, MA or CT, then it will become a mecca. With that influx inevitably comes the heavier drugs and trading a few grams of dope for a few ounces of weed to take back to said state suddenly becomes a bit more attractive. H is "imported" from areas where it's more available. Weed will be pretty available in VT due to lax enforcement. The implications are pretty clear to me. But, if the oportunity arose, I agree. Legalize it nationwide, regulate it and tax the hell out of it.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #7

Jeepcreep that's what has already happened in Vancouver. As for that old saying cigarettes are harder to quit than heroin. The withdrawal symptoms for tobacco include a short temper and mild to major cravings for 36 hours after than it's all in your head. Heroin withdrawal symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, severe aches and backs, the sweats and not sleeping for about a week. After one week sometimes a little longer, it's all in your head.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #8

I have yet to quit nicotine , but have witnessed a few dozen people trying to kick heroin. None of the ones I know of has done it successfully, permanently. They give up their jobs, kids, whatever. I am not comparing it to marijuana, but I can foresee it as the small hole in the dike that will get progressively bigger. Then in ten years the oh so progressive leaders will wonder what happened, but still try to justify state funded rehab centers. I have said it before, even though it sounds simplistic: Can I get free guns and Jeep parts because I am "addicted" to them? I am sure I could articulate that not having them will impact me to the extent that I cannot function in society. Not to use too many metaphores, but this thing is going to snowball. I can't believe that somone who is supposed to be sufficiently educated and aware could be so short sighted. I know that a lot of talk on here centers around the government trying to protect people from themselves (i.e. gun control), but I can't swallow this without gagging a little.